Surfer flag

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

yeh that's what i hate about them. look like they've all been taken from pretty much the same template and had the words changed.

This. Plastic looking. Shame cos it will be fine still but it will look like a corporate, sanitised imitation of the real thing at clubs where supporters are "allowed" to support.

This. Plastic looking. Shame cos it will be fine still but it will look like a corporate, sanitised imitation of the real thing at clubs where supporters are "allowed" to support.
Drums, flags. It's all too late. We sold out to the middle class supporters who thought the atmosphere came for free, and had no idea that, as people who attended the games, they were an integral part of it. I've had the feeling for a number of years that the Park Lane and Shelf side, are just performing seals for the circus goers.

NYSpurs was told we couldn't hang our flag and that we had to surf it in Chicago. When the NYSpurs flag was passed over our section everyone blazed up. Someone asked- can we move the flag? We responded- don't you fuvking move it till we tell you too.
This experience has changed my view on the entire subject.

A surfer flag doesn't exclude other things, but it's a good start. At the new stadium we could do fancier things like the Dortmund one.

If you think a surfer flag is just the beginning I think your understanding of levy/English football is totally different to mine..the gentrification of football excludes the type of fan groups nessary for large scale Banners/flags etc..
The problem is as much a problem with the fans as it is with the powers that be..1882 is doing its best to rectify this, but i doubt there type of support will ever become mainstream

If you think a surfer flag is just the beginning I think your understanding of levy/English football is totally different to mine..the gentrification of football excludes the type of fan groups nessary for large scale Banners/flags etc..
The problem is as much a problem with the fans as it is with the powers that be..1882 is doing its best to rectify this, but i doubt there type of support will ever become mainstream

Can't see that us suddenly paying 10 quid to get into the Park Lane with our beer...but one year ago a surfing flag was out of the question, the drum is back, 1882 will be at games this season too. We'll see, there are positives!

Can't see that us suddenly paying 10 quid to get into the Park Lane with our beer...but one year ago a surfing flag was out of the question, the drum is back, 1882 will be at games this season too. We'll see, there are positives!

Don't think your getting me..yes the drum is back but unlike every other drum in the world our drum is not part of a larger group/band etc. more often than not the cunt plays his own beats and fucks up everyone else's. Dortmunds banner requires a huge supporters group that is organised and practiced as well as relying on the fact that all of them can actually get a ticket..
Everyone has high hopes at the new stadium, but I can't see levy thinking 'let's build a new stadium so I can enhance fan power and get the poorer section of tottenham fans in on cheaper tickets'...the emirates is a perfect example of bigger capacities not equalling cheaper prices.. You watch the yid 'kop' at the new stadium will be filled by middle class families in no time or asian tourists..

I don't particularly want a surfer flag as it all seems a bit sterile and false.
However it's great that the trust is getting the club to budge on smaller issues, fingers crossed it leads to bigger and better things.

I like the idea of a bigger flag, but they all look the same as the small one.
(Sorry if anyone here designed any of the suggestions, I might be a little bitter that the ones I submitted wasn't picked for the voting process...)

Drums, flags. It's all too late. We sold out to the middle class supporters who thought the atmosphere came for free, and had no idea that, as people who attended the games, they were an integral part of it. I've had the feeling for a number of years that the Park Lane and Shelf side, are just performing seals for the circus goers.

Being what I guess you'd call 'middle class' myself I beg to differ that it's purely a class issue. I deliberately got my ticket in park lane so I could contribute to that atmosphere instead if being stuck up in the west upper when my dad used to take me as a nipper. I think age has far more of a factor as you look around now and even the 'working class' fans are in their 40s and up and just don't seem as interested in causing constant noise. Hopefully the new categorisation of u18s getting concessions will help

I don't particularly want a surfer flag as it all seems a bit sterile and false.
However it's great that the trust is getting the club to budge on smaller issues, fingers crossed it leads to bigger and better things.
From my understanding (rumour, so treat with a pinch of salt) it was Joe Lewis who wanted a surfer flag "because it looks great on TV".
For me I say let's have one but it should be displayed in Paxton/Upper East or West Stands.

Also I'm not sure the flag will have much effect on atmosphere but in the spirit of supporting the trust and the people who are making an effort I voted for the one that says north London is ours

Being what I guess you'd call 'middle class' myself I beg to differ that it's purely a class issue. I deliberately got my ticket in park lane so I could contribute to that atmosphere instead if being stuck up in the west upper when my dad used to take me as a nipper. I think age has far more of a factor as you look around now and even the 'working class' fans are in their 40s and up and just don't seem as interested in causing constant noise. Hopefully the new categorisation of u18s getting concessions will help
People would probably call me middle class as well, and like you, the Park Lane is my choice, although I do go in the Upper East when I take my dad. I should probably have said the gentrification of football has led to a decline in atmosphere, class is a hoary old subject. you make a good point about the U18's.

This conversation just reminded me of the guy who usually sits in block 32 row 19 around seats 1-5.

Whenever he has grief with the ref he screams 'you middle class out of touch cunt!' I don't think he's joking either.

Also he used to call drogba a mini cab driver so I don't think he's an entirely pleasant human being.

Back
Top Bottom