Standing still is falling behind

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I see where you're coming from. I agree there seems to be some discord in the dressing room, but I have my own theory as to why thats so.

I think it stems from Poch.
I think he's completely disillusioned and deflated at our non transfer window and it's having a negative effect on team morale.
In fact, if it wasn't for his new, improved 8.5million salary I think he'd have already walked. I still wouldn't be surprised if he's gone by Xmas, although I'm hoping he'll hold on to see if the January window shows more intent.

I.

Genuine question.....why would you want a manager that it is here for the money, but has thrown his toys out of the pram and let his negativity filter down through the players and affect our performances and results. And that you think has so little integrity as to walk away halfway through the season.

That is what you are saying right, to be clear, before you accuse me of making it up.

If I believed those accusations (because thats what they are) about the manager, Id want him fired tomorrow.
Luckily for me, I dont believe everything has conspiracy behind it.

For me its just football.....sometimes its shit, and you lose.

Not really because one minute you are claiming that you berated Poch, and hounded him for it, then the next you are playing down your harsh words as being unwarranted.

Which is it?
Ok.I think it was footballing criminal negligence for Poch to leave Toby out of the team / squad when he was clearly fit and willing to play...If it was Poch's decision alone, then shame on him.
If he was carrying out the wishes of his paymaster, then even more shame on him for not standing up for himself and telling Levy to Fuck right off.

And the same applies to dropping a fit Hugo Lloris for a crash test dummy like Vorm for the FA cup semi final.

Better?

Genuine question.....why would you want a manager that it is here for the money, but has thrown his toys out of the pram and let his negativity filter down through the players and affect our performances and results. And that you think has so little integrity as to walk away halfway through the season.

That is what you are saying right, to be clear, before you accuse me of making it up.

If I believed those accusations (because thats what they are) about the manager, Id want him fired tomorrow.
Luckily for me, I dont believe everything has conspiracy behind it.

For me its just football.....sometimes its shit, and you lose.

Ignore him. He's a worthless sack of shit who'll never ever be a spurs fan.

Unfortunately I think there are very few, if any, managers willing to just walk away from a handsome contract. They nearly all try and hold on or fight against the odd until the chairman pulls the trigger.

Poch's no different. He's only human, after all.
I think it's inevitable that if a manager feels let down by the chairman, some of the players, who have been so brilliantly nurtured and coached by him, will also feel a sense of despondency at the way they percieve their mentors situation.

Like I said, I don't know if he'll eventually walk or not. Neither do you or anyone else.

Ok.I think it was footballing criminal negligence for Poch to leave Toby out of the team / squad when he was clearly fit and willing to play...If it was Poch's decision alone, then shame on him.
If he was carrying out the wishes of his paymaster, then even more shame on him for not standing up for himself and telling Levy to Fuck right off.

And the same applies to dropping a fit Hugo Lloris for a crash test dummy like Vorm for the FA cup semi final.

Better?

Thats better. So lets go one step further. Surely you must believe the same for every single game Toby was fit between January and the end of the season then.

And that would make Poch responsible for the fact he isnt as match fit and sharp as he could be?
And perhaps why there is now zero chance of him signing an extension?

You are keen to talk about an isolated semi final....a game which ended our hopes of a trophy. You have blamed Poch for that game....yet you hold Levy responsible for our lack of success. How so in this specific case?

But lets talk about the bigger picture. Surely you must think that Pochs "criminal negligence" in the Toby saga has had some impact on our performances and morale this season? Or was it just all lack of signings, and Poch is suddenly off the hook?

Losing still hurts as much as it ever did. I deliberately missed the build up on Sky and turned the TV off as soon as the final whistle went and went into the garden to cut the grass (had we won it would have waited until today while I watched the feedback)
Having said all that too many of you are going over the top. Talking about dropping players when we have players injured and a busy schedule coming up and need 18 players each match day. Several players are not match fit after injury and others tired including Son who also needs a rest. The evidence when Kane and Eriksen are rested in Cup matches is that the performance is poorer. They are better off form than others like Llorente. Davies and Sanchez are not dropped and were subs yesterday and likely to play in one of the next 2 matches. Dier will have to play in the next 2 weeks as we will need him. This season was always going to be difficult after the World Cup,extra away games and moving into the new home and the delay has made it worse.
The squad will need to be managed over the next few weeks but there is reason to believe that we will get better once everyone is match fit and over the WC.
It is clear from Poch's comments that not buying anyone was NOT plan A. It is a surprise that players that we said we would listen to offers are still here but that is better than them leaving and being replaced by a poorer player as Walker/Aurier. We have no availability to buy an overseas player limiting our options.
We have played 2 of the top 6 teams already and are in all cup competitions. We will have more home games than away games later in the season which will help.
Stop being so gloomy we can still have a good season!

Great post.

Why wont anyone address the fact we have more points than this time last year after 5 games?
We have started better, with no signings.
Last summer we spent 75M and were a point worse off at this stage.

Why dont people address facts that they dont like. Its still a fact if you keep ignoring it. It doesnt go away because you pretend it didnt happen.

Spot on

Stop debating with the resident gooner. John has never been spurs and never, ever will be. He's a world class troll, with nothing in his life except this forum to keep him going. Ignored, his stain on this forum will quickly vanish.
Sammy, please don't put me on ignore.
Do not take this wortless, genital wart's advice.
If you put me on ignore, I'm finished

tenor.gif

Poch has been here for 4 years and many of our players much longer.

My fear is that should we not win anything again this season and/or little money is spent poch may well walk along with some of our more senior players.

I don't know yet if this season is the end of this chapter and the start of a new one but it has a bit of that feeling to it.

:sonhmm:

There are two schools of thought which will never see eye to eye:

1. The squad is fine, the manager is the second coming of Christ, all hail Daniel Levy he is the guiding light.

2. Everyone else

You forgot 3. The vast majority who are ambivalent about Levy, but recognise that without Poch we’d still be scuffing about between 6th and 9th.

Fair enough, but even the third group won't see eye to eye with the other two, a bit like the greens in the Russian Civil War
A strange analogy, but when has our supporter base ever seen eye to eye on anything? Personally I don’t mind you having a go at Levy (Stratford etc.) but taking the piss out of Poch is too far. For all the current problems his management isn’t one of them. He’s a class act and we’re lucky to have him. When he goes the only way is down.

Back
Top Bottom