Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The only financial obligation Spurs currently have as it relates to paying for the stadium is the £400m loan from the middle of last year. That is (roughly) about £7.5m per month until June of 2022, or £90m a year. New matchday revenue and stadium sponsorship should come close to covering that entire amount, especially if the club were to remain in the CL and advance our of the group stage.

In other words, the stadium should more or less pay for itself and should not interfere with wages or transfer business to a significant degree.

Considering we're breaking previous wage and trf fee records, I'd suggest it hasn't thus far.

Quick question, would you rather see Spurs do what they are doing in building a new stadium, acquiring under the radar talent and ensuring that if we don't make top 4 one year it won't do any financial damage to the club whereby investment slowly but surely makes us a better team or would you rather see us fork out world record transfer fees for certain areas of the field like Liverpool have done with the signing of Allison and Van Dijk knowing that if it doesn't work out, our club could be looking at financial ruin?

Risk not having a Tottenham for a few billy big bollocks signings? Absolutely no chance!
We are the 11th richest club in the world mate. You make it sound like we're on the brink of liquidation. Why is it so unreasonable for our fans to expect us to be competing for top players in the transfer market?
We seem quite happy to act like a big club with our ticket pricing policy. Maybe we should start acting like a big club with our transfer policy too.

Yes, sell to buy I meant. Ok, but what's the point of spending a lot of money building an amazing new house if you don't have enough money left to furnish it and enjoy life by having holidays etc? I think the new stadium's amazing but the novelty will wear off soon, especially if it becomes apparent we're only going to be competing to retain the Cockney Championship again but we're not gonna to be competing with the Northerners for the league.

The point of building the new stadium is for the next 50 years not the next 1-2 years. It's absolutely the right thing to do. It will increase revenue year on year and as we slowly pay it off using this increased revenue we'll eventually be left with a fantastic stadium which is a constant revenue stream in terms of naming rights, alternative venue hosting not to mention increased gate receipts.

What would really be silly would be to gamble for short term glory by spunking all our money on players, agents and salaries.

Compared to the fiscally sound model of building a new stadium for the future, blowing all the cash on new players in the hope of continued success is the equivalent of bunging it all on red at the roulette table.

Just ask Blackburn, Leeds, Portsmouth, Wimbledon, Rangers and many others how that business model worked for them.

hy is it so unreasonable for our fans to expect us to be competing for top players in the transfer market?

Answer this question and I’ll never bother you again.

How much money has the club got to spend John..?
No ball park, no assumptions, no guessing.

Factor in our prognosis and costs for the foreseeable future and what we can spend to keep the club in its current financial health....by the way the fact that you think none of that matters is irrelevant.

How much is in the transfer kitty?
To the last penny.

Then you can have an opinion on what we can or can’t spend.

Simple fact is you are demanding we spend money you know nothing about....your whining has as much meaning as me telling you to go and buy a new car, despite knowing zero about you or your finances.

You're a fan John...no more than that. Just a fan...you know nothing about anything within the club.

Last edited:
City are just buying up players so no one else can challenge them.

Like the rich kid that if he can't get his way no one will.

Some of these fuckers will find themselves loaned to NYFC in no time....

Won't be feeling quite so elite then will they?

One of the chief horsenoshers was begging for Sissoko last season.
Ah yes. I think that was me

tenor.gif

Out of interest, who are your other 4 horsenoshers?

I'm guessing scott scott , The Dane The Dane , Fidel Castro Fidel Castro and Airfixx Airfixx

Let me know how many I scored next week, eh'

The point of building the new stadium is for the next 50 years not the next 1-2 years. It's absolutely the right thing to do. It will increase revenue year on year and as we slowly pay it off using this increased revenue we'll eventually be left with a fantastic stadium which is a constant revenue stream in terms of naming rights, alternative venue hosting not to mention increased gate receipts.

What would really be silly would be to gamble for short term glory by spunking all our money on players, agents and salaries.

Compared to the fiscally sound model of building a new stadium for the future, blowing all the cash on new players in the hope of continued success is the equivalent of bunging it all on red at the roulette table.

Just ask Blackburn, Leeds, Portsmouth, Wimbledon, Rangers and many others how that business model worked for them.
What would be a fair & balanced net spend this summer? Is 50m too much? Sounds fair to me.

Back
Top Bottom