Tottenham v West Ham

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

May I ask:
Is it the actual criticism of the players you dislike? Or is it the amount of criticism/way it is done that worries you most? Friendly question as am intrigued.

- The manner of the criticism and the lengths peeps are prepared to go to validate it.
- The degree of the criticism (and the apparent glee taken in doing so).
- The fickle nature of much of it.
- The baffling agendas often lurking beneath.
- The scapegoating that seemingly gets used as a vehicle to get over petulant dissapointment of certain outcomes (results, transfers and so on).
- The name-calling of out of favour players.

- The manner of the criticism and the lengths peeps are prepared to go to validate it.
- The degree of the criticism (and the apparent glee taken in doing so).
- The fickle nature of much of it.
- The baffling agendas often lurking beneath.
- The scapegoating that seemingly gets used as a vehicle to get over petulant dissapointment of certain outcomes (results, transfers and so on).
- The name-calling of out of favour players.
Good answer and thanks for clarifying....always interesting to hear your thoughts. Cheers.

I know it's but a speck in the distance now and there's quite a clear gulf now, but to play devils advocate -

97/98 - West Ham 8th Spurs 14th
98/99 - West Ham 5th Spurs 11th
99/00 - West Ham 9th Spurs 10th

:D

On to the match, similar to the poster above, I like having a browse of the oppositions forums leading up to games and after, just to get a idea of what's actually going on outside of the Sky Sports agenda bubble. We were very negative last night, but I don't really understand what people expected. At the moment we have an unbalanced squad and a 90 year old playing RB. To echo Moyes, hopefully in the future we can come back and actually have an entertaining game against you lot, but at the moment I guess we have to just settle with that to stay on the gravy train.

Aside from all the "is it a rivalry/isn't it a rivalry" rubbish, it's normally a good unpredictable game, and that's why I was so disappointed last night. But a points a point and beggars can't be choosers. I'm sure you'll get top 4, Mourinho looks like he's on a one man mission to suck the life out of Man United. I just hope Kane et al go into the world cup on a positive note rather than a negative.

One thing though, Sissoko? What's that all about?
You forgot 1966 WC winners

Fair enough but the cost of the new stadium should be taken into account in any transfer dealings

Likes of us will probably never find out the true cost

The stadium is a thing of beauty But that alone would make no economic sense. It’s what is happening in the wider area that is of real value to Levy & Co.

Ultimately , Spurs are paying for that profit that one day will be realised. We are a tool that enables ENIC to profit. ENIC do just about enough for us to compete but are not enabling us to win.

I’d much rather a full 36,000 at a falling down WHL & some dreams that have a prospect of glory, than being proud of a balance sheet of assets all of which make Levy and Lewis even richer off the back of our loyalty....

I am not maybe making my point very clear, but I am rather sick of being the priests at the orgy, or so it feels, I am not ungracious to Levy and co. They have restored us to a level after Sugar’s awful ownership but where we are is still not where we were. That frustrates me.

The stadium is a thing of beauty But that alone would make no economic sense. It’s what is happening in the wider area that is of real value to Levy & Co.

Ultimately , Spurs are paying for that profit.

I’d much rather a full 36,000 at WHL falling apart And some dreams that have a prospect of glory than being proud of a balance sheet of assets all of which make Levy and Lewis even richer off the back of our loyalty....

I am not maybe making my point very clear, but I am rather sick of being the priests at the orgy, or so it feels, I am not ungracious to Levy and co. They have restored us to a level, but it’s not the level we were. Even now.

I think you'll find in some quarters being a priest at an orgy doesn't necessarily preclude you from getting your boots wet :pochserious2:

Ultimately , Spurs are paying for that profit that one day will be realised. We are a tool that enables ENIC to profit. ENIC do just about enough for us to compete but are not enabling us to win.

I’d much rather a full 36,000 at a falling down WHL & some dreams that have a prospect of glory, than being proud of a balance sheet of assets all of which make Levy and Lewis even richer off the back of our loyalty....

I am not maybe making my point very clear, but I am rather sick of being the priests at the orgy, or so it feels, I am not ungracious to Levy and co. They have restored us to a level after Sugar’s awful ownership but where we are is still not where we were. That frustrates me.
Unless we end up as one of the toy clubs, an idea I personally find abhorrent, we will never really achieve that. However, putting those two cunt clubs to one side, I don't think it's unfair to say that we are on the same level, or higher than, the pre scholar days, compared to others.

Even though it was a period of dominance by the dippers ( they never mention it, so I thought I better), they were never financially untouchable

Just watched the highlights of the game (first I’ve seen of it).

Cannot believe we didn’t win! We utterly dominated in every way. The football gods sent us a massive “fuck you” with this game. That Spam goal was basically a miracle, up there with Matic’s goal against us in the FA cup semi last year. Just ridiculous, the sort of ludicrous strike that happens about once every 5 years yet somehow has happened against us twice in a year! Son’s goal was a fucking beauty in return though, and l loved his celebration. I bloody love that guy, love watching him play for us.

Also can’t believe we didn’t get a penalty when 5 Spam defenders had their arms around Kane. Absolutely ridiculous. Another player would have dropped to the floor and been rewarded for it. He basically got punished for being strong and honest.

Unless we end up as one of the toy clubs, an idea I personally find abhorrent, we will never really achieve that. However, putting those two cunt clubs to one side, I don't think it's unfair to say that we are on the same level, or higher than, the pre scholar days, compared to others.

Even though it was a period of dominance by the dippers ( they never mention it, so I thought I better), they were never financially untouchable
It’s definitely subjective. I am probably ungracious to many opinions with my views. I understand that. I’d accept league placing has been consistent ( 2 and 3rd is very good ) but the trophy count over 15 years is poor compared to 50’s / 60’s / 70’s and 80’s. Even in the 90’s we won 2 Trophies. We have won 1 in almost 19 years now and 1 this century.

It’s definitely subjective. I am probably ungracious to many opinions with my views. I understand that. I’d accept league placing has been consistent ( 2 and 3rd is very good ) but the trophy count over 15 years is poor compared to 50’s / 60’s / 70’s and 80’s. Even in the 90’s we won 2 Trophies. We have won 1 in almost 19 years now and 1 this century.
in an era in which 2 clubs have a bottomless pit of money.

anyway, i was on a train and couldn't finish what i was saying on my previous post:

ENIC have taken us to a level where we are doing more than just competing:
we've had a couple of losing cup finals in the last few years. Not ideal, I agree, but i would rather be losing cup finals than not being in them. (One criticism i have of pochettino..i believe a side needs to win its first trophy to get a proper taste of it, even if its the cheap copy of redbull cup, and i think he should go for that one properly).
we have had two decent tilts of the title, 3 goes in the champions league. they inherited a mess, and have made plenty of errors, but i dont believe for one second they are happy with us just being there.

Contributed more in attack was the point.....do you think that Vertonghen has contributed more in attack with 0 goals and 0 assists than Sissoko who has 2 assists and 2 goals?

Or Dembele with 0 goals and 0 assists.
Or Dier with 1 goal and one assist.

How do you work that one out? Because Dembele passed it to Eriksen who passed it to Dele who then assisted Kane it makes Dembele an attcking player? Give me a break....Shall we look at all Sissokos third and fourth hand assists too....
So dembele doesn't contribute to the attack because he doesn't score or assist. This has been the case not just this season but the last few, he contributes to the attack by beating men in the middle of the park to free up space and get the opposition on the back foot or by driving us 20 yards up the pitch before passing to one of the front 4. This is such a ridiculous point, you can contribute to the attack without literally being the one who assists or scores the goal. How many goals and assists do you reckon modric and iniesta rack up during a season, answer is not very much but they are both most definitely contributing in attack.

So dembele doesn't contribute to the attack because he doesn't score or assist. This has been the case not just this season but the last few, he contributes to the attack by beating men in the middle of the park to free up space and get the opposition on the back foot or by driving us 20 yards up the pitch before passing to one of the front 4. This is such a ridiculous point, you can contribute to the attack without literally being the one who assists or scores the goal. How many goals and assists do you reckon modric and iniesta rack up during a season, answer is not very much but they are both most definitely contributing in attack.

I didnt say he doesnt contribute to the attack, Ive said Sissoko has contributed more to the attack this season.
If its so ridiculous, maybe you can go on and explain now has Jan has contributed more to the attack this season, or Dier?

Dembele frees up space? No he doesnt, he controls the middle and holds the ball, usually laying it off short after a promising run, but very, very rarely playing the through ball or having a shot. He drives forward 20 yards and then gives it to one of the front four. Yes, and then they take over the attack which was my point.

Sissoko has had far more shots, and runs into the box than Dembele this season.

Football is an attacking game, so then I suppose Lloris contributes more to the attack than Sissoko too every time he goes long, by your logic. Because he booted it up to Son.

:defoe:

Back
Top Bottom