Confess your unpopular opinion.....on Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not a big fan of the 3 man backfield and now that so many teams are playing it I think it will backfire as more teams start to catch on and it will become more difficult to score goals from.

Second part of that same point, I think Eric Dier is a below average center-back that is fortunate to have Verts and Toby as partners, but I believe he's a godly midfielder on form with ridiculous vision and distribution, and he's being mishandled.

I'd like a better look at how Wanyama might perform in that center-back role that Dier is slotted into right now.

Also Americans generally love the underdogs.

I don't know about that. Americans like teams that win when it comes to the EPL. I don't think many of them are interested in the plucky mid-table sides "that play with heart" or the relegation threatened that post 3 points less than a handful of times all season.

Any American that starts following the EPL tends to want success. They pick their team accordingly. In days gone by that was reliably Chelsea, Man City, Woolwich, an Manchester United......now it happens to be us.

Of course none of the following applies to me. I'm the most super legit yank supporter on the planet. :llorishuh:

Credentials since '08.....:mong:

Agreed. Jan or Kane would be captain in my ideal world.

Whilst Hugo is doing a fine job I agree with you that the captain should be out on the field to handle anything that happens out there.

If the midfield collapses Hugo can't get out there and handle it

Never understood the calls for Jan as captain... Until Toby arrived he'd be the first to melt.

Last edited:
I don't agree with you on this point either, then. If you're harking back to the good ol' days of bovril and pies, of wooden seats and piss smell, of fan mags and fights outside the ground, you can count me out. Making Spurs more 'American' whatever that means (and I note in that some casual anti-american xenophobia right away) makes it more accessible to more fans. I wasn't allowed to go to Spurs until the mid-90s because my Mum thought it was too dangerous. Anybody looking back on those days with nostalgia is deluded. Sorry.

How do you know if you weren't there???? :sonpoint:

EDIT: Tbh, your whole post sucks and reeks of envy....

I'm not a big fan of the 3 man backfield and now that so many teams are playing it I think it will backfire as more teams start to catch on and it will become more difficult to score goals from.

Second part of that same point, I think Eric Dier is a below average center-back that is fortunate to have Verts and Toby as partners, but I believe he's a godly midfielder on form with ridiculous vision and distribution, and he's being mishandled.

I'd like a better look at how Wanyama might perform in that center-back role that Dier is slotted into right now.
Backfield?

That was probably a bit harsh of me. I take it back. And yep, my mum certainly wouldn't let me go watch Spurs in the late 80s/early 90s and I don't blame her. She well remembered her brothers coming home roughed-up. You can't possibly be arguing that before things became more 'American', going to WHL was a family-friendly outing.

I smell bullshit here.... You were a fan in the late 80's yet don't remember Clive Allen.... How old were you when you started going on your own in the mid 90's? 8 y/o? No wonder you mum never let you go before then you muppet!

Live football (esp. at a club as big as ours) is NOT opening up to more people...

Backfield?

Man's timing is NOT good. :dembelelol:

Is the captain the only one on the pitch allowed to talk? The captain plays more of a role in the dressing room

And, honestly, I doubt its really much of a role in the dressing room. Leadership is a personality trait, not a title...putting on an armband doesn't mean other very talented, successful, and wealthy people will listen to you.

Completely honorific title in my eyes.

It'll go full circle. I remember in the Jol days it started getting a bit OTT with the "Ohhhhh" in OWTSpurs going on for about a minute
#neverhappy

LOL... I started thinking about that after posting.

All part of the lark, tho' innit...

At the end of the day, as long as it's encouragement, any old fucking noise will do.

Back
Top Bottom