Confess your unpopular opinion.....on Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I kind of hope that Wanyama isn't fit for the opening day so we get to see Winks in action.
This will be Eriksen's last season with us (or maybe the season after).
Dembele is the best central midfielder I have ever seen play at Tottenham, and is a claim for the best central midfielder we have had if he continues the last two season's performances.

I'm not sure if Hugo is the best choice of captain. I feel like having a keeper as captain can leave us a bit short of on field leadership and as a young team has lead to us losing our heads on a couple of occasions. Chelsea and Newcastle matches in 15/16 being examples.

I'm not sure if Hugo is the best choice of captain. I feel like having a keeper as captain can leave us a bit short of on field leadership and as a young team has lead to us losing our heads on a couple of occasions. Chelsea and Newcastle matches in 15/16 being examples.
Agreed. Jan or Kane would be captain in my ideal world.

Whilst Hugo is doing a fine job I agree with you that the captain should be out on the field to handle anything that happens out there.

If the midfield collapses Hugo can't get out there and handle it

Whilst Hugo is doing a fine job I agree with you that the captain should be out on the field to handle anything that happens out there.

Kane is equally as bad a choice for exactly the same reason at the opposite end of the field!

Wanyama, Dembele, Tobes, Jan, or Dier for me!

Nuh-uh... you get me wrong... I've nothing whatsoever against U.S fans embracing and supporting Tottenham Hotspur... after all, what they are 'embracing' is the English football vibe, (and, dare I say it; Premier League competitiveness) with all it's quirks and 'Britishness'... I'm more concerned about Levy/Spurs attempting to turn Spurs into some kind of U.S/Franchise Brand...which, if I'm not mistake, U.S Sports fans already have plenty of... so where's the appeal in going for what they already have?
They want something else that U.S Sport can't necessarily offer... and much of the time, it's to do with seeing the underdog win... a very un-American trait if i'm not mistaken!
Why else do you think Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City etc have such global appeal in the Countries they do...? 'cos many people in The Far East, Asia and 'Murrica just love a winner, no matter how, where or why that success is achieved/bought!

England is different. (which is why you'll see so much 'hate' aimed at the so-called Big Clubs!) We like success, sure... and if it isn't our club for a certain amount of time, then we tend to begrudge anyone else having it... (we have quite a jealous nature) and for certain teams. after an 'agreed' short time of accepting them winning, it either becomes boring, or annoying!

Of the handful of American/Aussie/Foreign Soccer/Football fans that I know, most positively love the atmosphere at English games because it doesn't remind them of the 'organised fun' of some American sports... it's the randomness that they buy into... not the predetermined choreography of being told what and when to cheer!

Someone alluded on here to the pre-match 'Star Wars' walk out music... that is quite typical of where I think (fear) Tottenham see themselves... it's all a bit organised, and all a bit 'piece to camera' and 'everything is a Film trailer' so common these days.

MacNamara's Band or Chas'n'Dave would confuse/scare the hell out of most modern 'foreign' day-tripper fans... and yet those who come and embrace it, fucking love it... that was all.

I don't agree with you on this point either, then. If you're harking back to the good ol' days of bovril and pies, of wooden seats and piss smell, of fan mags and fights outside the ground, you can count me out. Making Spurs more 'American' whatever that means (and I note in that some casual anti-american xenophobia right away) makes it more accessible to more fans. I wasn't allowed to go to Spurs until the mid-90s because my Mum thought it was too dangerous. Anybody looking back on those days with nostalgia is deluded. Sorry.

Another confession:

I thought Michael Dawson was dogshit. I always thought that his level was upper championship/relegation fodder - which he's found - and was baffled that he ever got selected for England. He only looked 'good' when he played next to Ledley. I was mortified when he was given the armband rather than sent packing.

The thing is Hugo is Captain and Kane next in line and take it away from either is likely to make them unhappy and lead to them leaving. Therefore Poch must keep the same order of seniority on the Captaincy or risk losing them.

I don't remember Clive Allen.
giphy.gif

I'm American and I like the Spurs because they are not a massive club expecting everything handed to them on a platter.

Also Americans generally love the underdogs. That's why right now the most hated club usually are whomever is the top dog (NFL Patriots, etc).

The rest I agree.

I don't agree with you on this point either, then. If you're harking back to the good ol' days of bovril and pies, of wooden seats and piss smell, of fan mags and fights outside the ground, you can count me out. Making Spurs more 'American' whatever that means (and I note in that some casual anti-american xenophobia right away) makes it more accessible to more fans. I wasn't allowed to go to Spurs until the mid-90s because my Mum thought it was too dangerous. Anybody looking back on those days with nostalgia is deluded. Sorry.
seriously?
casual xenophobia - and your mum wouldn't let you go out?

- what the fuck is this world turning into?

Back
Top Bottom