The Mighty Tottenham Hotspur V BVB

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the atmosphere has been good at Wembley, not intense but it has been far better than I was expecting, Chelsea was very good, singing for long periods of the game and a good variety of songs, Burnley was probably on par with Burnley at WHL, it's Burnley. But last night was utter shite, it was utter shite when we played them at the Lane a couple of years ago too. It seems if the opt bring in a drum we don't bother, embarrassing.

I am not a big fan of Wembley to be honest but expected it to be worse than it actually is..You are right last night was not great but for me the football was so good it was hard to take your concentration off the game.

For most clubs a trip to Wembley is a treat but from now on for us that treat has gone. If we get to an FA cup final or semi final it wont be anywhere near as good as it used to be.

The only reason I don't moan about the atmosphere or any negative involving Wembley is because I know it's very short term and what's on the horizon will be so amazing I can put up with it.

The home end at Wembley, the singing section, is full of mums dads and kids.
There's a pocket at the back, under the club Wembley tier, that do sing continuously but it never picks up.
Hope the home end single tier isn't the same as the Wembley designated home end.
I fear it could end up like that.

Wembley is never going to be like home. It's not.
At WHL it was only on special occasions you got the whole place in on it. Yet there were always about 6-10 k noisy in park lane and shelf

In finals etc you only get 20odd thousand tickets, but it's more vocal because at least 10000 will be noisy all game and together.

I am not a big fan of Wembley to be honest but expected it to be worse than it actually is..You are right last night was not great but for me the football was so good it was hard to take your concentration off the game.

For most clubs a trip to Wembley is a treat but from now on for us that treat has gone. If we get to an FA cup final or semi final it wont be anywhere near as good as it used to be.

The only reason I don't moan about the atmosphere or any negative involving Wembley is because I know it's very short term and what's on the horizon will be so amazing I can put up with it.
Yep, agree with that Billy. I actually get pissed off seeing fans just endlessly complain about Wembley, what's the point?

Yep, agree with that Billy. I actually get pissed off seeing fans just endlessly complain about Wembley, what's the point?
Maybe they are just disappointed about not having a fortnightly trip to that world class iconic venue in Milton keynes.....
I am not the biggest fan of Wembley to be honest,but its a means to an end.I can live with that

Mate, just think where we'll be next year.. There's one club, name escapes me at the minute, who have borrowed a ground that is 1000 times worse than Wembley, but they are stuck with it FOREVER..Now that's something to be concerned about ( for them anyway)

The name will come to me soon..:dembelelol:

I don't think we were even that defensive or negative. We were up against a great team in a competition and at a stadium that are both still new to us and we have struggled with, so it was always going to be tough and balanced on a knife's edge. And we had to fight hard and find a way to win, and we did it whilst still creating plenty of goal scoring chances.
The first half we were camped deep in our half and they push on forward relentlessly they were a very good team. Second-half we seem to push onto them a little bit more (although still in our half) and gave them less freedom which demonstrates we can change our game and adapt as the game goes on. Second-half I thought we were the better team regardless of possession, we had them where we wanted them. I felt them playing with just two at the back because everyone pushed forward showed a lack of respect for us, it's not our problem they got caught.

The home end at Wembley, the singing section, is full of mums dads and kids.
There's a pocket at the back, under the club Wembley tier, that do sing continuously but it never picks up.
Hope the home end single tier isn't the same as the Wembley designated home end.
I fear it could end up like that.

Wembley is never going to be like home. It's not.
At WHL it was only on special occasions you got the whole place in on it. Yet there were always about 6-10 k noisy in park lane and shelf

In finals etc you only get 20odd thousand tickets, but it's more vocal because at least 10000 will be noisy all game and together.
Where I was standing the atmosphere was great - lots of singing. Even a rendition of the Park Lane Shelf Side chants! Last year I was up the other end and thought the atmosphere was crap. The size and dynamics of Wembley mean where you are has a big influence on your experience.

Couldn't agree more...

Been to all the "home" games this season and finally managed to get a seat in the "Park Lane/Shelf Side" bowl in the South West Corner (block 127) and as a section, we were singing a variety of songs through the whole game; particularly the "Being a Yid song".

Everyone further along the west stand should be ashamed of themselves, didn't utter a syllable, didn't seem to know the words of the songs and essentially stood in silence watching us beat the best in Europe.

As a result, the songs didn't travel around the stadium and everyone lost a bit of impetus. If you want to enjoy a good atmosphere, bring it yourselves!

Very concerned about the attendance being so low...what does that mean for us later down the season when it's not a European glamour tie?

No complaints about the performance, but the best atmosphere was at the gates on the way in - "Fuck Wembley, I wanna go home" was the song...funny, but worrying sentiment. We've got it for a year, it is what is. Let's embrace it.

I completely agree with this. My ST is in block 127 which seems to be a standing and singing block. It wasn't 90 minutes of singing last night but there was SOME atmosphere and a number of different songs being sung.

In comparison, a couple of mates are the next block along in 126 and people very rarely stand or sing. On the occasions they have stood they've been shouted at to sit down. The same happened last night until the moved to the left to be a bit closer to block 127 then stood throughout.

Another mate was further down near the half way line and was surrounded by empty seats.

What a performance last night! I was absolutely shattered after the game, I think I kicked every ball.

Hat's off to Dortmund, thought they were very good, reminded me of us last season, lots of the ball without really causing to many problems. Defensively this was the best I think we have ever played (slightly unfair because most games teams don't get to have the ball against us, so don't create much against, could therefore be argued because of this defensively we've played better if you get my drift) as an organised block. In the first half we let them have the ball, didn't press them but were aggressive and engaged them and pressed them on the edge of our box. Every single one of our defenders were excellent, for me Vertonghen was MOTM = Rolls Royce! Toby's ability to win the ball one on one is arguably the best you will see from any defender in the World right now, he doesn't just hold a player up and show them away from goal he wins the fucking ball!! Aurier, what a super performance for a debut, he needs to work on his positioning a bit more but given he's under Poch's wing now and will have more training sessions I not worried at all. Davies struggled a tad in the first half, Dortmund targeted the space between him and Vertonghen and this was the only real joy they were getting, 2nd half he was magnificent AGAIN! Despite us letting Dortmund have the ball, we still played a high-line in order to compress the play, Sanchez is key to this high-line as the player in the middle, it's incredible to see that for a player so young and this is his only 2nd game that he has slotted straight into this defence is testament to his ability, his role last night was to be last man, and to clear our lines, simple stuff but performed to perfection, he also matched Aubaniang(?) pace too!!

Dier is back to his simplistic best, vocal in the middle of the park, directing players around him, not much gets past him and he's effective at recycling the ball. Dembele wasn't great is the first half, he improved in the 2nd but whilst he wasn't as influential as we know he can be, his ability to hold the ball is still vital to us transitioning from defence to attack.

Eriksen was disappointing in the first half, but that was largely to do with our tactics to sit-in without the ball, in the second half however he was key to our counter attacks and they found it hard to stop his much improved influence. Son's goal was incredible, without that and scoring so early the game could well have taken a different turn, his runs behind are a threat to any team we play against.

Kane = Worldclass!! His first goal was absolutely incredible, such strength and desire and what a fucking finish. He's a leader of men.

The downsides: Ref was poor for both sides, no way was that a yellow for Jan (good news here is because it was two yellows he only misses one game which is Apoel!). Our fans were fucking embarrassing a) for not turning up more people turned up to watch Burnley!! b) Those that did go were out sung from the first whistle to the last by Dortmund, truly fucking awful by us. For those saying the problem is Wembley, well that didn't stop Dortmund singing for 90 mins last night! Also, let's not forget that Dortmund had many of their players injured.

But to end on a positive; Pochetinho he's moved us on so much and got us playing in such a way we are enjoying some of the best football in my lifetime, we tend to forget that as a Coach he is inexperienced in Europe and it's fair to say that our European games under Poch have underwhelmed for a variety of reasons BUT last night Poch showed that he has evolved too. His tactics were spot-on, his team selection was spot-on. I love this man!

This team is great and getting better and better, still with Rose, Dele, Wanyama & Lamela to come back into the squad!!
Can't disagree with much but especially the bit about our fans, we really didn't turn up and who did were embarrassingly quiet. There were a few bars of Maurice the manager being magical but for most of it we weren't above a murmur. Every time I got up to even applaud I was looked at like I had two heads. I know we had a torrid time at Wembley until now but we must do better as a fanbase. Not filling our ground and being outsung on a Champions League opener to above credible opponents is detestable. Credit to the Dortmund lot they made a noise

O713Jg.gif

If this was Messi?

Wembley is only a temporary home. No one feels 'at home' there hence the restricted singing.. I thought there were 2 excellent renditions of Oh when the Spurs but not much after that.

The new ground is going to be excellent. I'm happy to have one off season as there is light at the end of the tunnel unlike some who have to put up with it FOREVER.

Dortmund outsung as at WHL as well, like they would against any English team. But I do agree that although I'd love to see more people getting involved at out home games, I don't want the sort of atmosphere that never reflects what is happening on the pitch.

A lot of people out there are pushing the narrative that this was a lucky win and we didn't deserve it. Which was to be expected of course. If Chelsea or Liverpool had done it exactly like this, they'd all be talking about the genius of the manager, clever performance, etc etc.

Sure there was an element of luck just like there is in most football matches, but that is by no means the only takeaway from this match. There were so many other important factors and the win was largely down to good tactical planning and immense performances from a lot of the guys on the pitch.

My view is that it was a lucky win, but that we did also thoroughly deserve it, and we deserved it for many reasons. The most important is that we have played like BVB did on many past occasions against big teams, and particularly at Wembley, and unfortunately lost. Against Chelsea and even Burnley we hit the post at key moments and made individual defensive mistakes. Against Everton and BVB we scored from ridiculous angles and were let off defensively. In all four games there wasn't a great significant difference performance wise. There were tactical changes and changes in personnel. Crucially, we got ridiculed by the media when we dominated and lost, so it is actually even more sweet to have very intentionally won in this more humbling manner of victory.

We just saw Spurs beat one of the best teams in Europe in the Champions League.

Imagine knowing that was around the corner in 2013.
It would have been unthinkable particularly after the Harry debacle with the FA. I thought we were going back to our mid upper table default position with a revolving door of managers.
We have really kicked on though, & beating Dortmund is a huge indication of where we are now. It wasn't long ago that we were schooled home & away by this bunch. I was worried that we would never be able to compete with a team like that. But we did last night & it was no fluke.

The squad is looking very impressive & solid.

are you watching Woolwich?

Our fans were fucking embarrassing a) for not turning up more people turned up to watch Burnley!! b) Those that did go were out sung from the first whistle to the last by Dortmund, truly fucking awful by us.
The problem is the Wembley acoustics. All of the fans that want to sing are spread around and the resultant sound cancels each other out, or at best distorts the stuff being sung. The away fans are all corralled into one place, so the coordination of the singing is better and the net effect is louder and clearly audible. The Gent fans out sung us for the same reason.
The club should have a singing section (at a reduced rate) to encourage the harmonised and coherent singing and support and then the team will get a better level of backing and it won't always sound like the visitors are the only ones singing.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more...

Been to all the "home" games this season and finally managed to get a seat in the "Park Lane/Shelf Side" bowl in the South West Corner (block 127) and as a section, we were singing a variety of songs through the whole game; particularly the "Being a Yid song".

Everyone further along the west stand should be ashamed of themselves, didn't utter a syllable, didn't seem to know the words of the songs and essentially stood in silence watching us beat the best in Europe.

As a result, the songs didn't travel around the stadium and everyone lost a bit of impetus. If you want to enjoy a good atmosphere, bring it yourselves!

Very concerned about the attendance being so low...what does that mean for us later down the season when it's not a European glamour tie?

No complaints about the performance, but the best atmosphere was at the gates on the way in - "Fuck Wembley, I wanna go home" was the song...funny, but worrying sentiment. We've got it for a year, it is what is. Let's embrace it.
That's what I was saying. That little pocket up to about 130. It was the same last CL. Always at it but it doesn't carry.

Back
Top Bottom