Tottenham v West Ham

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Davies doesn't get his due because he isn't a fashionable player that produces the spectacular and the media don't put his name up in lights , the fanboys just struggle to relate to him. Took years for a lot of people to realise how great a player Dennis Irwin was for similar reasons.

This match showed how far the Spammers have deteriorated. The last 3 away matches against the Spammers were competitive. Even last season's home match from memory was competitive. I expect these matches to be feisty with tackles flying in and whilst not up to the level of the battle of the bridge, always an edge to the game. It was nothing like that but possibly the most one sided derby match between the sides although the score line does not reflect this. Rarely apart from when they scored did I hear their fans on TV but those there may say differently.
I cannot fault Poch playing Sissoko and Dier although he should have subbed them 15 mins earlier.
Mike Dean will never give us a penalty or major decision in our favour unless he is 100% sure ever again after the rumeurs earlier in the season about favouring us.
The tiredness affected some players which did not help. Some players were too content to make the safe pass when there are times when you need to take more chances later in the game. Why do we waste free kick chances by just putting the ball back into play when we could push our tall defenders up for a floated ball to the edge of the box.

Davies doesn't get his due because he isn't a fashionable player that produces the spectacular and the media don't put his name up in lights , the fanboys just struggle to relate to him. Took years for a lot of people to realise how great a player Dennis Irwin was for similar reasons.

I honestly think people have erased Trippier’s performances at LB this season. That was so bad to watch.

I like Davies. He’s solid, has good positional sense and IMO is getting better. I think his aggression when tackling has improved under Poch visibly as well.

We should be happy to have him, he’s still relatively young after all.

Just on the attendance...i can't see how 50,000 is perceived as a low crowd. Apart from 2,900 vermin that's 47,000 odd Tottenham fans on a miserable cold and wet Thursday night during a holiday period with lots of games and against an uninspiring opponent. Overall i think it's quite an impressive turnout particlularly as we aren't at 'home'.

Just on the attendance...i can't see how 50,000 is perceived as a low crowd. Apart from 2,900 vermin that's 47,000 odd Tottenham fans on a miserable cold and wet Thursday night during a holiday period with lots of games and against an uninspiring opponent. Overall i think it's quite an impressive turnout particlularly as we aren't at 'home'.
No doubt about it, the chavs will get nowhere near that amount when Wembley becomes their home ground.
Hell they'd be luck to get that at Stamford Bridge

Last edited:

This match also was not available to general public to stop Spammers getting in Home end. Also reputation of Spammers fans would put off many taking their young kids or even wifes to this match.

20-00 kick off is what kills it for most. It's always a race to get to various stations to get last train home.
On top of that, who apart from us mad ones would want to pay good money to watch the shit that teams like West Ham serve up?
11 men behind the ball and a hoof up field as far as they can kick it. It's not my idea of entertainment but they have obviously gotten used to it as they were proud of their hero's on thursday night. If we ever played like that i'd demand my money back. Still it shows where we both are as clubs.

Well out of a capacity of 85k it’s low. For us in the upgraded Lane it will be low for a league game as well. I think we will sell out each home game.

But in reality we would only get 85k on a Thursday night if tickets are cheaper. As we did last year in the EL.

Good turnout still all things considered but ticket prices were ridiculous compared to if you chose to go to the game tomorrow instead.

This match also was not available to general public to stop Spammers getting in Home end. Also reputation of Spammers fans would put off many taking their young kids or even wifes to this match.
Not sure about that Malc as in their reputation? None of this ever cropped up at White Hart Lane when we play them. Agree they are a horrible bunch but from what i gather they came unstuck on Thursday with their pathetic abuse.

20-00 kick off is what kills it for most. It's always a race to get to various stations to get last train home.
On top of that, who apart from us mad ones would want to pay good money to watch the shit that teams like West Ham serve up?
11 men behind the ball and a hoof up field as far as they can kick it. It's not my idea of entertainment but they have obviously gotten used to it as they were proud of their hero's on thursday night. If we ever played like that i'd demand my money back. Still it shows where we both are as clubs.
Indeed Billy - i had to stay in town as i would never have got back home in time and up at 5 the next day. As for the Garnetts i loathe them like you. Pop over to KUMB and see just how misguided they are, they actually believe that they are on a par with us both historically and currently. You couldn't make it up.

Not sure about that Malc as in their reputation? None of this ever cropped up at White Hart Lane when we play them. Agree they are a horrible bunch but from what i gather they came unstuck on Thursday with their pathetic abuse.
Capacity was only 36000 at WHL and they were more hardcore supporters. When I went recently to Wembley there was lots of women & Children and if many of these are people that only go to a few matches a year then they may give this match a miss. I would not want to have to take a young child to Wembley against the Spammers when both sets of supporters go down Wembley way and on Met trains. Just my opinion.

Capacity was only 36000 at WHL and they were more hardcore supporters. When I went recently to Wembley there was lots of women & Children and if many of these are people that only go to a few matches a year then they may give this match a miss. I would not want to have to take a young child to Wembley against the Spammers when both sets of supporters go down Wembley way and on Met trains. Just my opinion.
Fair play.

Belt and braces?

Sorry mate I don’t understand
Play Davies (who had a poor game) in front of Rose. Two Left FBs, (Rose covering Davies).
Belt and Braces - to hold one's trousers up. Going 'belt and braces' is a double insurance against having them fall down.

If I have to explain it isn't funny?

The point I was trying to make is if they hadn't messed around with the kick off day and time so late in the day , we would have had a better turn out.

Davies our worst player? Are you mad? He is probably our most consistent full back now that Walker is gone - Rose still has to prove himself back from his long time out, Aurier has shown very good moments but also very bad moments, Trippier is not good enough defensively but can put in a good offensive performance when given the space to play.

Davies on the other hand is always one of our best defensive players, very rarely gets beaten for pace which is a miracle for a bloke who isn't exactly lightning. Puts in last ditch tackles and covers CBs excellently. Going forward he is aware of his limitations and doesn't push himself to try and take people on down the outside so plays to his strengths and does inside overlaps where he influences the game and lets Son take an outside position to get one on ones. His crossing against WHam wasn't one of his best nights but he is actually very technically sound and can hit a good delivery - not to mention he gets into the box more and has more shots on goal than any of our other full backs.

No I’m not mad (I think)

Who was worse than Davies then?

His crossing was poor all night and I can’t remember him once taking on anyone and going past them

He’s a good honest workmanlike player but not in the same class as Danny Rose

That’s all I’m saying

I concede that I went OTT when I called him shite however

Play Davies (who had a poor game) in front of Rose. Two Left FBs, (Rose covering Davies).
Belt and Braces - to hold one's trousers up. Going 'belt and braces' is a double insurance against having them fall down.

If I have to explain it isn't funny?

I see what you mean but I don’t think you can play Rose and Davies together

I agree Davies had a poor game though

My tube train was stuck for an hour on the tracks. Quite a few people on my tube didn't go due to the delay. A lot of pissed off people I tell you. I managed to get to the ground for the second half.

Are you saying they are comparable? Or will be?

Back
Top Bottom