The Mighty Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston "not famous anymore" Villa

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Switch back to 4-2-3-1 changed the game. I like the three at the back but it's not for every game and I hope Pochettino agrees with that.

Very true but our tactics didn't chnge. Dier sat between the two CBs as if he was playing CB

Overall movement got a lot better after Janssen was subbed off which is strange because he was making more runs than anyone.

Trippier and Davies were the weak links for me today. If we play the 352 more we'll need better backups.

Having a post match pint & thinking about the game. Bang average performance but job done. Thought GKN was brilliant when he came on. Thoroughly enjoy watching him & hope he gets more match time in the coming weeks.
Thought the Villa fans were excellent today- very vocal.

Just on my way home now. Tubes still running so a result!

First half gash - no exaggeration, the bloke next to me actually fell asleep. Which says a bit about our support in the first half. And probably me.

Second half much better; GKN made a huge impact and Davies was better than most are giving him credit for.

Some cow had a go at me because she thought I was cutting the line at the bar, which I would have said something about but she was massive.

Other than that, a fun night at the Lane - which was fuller than I expected.

Thoughts on the game:

Poch got it wrong playing 3 at the back. He shoe-horned Cameron Carter Vickers into the back line just to give him minutes, at the cost of an attacking player. Felt like CCV made many stupid mistakes and fouls, but only young so fair enough. Was disappointed to see we were playing 3 defenders at the back against a championship club.

No surprised the game changed as soon as Toby went off for GKN and we played with a back 4. Instantly looked more dangerous and GKN got an assist and played well. GKN needs minutes and has looked lively and CCV effectively took his place, very strange.

Trippier and Davies are the best reserve full backs in the league IMO. Both played very well. A lot of our reserve players make me feel comfortable when they get called upon, but without Kane/Alli/Eriksen we look toothless and need more depth up front. Need another AM imo. Getting Lamela back in the coming weeks is going to be huge in these types of games.

Dier looked comfortable and assured, just like last season but didn't really get tested much. Wimmer, Toby and Winks all as good as usual 8/10's performances.

Watching Janssen throw a strop every time a team mate doesn't pass to him is starting to grate. I understand he wants to score but he puts himself in poor positions (1 v 3 in the box, expecting a cross where the defenders are taller and the keeper would probably get it, then throws his arms when it doesn't arrive). I started the season being quite hopeful about him but his attitude seems to be getting worse and doesn't look to be improving or coming to terms with anything. Needs a big season next year or he won't last under Poch.

SIssoko with another assist although didn't look very dangerous. Good spot for the pass though.

Over all content, played professionally but was a boring game where we lacked magic. Hopefully we get a good draw on Monday.

Daniel Levy Jr
@Levymk2
Scintillating performance from start to end. Not an empty seat in the house despite the strikes. Supports stayed to the very end.
Loyalist fans in the world. #You'resimplythebest COYS

Same here. I could not give a toss what Shearer thinks about us, bloke is a failed manager himself, taking the easy money just like all the other managerial failures like Lawrenson and Merson who ponticate and what is right and wrong yet who could not do the job!
Management has nothing to do with subject knowledge. The ability to manage is about allocating team tasks to the the right people, getting people to work together and clearly defining to the team what the management strategy is - whilst motivating the team to buy into the goal and direction you want them to take. Throw in the ability to recruit (the right) personnel who will fit into the team ethic, without unbalancing the team dynamic - and then you are getting close to what a manager is. In the majority of teams the manager engenders far more respect and therefore gets more effort from the team if they respect the managers achievements in their field of expertise. You can remove some of these aspects - but a successful manager has to be really shit hot at everything else.
The people you mention might not be good managers, but it doesn't stop them from having an in depth knowledge of the subject.

Oh yeah, another thought of the game.

How fucking dumb are commentators these days? They watch a huge amount of football and yet their knowledge is wide but very shallow.

When Davies scored Murphy said "I'm not sure what he was doing in there".

We play with inverted full backs now. A lot of the time our full backs will cut inside and get in the box rather than overlap. So few pundits have picked up on this.

Thought the Villa fans were excellent today

Apart from the "Champions of Europe, You'll never sing that"

Where to start?
That was in 1982. In the 35 years since then, they have finished in the top ten just 15 times. Relegated twice and spent the last five years playing in front of about 20k in a ground that holds some 50k

#behemoths

Where to start?
That was in 1982. In the 35 years since then, they have finished in the top ten just 15 times. Relegated twice and spent the last five years playing in front of about 20k in a ground that holds some 50k

#behemoths
Yep.......but.......
It's pissed everyone off. Which is exactly what it's intended to do. If you are forced to show up at a gunfight with nothing but a knife - then you might as well make sure it's a 6 foot broadsword.

Singing that they were the best team in Birmingham would have impressed no-one

Where to start?

#behemoths
never sing that, that's a very bold statement. There are at least 300 yrs left of humanity surely and an awful lot of football.

Thought the Villa fans were excellent today- very vocal.

Some of their songs I simply could not understand. I guess it's the mix of Chinese and Brummie. But I seriously hated them when they started all that "Champions of Europe...you will never sing that". It was just fucking annoying. I hear their owner thinks they will be a European Super Club inside 4 years. Good luck with that one.....

Aston Villa: New owner Tony Xia wants club to be as well known as 'Madrid or Barcelona'

Back
Top Bottom