The Mighty Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston "not famous anymore" Villa

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You know the trouble with us for a while has been the reluctance of some to buy into the squad. I know it's not nice not playing, but you can understand if the other player is performing. Yet their has been discord and bitternesss with it before, openly.
It seems, I could be wrong, that the players we have now are not of that mentality. They work hard in training and do not sulk.
They all seem to be extremely competent and tactically adept when they have to slot in.
You can see by goal celebrations when the unused players are equally as happy. I can't seem to remember that much togetherness before, maybe I am wrong.

You need to have a squad to win stuff. If we are to go far in all the cup competitions and challenge for the league.

Don't you agree that , if you watch him, there's so many opportunities for players to give him the ball yet they go wide or square? Maybe they have little confidence in him, I don't know , I'm not at the training sessions . But all I see is a player finding space repeatedly , not getting the ball & when he finally does he panics

Maybe there is some truth in it but at the same time I don't really see him screaming for it. I don't think his positioning is that good. Doesn't stay central. Maybe they don't have confidence in him. It's just no surprise that when he goes off, we start playing with more energy and movement and the goals come. Alli coming on helped too. I don't think being subbed off was a tactical thing

Maybe there is some truth in it but at the same time I don't really see him screaming for it. I don't think his positioning is that good. Doesn't stay central. Maybe they don't have confidence in him. It's just no surprise that when he goes off, we start playing with more energy and movement and the goals come. Alli coming on helped too. I don't think being subbed off was a tactical thing

I like u Nikesh ... post more you beautiful septic melon

I think he's just looking for the ball, he goes wide as Mido , soldado & many of our out of form strikers do.

I think once he gets his feet on the ground , he's a real talent

I think he's just looking for the ball, he goes wide as Mido , soldado & many of our out of form strikers do.

But when the overlapping FB's are looking for a cross he's hopelessly out of position. Caught out laying the ball off with a 2 yard pass, and then turning to get in the box and it's too late. His positioning is poor imo.

Can we still be friends?

But when the overlapping FB's are looking for a cross he's hopelessly out of position. Caught out laying the ball off with a 2 yard pass, and then turning to get in the box and it's too late. His positioning is poor imo.

Can we still be friends?

I hate you ,, but yes , we can't raise this child on our own

Last edited:

Can we still be friends?

I'll re quote u as I mean no 'Rrm

I think he's just looking for the ball,contributes ide as Mido , soldado & many of our out of form strikers do.

I fully agree although modern CF do not seem to stay central. Does he play this way as he is expected to or is ge asked to play the old fashion centre forward way and use him as a target man. The way Chelsea play suits Costa staying down the middle and long ball football., Maybe Im wrong and Janssen hasnt got a clue or he is working his bollocks off? I feel hecwill coje good.

I fully agree although modern CF do not seem to stay central. Does he play this way as he is expected to or is ge asked to play the old fashion centre forward way and use him as a target man. The way Chelsea play suits Costa staying down the middle and long ball football., Maybe Im wrong and Janssen hasnt got a clue or he is working his bollocks off? I feel hecwill coje good.

Any chance of a spooning ?

Nah but I agree ,we stick with him & I think we have a real talent on our hands

Im sure Poch got some valuable insights on the second eleven by playing 3 at the back. Simply doesnt work well without top notch wing backs and, in particular, the creativity of an Eriksen. Dropping a defender and adding another in attack worked wonders. Live and learn.

Poor Vinnie looks like he needs a map to goal. Rarely has the ball facing it. Still hoping the penny will drop at some stage, but he wont be playing many minutes in the first team on current form.

Im sure Poch got some valuable insights on the second eleven by playing 3 at the back. Simply doesnt work well without top notch wing backs and, in particular, the creativity of an Eriksen. Dropping a defender and adding another in attack worked wonders. Live and learn.

Poor Vinnie looks like he needs a map to goal. Rarely has the ball facing it. Still hoping the penny will drop at some stage, but he wont be playing many minutes in the first team on current form.
You could say that about any system, better the player? I feel we are all getting wrapped up in systems. Chelsea use 3 CBs and get everyone behind the ball because Luis is weak and past his best and Cahill cant defend running towards his own goal. We play 3 CBs who can all defend well. The 3 yesterday were solid and allowed the rest to get forward..
I feel Poch got it spot ol. There were a lot of changes.

Think poch got the formation wrong too. 3 attacking players never looked potent. Not surprised a formation change resulted in a couple of goals
Disagree, he lost a defender, Alderwierd to push forward , we scored. They tried to counter this by making 3 subs to get back in the game.The game opened up and we were too good for them.we won 2 nil, he got it spot on over 90 mins.

I think Poch was ATTEMPTING an Ajax/Barca by telling the players "THIS IS the system..." the Tottenham way if you will??
Its up to the players to adapt to whatever system the Manager wants... whether it's 'Push and Run' or 'Hoof it and Hope'!

What yesterday showed us is that we DO need the right players to play that system, though ironically, I think Trippier is cut out for that system, seeing as he's one of the best crossers of the ball at the club...
He just needs Walker's pace and he'd be unstoppable!

Maybe I was harsh on Janssen ... but really, how many more opportunities does he need before we cut our losses?
Maybe he's just not right for the system...

Maybe Stoke or West Ham would suit him better??

Back
Top Bottom