Standing still is falling behind

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought we got a lot of praise for our performance at Old Trafford, rght across the media. And rightly so.

Btw, you do respect Souness, dont you? And you'll at least accept he's more qualified to give a verdict on our transfer window than you?
After the post-match 2 hours of JoseTV we did!!

Perhaps as fans sometimes we overrate our players. I mean it’s easy to look at our squad and go it’s as good as Chelsea’s or Liverpool’s but is it really?

Not with Kane and Eriksen playing the way they are currently. Arguably our two best players look shadows of themselves. When that happened to Chelsea they wound up 10th.

Long-term, it's gonna take investment. But right now we've got a squad full of dead tired players who didn't have an offseason nomadically wandering from stadium to stadium and putting whatever little they have left into Poch's lung busting system.

It is not a coincidence that the guy in the squad who has played by far the least football (when fit) over the past 18 months has emerged from nowhere to become our best attacker.

I don't think there's all that much to be done about it to be honest. We need investment in the squad, but the deck would have been stacked against us this year either way.

Well, I personally have waited 40 or so already.... and they say the first 39 are the hardest... so ONLY another 60 to go!
For those of a slightly older disposition, I'd say whatever we've been doing since 1962 onwards clearly hasn't been working, so that 57 year old wait for another league title goes on...
In the meantime, Blackburn, Leeds and Leicester will somehow convince themselves they can repeat the feat in their lifetimes... we all know THEY probably won't.... but SOMEONE has to!!
WHY NOT us?
We're clearly not gonna throw Oil loads of cash at it... so why NOT play the 'miracle' card???
"Why not us ? "
There is not the will/desire to invest in the first 11 to give our selfs half a chance.
Saying that the new micro brewery with craft 61 double IPA should be a game changer.

I thought we got a lot of praise for our performance at Old Trafford, rght across the media. And rightly so.

Btw, you do respect Souness, dont you? And you'll at least accept he's more qualified to give a verdict on our transfer window than you?

John your argument about qualification to talk about football is so, so poor.

Unless you are more qualified than Daniel Levy to run a football club, then surely by your own admission, you have just nullified every single opinion you have on the matter.

Stop using such crass arguments, you're better than that.

Its like saying any Spurs fan who thinks Sissoko shouldnt play for Spurs must think they know more than Poch. It has no legs, just stop it.

You're good at picking and choosing which of my posts to answer and which to ignore. I asked you several questions earlier, and you avoid it. Why?

Why cant you answer the question "do you think Pochettino is optimising his squad?"
You said yourself you would drop Kane. Why do you think that Poch is right not to drop him for Son or Moura though? Only a new signing counts?

Careful now, you dont want to sound like you know more than the manager eh.....?

Oh and fuck Souness, like I care what he thinks. We have more points this season than last after 5 games.
Another thing you seem eager to gloss over.

"Why not us ? "
There is not the will/desire to invest in the first 11 to give our selfs half a chance.
Saying that the new micro brewery with craft 61 double IPA should be a game changer.
No way is levy expecting or genuinely targeting the title this season. So poch is already handicapped before the season even starts. 4th would mean poch has over achieved again. He's working miracles & we are very lucky to have him.

"Why not us ? "
The chart that shows how Leicester's budget was dwarfed by rivals
Point is, they spent relatively little, and STILL won the title...
It's not about the desire of the board, they'd have been happy to retain PL status a season after narrowly avoiding relegation....
It was about the desire and belief of the TEAM, the MANAGER, and annoyingly enough, the FANS!

THEY got their miracle with a fraction of what we've spent.

We're certainly never gonna be able to compete financially with (Sheikh) MANsour €ITY, €H£L$£A etc... and nor should we...
so why don't we go about it the 'dilly-dong' way, and adopt a bit of a seige mentality, and underdog status outlook...

Or, as I suspect, some fans consider 'playing' the underdog as somehow being beneath us! 'Cos we're so big, an'all!

No way is levy expecting or genuinely targeting the title this season. So poch is already handicapped before the season even starts. 4th would mean poch has over achieved again. He's working miracles & we are very lucky to have him.
Poch has bailed out Levy/ENIC as others have said and it's an honour to have him .He's not perfect but we will not get anyone better .
Levy will never or has targeted a title challenge. In his book the investment in player's is not worth the risk.

The thing this argument always comes back to for me is; "Well Leicester did it"

And for these reasons: they didn't spend big, yet managed to win the league, now either they MASSIVELY over achieved, (most likely) in which case, if THEY can, WE can...
OR everyone in the league collectively decided to roll over against them, when it became clear WE were genuinely in with a shout of challenging them... in which case, we needn't bother showing up, as it'll happen year after year, WHOEVER our rivals are.

I'd like to think it was the first reason... which brings me back to the point, that you DON'T need the best team/squad, or shedloads of cash to win the league occasionally!
Disagree x 1
Natty Roots

Booooo Natty Roots Natty Roots !!!

The chart that shows how Leicester's budget was dwarfed by rivals
Point is, they spent relatively little, and STILL won the title...
It's not about the desire of the board, they'd have been happy to retain PL status a season after narrowly avoiding relegation....
It was about the desire and belief of the TEAM, the MANAGER, and annoyingly enough, the FANS!

THEY got their miracle with a fraction of what we've spent.

We're certainly never gonna be able to compete financially with (Sheikh) MANsour €ITY, €H£L$£A etc... and nor should we...
so why don't we go about it the 'dilly-dong' way, and adopt a bit of a seige mentality, and underdog status outlook...

Or, as I suspect, some fans consider 'playing' the underdog as somehow being beneath us! 'Cos we're so big, an'all!
We will always be underdogs under the present climate .
The squad investment looks ok but if you look at the net then it's unacceptable.

Pochettino is running our players into an early grave and rushing the likes of Kane back from injury.
He's happy to drop in form players (Sanchez, Davies, Son, etc) and rotate them, while its set in stone that no matter how poor Dele, Eriksen or Kane play, they will get a game and usually 90 minutes.

Its detrimental to the team, and bad management.
His tactics, at times, literally suck. He has very seldom dramatically changed a game with the right subs at the right time.
He has abandoned our strongest way. Pressing.

His strengths outweigh his weaknesses, and while he's one of the best managers in Europe, he also has some really poor sides.

Im literally sick of people skitting around and not answering any questions that means critique of the manager.
Working miracles? Now people acting like we have West Broms squad......all the while refusing to admit that Eriksen is not worth 100M. Which one is it?

Is our squad poor or is poor management a factor?

Take the Toby incident. He dropped him for half a season. People claimed Toby is world class and we're weaker without him yet wont say that it was handled badly.
They back Toby and say there was zero evidence he was a problem......yet cant say Poch handled it badly.
Now he's back in the team, and Sanchez has been dropped, and we've looked a mess. Nothing to do with Poch, its just because we didnt sign a central midfielder?

At least try and make sense.

We will always be underdogs under the present climate .
The squad investment looks ok but if you look at the net then it's unacceptable.

Oh Christ here we go.....do you know what you just said?
You just said:

We have invested well, but because we broke even by making a profit on the players sold, we didnt invest well

Do some of you even know what you are saying?
:defoe:

You want investment then belittle things that will draw money into the club at the new ground
Sammy where's you sense of adventure. When our new cathedral of football opens , please join me , at my expense of course at the "Arthur Rowe massage suit of pleasure " ( upper level zone 3 ) Swedish, Thai what makes you whistle?

You want investment then belittle things that will draw money into the club at the new ground
To beef up the boardroom bonus scheme? Levy got a juicy fat bonus this year off the back of our glorious profit margin.
As a fan, I'm bewildered that you wouldn't rather see the money reinvested in bolstering the football team.

To beef up the boardroom bonus scheme? Levy got a juicy fat bonus this year off the back of our glorious profit margin.
As a fan, I'm bewildered that you wouldn't rather see the money reinvested in bolstering the football team.

Id rather see the manager get the team playing as well as we all know they can first.
Too many pretending we arent good enough.......the last few seasons people have been saying "that one marquee signing to challenge for the title"

Now everyone pretending that they dont think our first 11 is good enough because we lost two games.

Again, 9pts.....this time last year we had 8pts and you were alll "chillllll Winstaaaaaan its only September....Dele will come good, Wembley is the fucking bollocks!!!!"

Now we're just shit

We are not shit Sammy . We are good but not great. Top 4 at best.

So when Poch took over, and took us from 5th, 2nd/3rd and regular CL football, when did our fans decide that progress was too slow?
People calling the Leicester achievement a miracle and a one off, then berating the club for not winning a title yet.

Is progress only measured in silverware? Because if thats the case then we are worse off than we were in 2008.

Three seasons ago, were you demanding titles by 2018?

Its not squad investment that we cant win a fucking Carabou or FA Cup, its shite tactics, attitude and team selection.

Last edited:
hopefully the ipa revenues convince levy to spend
Well the TV bumper windful has never got his mojo working so l better not count my chickens.
I'm sure he will put it to better use, will deservedly get a hard earned mega pay rise and reward the players in luncheon vouchers. Everybody's happy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom