Standing still is falling behind

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Last edited:
I think Levy will look to sell up once the stadium is finished. Our state-of-the-art facilities are not a great deal of use to us when we have performed so abjectly at refreshing the squad in recent years.

Perhaps as fans sometimes we overrate our players. I mean it’s easy to look at our squad and go it’s as good as Chelsea’s or Liverpool’s but is it really?

Personally I think City, Liverpool, Chelsea and United have better all round squads (admittedly United playing well below potential) and ours is around Woolwich’s probably a bit better with a lot of good forward players but a limited midfield.

Yes Poch maybe needs a tactical rethink on a few things but I am skeptical even if he get it perfect 100% of the time this is a league winning squad.

In reference to the thread yes staying still is falling behind. We really need the new stadium to show it’s worth and invest in our squad either in Jan or next summer.

No, there are more clubs. But it depends what's your definition of 'progress'. Sevilla or Napoli had some sort of success without having to spend millions on players.

Napoli were also declared bankrupt around the time we were progressing from 14th place finishes to EL qualification with zero debts.
Yes they've won a couple domestic cups 5 or 6 years ago, and seem to be well run now and debt free

They have no outstanding debt.
That last note is perhaps the most significant, considering the deep financial hole the club was in for so long. Even in more recent times, Napoli were in a spot of bother with the city over unpaid rent and taxes, though those problems were resolved in recent months.

And just like that, in the Mafia-est part of mainland Italy, it all goes away
:kanehand:

Seville have a 40M Euro debt, havent won La Liga since 1946 but of course have been excellent recently in the EL

Thing is for me we have the 5-6 best squad in the league getting top 4 year after year. Poch has massively overachieved given the resources he has been given. People shouldn’t think we get rid or lose him we will be going anywhere but down unless we put in massive resources which ain’t likely.

ENIC is not some guaranteed upward trajectory, I mean we had Ramos getting us in the relegation zone. We have had a few good managers at the right time like Jol, Redknapp and obviously Poch who is better than the prior two by far. We are only a shit manager away from going back to mid table given how we invest.

Yes Poch got some things wrong but his work on individual players, the team has been remarkable and he bailed ENIC after the AVB Sherwood shitshow.

Not Eriksen or Dele though surely.......I was told that saying that means you dont understand football

Dele is a good player but with flaws in his game, Eriksen is brilliant when in the mood but sometime seems to drop his head.

For me neither are undroppable. I think Moura and Lamela should be above them right now on form.

Not Eriksen or Dele though surely.......I was told that saying that means you dont understand football

Right now I would try the below. Give Dele, Dembele and Kane a rest and move Eriksen to the middle with a high press of a quick front 3

[formation=433, Lloris, Trippier, Toby, Verts, Davies, Winks, Wanyama, Eriksen, Moura, Son, Lamela][/formation]

Right now I would try the below. Give Dele, Dembele and Kane a rest and move Eriksen to the middle with a high press of a quick front 3

[formation=433, Lloris, Trippier, Toby, Verts, Davies, Winks, Wanyama, Eriksen, Moura, Son, Lamela][/formation]

I think Poch should select a formation and select players to compliment it and stick with it

Myself I’d go with Hugo ( a position we should certainly obtain decent back up which we haven’t got at the moment)

A back three of Sanchez Toby and Verts
Dier in a holding role just in front and one end of a diamond
(Nowhere else is he more effective)

Wing backs of Trippier and Rose

Midfield three of Lamela Eriksen Lucas

Harry as a lone striker where he’s best

Impact subs of Son Winks Dembele Sissoko Wanyama Davies Llorente

I think Harry should start against Inter but have the next weekend off

Thing is for me we have the 5-6 best squad in the league getting top 4 year after year. Poch has massively overachieved given the resources he has been given. People shouldn’t think we get rid or lose him we will be going anywhere but down unless we put in massive resources which ain’t likely.

ENIC is not some guaranteed upward trajectory, I mean we had Ramos getting us in the relegation zone. We have had a few good managers at the right time like Jol, Redknapp and obviously Poch who is better than the prior two by far. We are only a shit manager away from going back to mid table given how we invest.

Yes Poch got some things wrong but his work on individual players, the team has been remarkable and he bailed ENIC after the AVB Sherwood shitshow.

msy.gif

The thing this argument always comes back to for me is; "Well Leicester did it"

And for these reasons: they didn't spend big, yet managed to win the league, now either they MASSIVELY over achieved, (most likely) in which case, if THEY can, WE can...
OR everyone in the league collectively decided to roll over against them, when it became clear WE were genuinely in with a shout of challenging them... in which case, we needn't bother showing up, as it'll happen year after year, WHOEVER our rivals are.

I'd like to think it was the first reason... which brings me back to the point, that you DON'T need the best team/squad, or shedloads of cash to win the league occasionally!

I'd like to think it was the first reason... which brings me back to the point, that you DON'T need the best team/squad, or shedloads of cash to win the league occasionally!
Well if your prepared to wait for another miracle, which will come along once every century , then you have unlimited great patience .
Really you need some investment, there is no other way, unfournatly the more you spend the more you will win over time . The Chavs/Oil City have dominated silverware over the last decade .
I don't expect us to spend anywhere near that level but never is criminal and so little investment in the first 11 over many years always leaves us fragile . If our model was so successful lm surprised it's so derided by the media and hasn't become a blueprint for others.
A great run pragmatic business doesn't mean a successful trophy winning team.

Well if your prepared to wait for another miracle, which will come along once every century , then you have unlimited great patience .
Really you need some investment, there is no other way, unfournatly the more you spend the more you will win over time . The Chavs/Oil City have dominated silverware over the last decade .
I don't expect us to spend anywhere near that level but never is criminal and so little investment in the first 11 over many years always leaves us fragile . If our model was so successful lm surprised it's so derided by the media and hasn't become a blueprint for others.
A great run pragmatic business doesn't mean a successful trophy winning team.
Well, I personally have waited 40 or so already.... and they say the first 39 are the hardest... so ONLY another 60 to go!
For those of a slightly older disposition, I'd say whatever we've been doing since 1962 onwards clearly hasn't been working, so that 57 year old wait for another league title goes on...
In the meantime, Blackburn, Leeds and Leicester will somehow convince themselves they can repeat the feat in their lifetimes... we all know THEY probably won't.... but SOMEONE has to!!
WHY NOT us?
We're clearly not gonna throw Oil loads of cash at it... so why NOT play the 'miracle' card???

Seemed the appropriate place to post this!

SkySports pundit accuses Spurs of 'standing still' - SpursWeb - Tottenham Hotspur News

Souness is one of the few pundits who seems to command overall respect on here, with both Levy brown nosers and horsenoshers alike, so well worth a read.

He seems to saying exactly what I've been saying. Almost word for word!!!

Isnt it amazing that when we beat Utd 3-0 away, not one single Sky pundit wanted to talk about Spurs. Only Jose.

Lose to Liverpool, everyone has an opinion on Spurs failings.

Isnt it amazing that when we beat Utd 3-0 away, not one single Sky pundit wanted to talk about Spurs. Only Jose.

That's because everyone is just waiting for Spurs to let them down.

Until we do something to debunk that - people will always talk about Spurs failing.

Beat Man Utd. Can Spurs REALLY do something this year after winning away from home at a top club convincingly!?

Lose their next two league games.

I thought we got a lot of praise for our performance at Old Trafford, rght across the media. And rightly so.

Btw, you do respect Souness, dont you? And you'll at least accept he's more qualified to give a verdict on our transfer window than you?

Back
Top Bottom