Surfer flag

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why mug them off? They're on our side.

they're on our side are they?

it seems to me they have become a rather pathetic bridge between the supportors and levy/enic...
their position as the 'official trust' relies on not just us supporters giving them legitimacy but also in maintaining themselves as the official channel of communication with levy/enic..
not only are they unelected but they also have a vested interest in not pissing of the powers that be, something which runs counter to many of the concerns of fans. All the campaigns/concerns which have been voiced to the fans have been given lip service by THST yet no action has been taken and when it is (surfer flag) its an absolute failure.
should i pay homage to a group that runs trivia nights and sucks of levy in its spare time simply because its the 'official trust'.....fuck no, you blokes can but count me out...

they're on our side are they?

it seems to me they have become a rather pathetic bridge between the supportors and levy/enic...
their position as the 'official trust' relies on not just us supporters giving them legitimacy but also in maintaining themselves as the official channel of communication with levy/enic..
not only are they unelected but they also have a vested interest in not pissing of the powers that be, something which runs counter to many of the concerns of fans. All the campaigns/concerns which have been voiced to the fans have been given lip service by THST yet no action has been taken and when it is (surfer flag) its an absolute failure.
should i pay homage to a group that runs trivia nights and sucks of levy in its spare time simply because its the 'official trust'.....fuck no, you blokes can but count me out...

Yes, they're unelected. But that also means they're giving up their own time to do something they don't have to do. And the fact they're unelected, means you're also welcome to set up your own trust if you think you could do such a great job.

I'm not completely familiar with everything the Trust does but have been following their stuff and reading minutes and various bits for the past year or so- do tend to agree that they pussyfoot around the club too much because they don't want to piss them off.

It's always a petition or an advisory to the club, never a tough stance like "hold a sec, you're taking the fucking piss and this is unacceptable".

Some of their stuff is interesting though, the woolwich allocation work they've done has been interesting, but again it hasn't really got us anywhere.

I think you're all forgetting that Tottnham is a business run by business men. The Trust have no power because they like us are customers, not members. Levy doesn't listen to the Trust because he doesn't have to. You're talking about the Trust doing this and doing that with seemingly no knowledge of how difficult it is make even the slightest bit of difference. They're doing good work, and are certainly more proactive than any Tottenham Trust has been in decades. They've made progress with Stubhub and ticket pricing, they've also been hardline as their tenuous position allows them to be. All Trust officials can be voted off by members but no one can be bothered to become a member or go to meetings. What everyone can be bothered to do is take to messageboards and twitter to slag them off at every turn.

People winge about levy but if he cast his eye down at us for even a moment, he'd be rubbing his hands together and laughing at us infighting rather than uniting behind a proactive trust.

I'm not completely familiar with everything the Trust does but have been following their stuff and reading minutes and various bits for the past year or so- do tend to agree that they pussyfoot around the club too much because they don't want to piss them off.

It's always a petition or an advisory to the club, never a tough stance like "hold a sec, you're taking the fucking piss and this is unacceptable".

Some of their stuff is interesting though, the woolwich allocation work they've done has been interesting, but again it hasn't really got us anywhere.

That's the political nature of dealing with organisations. If you go in all guns blazing demanding this and that, they'd tell you to fuck off and close down all lines of communications. Then you end up like the sad old duffers at the Spirit of Shankly who mouth off non stop in the media but achieve the square root of fuck all.

It's all politics. You have to play the game. Take the wins when you can get them

That's the political nature of dealing with organisations. If you go in all guns blazing demanding this and that, they'd tell you to fuck off and close down all lines of communications. Then you end up like the sad old duffers at the Spirit of Shankly who mouth off non stop in the media but achieve the square root of fuck all.

It's all politics. You have to play the game. Take the wins when you can get them
I think Abbey Yid Abbey Yid 's point though was that there doesn't seem to be a great deal of wins for the Trust. I don't disagree that there is a political game to play, but at the end of the the day the Trust is meant to be a pressure group that stands up for fans and history first. If that becomes compromised in an effort not to displeasure the corporate entity that the current incarnation of THFC is, doesn't the whole point of it become lost?

I think Abbey Yid Abbey Yid 's point though was that there doesn't seem to be a great deal of wins for the Trust. I don't disagree that there is a political game to play, but at the end of the the day the Trust is meant to be a pressure group that stands up for fans and history first. If that becomes compromised in an effort not to displeasure the corporate entity that the current incarnation of THFC is, doesn't the whole point of it become lost?
Not if the alternative is having no communication surely?

As others have noted, Levy really doesn't give a flying one. Would be absolutely no skin off his nose if he never met a fan again. If the Trusts' softly approach works (and I think they have had some wins - club amending StubHub process is a MASSIVE win imo. You don't get eBay to bow down easily - and other stuff like finally getting a larger flag even in to the ground, even though it really was a postage stamp) keep it going. Slowly slowly catchy monkey and all that.

Of course it's not just the team but if we were ten points clear now we would be going mental every game.

HOWEVER:

Silly ticket prices and the feeling you are being raped every time you go
Games at stupid times
Getting told to sit down
Ever aging demographic
Not having anywhere decent to drink
Sniffer dogs at games
Fear of getting collared for singing a football song
Stub hub

And the fact everyone seems to be sick of the sight of each other rather than having a laugh all contributes.

Oh and don't bring your missus for fucks sake, she's only going to look at you disapprovingly if you are smashed and trying to sing songs about a player who hasn't played for the club for five years.

We have lost our madness.

Quite right.
Also that was a lovely caveat about bringing your missus too. Seen mates try that to the same effect in front of disapproving better halves
Bravo Sir.

This was my (1882-inspired) entry, didn't make the cut though...

142ubf9.jpg

I had hoped they wouldn't all be so 'official' looking

Back
Top Bottom