Standing still is falling behind

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m sure our American friends on this forum can provide more accurate info, but as I understand it the NFL thing is fairly restricted, with the likelihood of a UK franchise still highly improbable.
With more and more games played in London, around 6 a season when Tottenham starts hosting them, I'd say it's more likely than unlikely.
But like you said, our American fans would be more qualified to comment. Maybe we should tag a few for their opinions

Hey Natty Roots Natty Roots You thought that last one was funny? Stick around you twat - I’ve got loads more. It’s midnight and all you’ve got is pressing disagree. I feel for you. How utterly sad. Join in the Spurs stuff you radical man. Maybe there’s something you can agree with?

With more and more games played in London, around 6 a season when Tottenham starts hosting them, I'd say it's more likely than unlikely.
But like you said, our American fans would be more qualified to comment. Maybe we should tag a few for their opinions

I’d say it’s more unlikely. As I understand it, there’s a huge resistance to having a non-American franchise. The exhibition games are important because the NFL is very popular in Europe, but we’re a long way off having a permanent London team involved. Decades off.

The travel is probably too far to be really practical. Maybe cheaper hypersonic commercial jet travel could change that. Who knows how far that could be away though. Certainly would have to think it's within the lifetime of this stadium, however...

In either case, it does make sense though for the NFL to have a venue in London ready to host potentially more NFL games. Maybe eventually every NFL team plays an additional inter-conference game in London once a year, for example.

ENIC I'm sure are interested in growing their revenue and making their company more valuable. You have to believe the combo-pitch is undeniable proof that they have long-term NFL plans in mind. I'm not really sure how this affects THFC though, unless the combo-pitch caused us to fail in the transfer window somehow (no cash on hand, for example).

Why wont anyone address the fact we have more points than this time last year after 5 games?
We have started better, with no signings.
Last summer we spent 75M and were a point worse off at this stage.

Why dont people address facts that they dont like. Its still a fact if you keep ignoring it. It doesnt go away because you pretend it didnt happen.

Its just a bit of a moot point isn't it? It's a hypothetical issue. We may have more points if we'd signed a great player, we might be where Liverpool and Chelsea are now, or we might be worse off? We might have been even worse off last season if we hadn't signed anyone. The two seasons are completely different, even the first 5 games are a completely different set of circumstances aren't they?

I don't get excited about signing players very often, believe me, but the impact of signing or not signing is measured over the course of the season (in the case of not signing) or the season and longer in the case of signings. because we haven't signed anyone, might not have damaged us for the first five games, but over the course of the season, injuries etc, it might damage us?

I know fuck all about Surrey.
Marlow was nice though. Affluent.

I suppose so. Like any other town it’s still full of wankers, just a different type of wanker. Good for a visit, but not for me, at least not every day despite my proximity to it. I have to drive 600 miles north to get my jollies - to feel alive in a car with no roof. I love your country.

Its just a bit of a moot point isn't it? It's a hypothetical issue. We may have more points if we'd signed a great player, we might be where Liverpool and Chelsea are now, or we might be worse off? We might have been even worse off last season if we hadn't signed anyone. The two seasons are completely different, even the first 5 games are a completely different set of circumstances aren't they?

I don't get excited about signing players very often, believe me, but the impact of signing or not signing is measured over the course of the season (in the case of not signing) or the season and longer in the case of signings. because we haven't signed anyone, might not have damaged us for the first five games, but over the course of the season, injuries etc, it might damage us?

It was a surprisingly good start given our injury concerns.

Not signing anyone might work out alright, but if we fail to return to better squad health/fitness soon, we could easily have a sustained downturn that fatally damages our season before we have a chance to address it in the winter window.

It’s been a while since I partook in a spot of jousting, but as a rule I aim for the opponent’s horse’s throat.
Me too, but I get letters from the ALF. I’ve had to erect a steel fence and guard towers just because I indulge my guests when we have a barbecue. I don’t see why I should be persecuted just because I have land. Absolute disgrace. And I’m rich. This doesn’t seem to count in modern England. I can’t even kill foxes anymore. It’s a bloody disgusting Jerry - that’s what it is.

Last edited:
Like I've said numerous times, there aren't many people who are advocating "Poch Out" - I think it is a genuine frustration that we have been very close the last three seasons but the investment for those last few pieces is lacking. I agree half and half scarfs should be banned as well as Londoners supporting the a Scouse team. A number of years ago I had the misfortune of going to Anfield (What a dump) - the best part was the way home with Spurs fans owning the buffet car on the train and fighting all the Liverpool fans who lived down south!!!

We've been punching above our weight for the past four seasons. Maybe it's finally caught up with us?

No, I just think you need a bit of a refresh each season. Doesn't have to be radical but it has to happen.

To me there are some obvious areas that need addressing and I sicken for example at hearing or reading that there is no striker who would come to us to be Kane's understudy. Too right. How about coming because you think you are better than Kane?

I think the situation we find ourselves in and by that I mean the current negativity could have been avoided and without breaking the bank.

I called it out in the summer, was still sceptical when we won our first 3 games, fumed at the mamner of the Watford loss and expected us to succumb to Liverpool.

We need to see some changes in the line-up but our squad is still a very good one but maybe one that needed to be reminded it still has a long way to go and needs to return to basics.

Back
Top Bottom