Standing still is falling behind

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No but from the Double, to European Cup finals, Fa Cups to nothing......

Standing still is going backwards right?

Bill Nic Out

Standing still means not investing in the team to make it better. Even Man City who blew everyone away last season signed another attacking midfielder to add to the many they already have

Bill Nic was always active in the transfer market. He created the great double team. He could have simply rested on his laurels and said fcuk buying anyone else after all his team had just won the double, how could he improve upon that. But what did he do, he went and signed Jimmy Greaves for a British record sum. :ledleylick:

Standing still means not investing in the team to make it better. Even Man City who blew everyone away last season signed another attacking midfielder to add to the many they already have

Bill Nic was always active in the transfer market. He created the great double team. He could have simply rested on his laurels and said fcuk buying anyone else after all his team had just won the double, how could he improve upon that. But what did he do, he went and signed Jimmy Greaves for a British record sum. :ledleylick:

So, win the Double, sign Greaves for a record fee, dont win the Double (or even title) ever again.

How does this work again?

Well we had but we were terrible. Going out against genk was a joke

It's a shame that two of our greatest seasons were during a time when Leicester won the league, a freak season that'll likely never happen again, and Chelsea had no European football.

Since then, our players have all gotten a bit older, a bit more complacent, Guardiola has transformed City, Liverpool look stronger than ever and 2 key components of those teams are leaving within 9 months.

We'll get out of this 'mess' and we'll go on a strong run. We always do. Just need to make sure we can capitilise when others around us drop points. I don't think the title is on, but top four is well within our reach. Man Utd don't look very good at all. Woolwich are Woolwich. - Chelsea, City and Liverpool look likely to all finish top four based on early results but remember in Liverpool and Chelsea's case, it's about how you react after your first loss.

So, win the Double, sign Greaves for a record fee, dont win the Double (or even title) ever again.

How does this work again?

Ok it was a massive mistake in signing Greaves:pochrolleyes:

Bill Nic should have passed up the chance to sign one of the best finishers in the world because he should have realised that his teams would not win a league title with Greaves in the team

Bill Nic - knobhead

Ok it was a massive mistake in signing Greaves:pochrolleyes:

Bill Nic should have passed up the chance to sign one of the best finishers in the world because he should have realised that his teams would not win a league title with Greaves in the team

Bill Nic - knobhead

Not at all. Simply pointing out that record signings don’t mean more success.

Unless not winning the Double with Greaves is better than winning it, without him.

It's a shame that two of our greatest seasons were during a time when Leicester won the league, a freak season that'll likely never happen again, and Chelsea had no European football.

Since then, our players have all gotten a bit older, a bit more complacent, Guardiola has transformed City, Liverpool look stronger than ever and 2 key components of those teams are leaving within 9 months.

We'll get out of this 'mess' and we'll go on a strong run. We always do. Just need to make sure we can capitilise when others around us drop points. I don't think the title is on, but top four is well within our reach. Man Utd don't look very good at all. Woolwich are Woolwich. - Chelsea, City and Liverpool look likely to all finish top four based on early results but remember in Liverpool and Chelsea's case, it's about how you react after your first loss.
It’s between us and united for the final spot on the champions league.

Like I've said numerous times, there aren't many people who are advocating "Poch Out" - I think it is a genuine frustration that we have been very close the last three seasons but the investment for those last few pieces is lacking. I agree half and half scarfs should be banned as well as Londoners supporting the a Scouse team. A number of years ago I had the misfortune of going to Anfield (What a dump) - the best part was the way home with Spurs fans owning the buffet car on the train and fighting all the Liverpool fans who lived down south!!!

Half scarves should be banned anyone on this Forum caught wearing should receive a lifetime ban

Who has actually said Poch out?

Not at all. Simply pointing out that record signings don’t mean more success.

Unless not winning the Double with Greaves is better than winning it, without him.

Actually Greaves was signed in the January of the 61/62 season. Who knows, maybe if he had arrived before the season started we may have won the title again:allitongue:

I think throughout history managers have always tried to improve upon what they have. Whether they previously won the title or avoided relegation it is extremely rare for a club not to sign anyone ahead of a new season.

Win Britains first Euro trophy that's how it work.

Yet we won Britain’s first ever Double without him, and most of the same squad were there in 63.

Suggests to me that Euro Glory wasn’t solely because we signed Greaves.
Otherwise what happened in 64,65,66,68,69 and 70 then?

Like John you’d have been slagging off the club in those seasons screaming how Mackay is shit now

Yet we won Britain’s first ever Double without him, and most of the same squad were there in 63.

Suggests to me that Euro Glory wasn’t solely because we signed Greaves.
Otherwise what happened in 64,65,66,68,69 and 70 then?

Like John you’d have been slagging off the club in those seasons screaming how Mackay is shit now
Don't be silly , the Bill Nicks years were full of glory , they were winners unlike today but the club was built to challenge for silverware not just for revenue as today .

Don't be silly , the Bill Nicks years were full of glory , they were winners unlike today but the club was built to challenge for silverware not just for revenue as today .

I’m fully aware of what that era was.

I’m pointing out that there probably a few entitled cunts in the fan base back then though, crying that we had regressed by the end of the 60s...

Probably a few in the 50s too who thought we were taking too long to repeat the title success of 51 and the squad was shit.....

DnTIH5sXoAA6A5U.jpg

How are Uniteds odds that much better than ours!?

Back
Top Bottom