Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It is a tad ridiculous that we haven't signed anybody yet nor really sold anyone either.

What's going on? Do we need to sell before we can buy? Are we waiting to see what's left after the bigger sharks have had their share? Have we already got deals in place but just waiting to announce them?

It's all quite strange especially when you consider the window is closing earlier this summer.

It is a tad ridiculous that we haven't signed anybody yet nor really sold anyone either.

What's going on? Do we need to sell before we can buy? Are we waiting to see what's left after the bigger sharks have had their share? Have we already got deals in place but just waiting to announce them?

It's all quite strange especially when you consider the window is closing earlier this summer.

It's not complicated really. They've spunked all the money on the stadium and have to buy to sell. Personally I'd have preferred a cheaper stadium and more money available for players.

Your words, mate: SIGN A FUCKING PLAYER FOR FUCK SAKE!!!!

And, of course, you know better than the Club.

I'll put a word in for you.
Get a grip. Where do I say we should sign just anyone. It was a self proclaimed ranty post to blow off some frustration.

Where do I claim to know more than the club.

I spend 99% of my time on here defending Levy or Poch and banging on about how “we’re in a tricky possition with the stadium finances” and “it’s not easy to find players to improve us on our budget and wage structure” etc etc.

But if we have reached a point where even I’m starting to get a little bit pissed off with our lack of movement then something isn’t quite right.

I’m well aware that our situation isn’t easy but I’m also pretty sure it’s not quite as hard as Levy makes it seem. I’m also aware that for the most part it all works out in the end and we tend to get it right on balance. Doesn’t make it any less frustrating in the moment tho.

But of course u know better than everyone else sooooo....

It's not complicated really. They've spunked all the money on the stadium and have to buy to sell. Personally I'd have preferred a cheaper stadium and more money available for players.

You mean sell to buy?

Also, I wouldn't say they have 'spunked' all the money on the new stadium. First of all the new stadium is beautiful, necessary and meant to last us for several generations. Certainly not money wasted.

Secondly, I'm sure our income stream should allow us to make some signings whilst paying for the new stadium.

Anyway, I guess there's no need to panic. Yet.

You mean sell to buy?

Also, I wouldn't say they have 'spunked' all the money on the new stadium. First of all the new stadium is beautiful, necessary and meant to last us for several generations. Certainly not money wasted.

Secondly, I'm sure our income stream should allow us to make some signings whilst paying for the new stadium.

Anyway, I guess there's no need to panic. Yet.

Yes, sell to buy I meant. Ok, but what's the point of spending a lot of money building an amazing new house if you don't have enough money left to furnish it and enjoy life by having holidays etc? I think the new stadium's amazing but the novelty will wear off soon, especially if it becomes apparent we're only going to be competing to retain the Cockney Championship again but we're not gonna to be competing with the Northerners for the league.

The only financial obligation Spurs currently have as it relates to paying for the stadium is the £400m loan from the middle of last year. That is (roughly) about £7.5m per month until June of 2022, or £90m a year. New matchday revenue and stadium sponsorship should come close to covering that entire amount, especially if the club were to remain in the CL and advance our of the group stage.

In other words, the stadium should more or less pay for itself and should not interfere with wages or transfer business to a significant degree.

Back
Top Bottom