Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be chirpy as fuck, if we ever managed to sign Turan.

EmptyDimwittedBobcat.gif
I'd be chirpy as fuck if we got any of the 3 behind Mandzuckic, Greizzman, Arda and Koke are all wonderful players, I've always wanted Koke here but Arda really is just as good if not better, but he is slightly older

This summer has to predominantly be about getting rid of the crud that Poch doesn't want. And then giving him a reasonable amount of freedom to get in those that he does.

What we don't need is levy spending all summer haggling over unrealistic sale prices for players while saying we have to sell before we can buy.

Probably wishful thinking that the latter won't happen!
i disagree that levy overvalues our players. the 8m asking price for friedel is more than reasonable.

I see the usual transfer junkies are smoking the good stuff the past few days.

"I'd love it of X, Y, Z top player came". Yeah, not gonna happen this year (as if it has ever really happened any year under Levy). Expect a few more kids and put your hopes on one becoming the next Bale.

I think it safe to totally ignore any big name big price links this summer.

Would like to see us go for Benteke but Villa will want 20m odd and we won't pay it.

I'd love Benteke at spurs but there are some downsides - he is a confidence player (in contrast to his beefcake appearance he's a very soft and sensitive lad) and what would we do with Kane ? Both would have to start together and i cant see Kane becoming a number ten again now that he has kickstarted his career as the main striker - and both have a similar playing style, lovely footwork, can strike from everywhere and are very good at chosing positions

Benteke is a bit better at link up play and Kane is better at shooting (curve balls)

When you actually review the sqaud for players good enough or at least in your own opinion good enough to be with us if we are to progress if making for grim reading in terms of the 'deadwood'.

Not good enough

Chriches - sometimes like him but he's a cowboy mainly.
Kaboul - Not good enough.
Fazio - good in the air but way to slow for a pressing system.
Stambouli - Marginal call, ok player but looks like he's running in custard, so slow.
Paulinho - No arguement required.
Townsend - Love him to death as a Spurs fan but not good enough.
Soldado - A striker that cannot finish.
Ade - just nuts.
Lennon - Already gone.
Carroll - A maybe, interesting but my feeling is he won't make it.

I just hope Levy moves these guys quickly and doesn't haggel till the end of the window so we can cash, save wages and buy what we need in good time. Still at least we should be self funding for what we need to buy when we sell these guys.

Playing inverted wingers isn't the problem, it's having poor inverted wingers that is the issue. Most of the world's top teams play inverted wingers. Bayern, Real, Barcelona, United, Chelsea etc. As with many of our issues, it's not the tactic it's the players.

Playing inverted wingers isn't the problem, it's having poor inverted wingers that is the issue. Most of the world's top teams play inverted wingers. Bayern, Real, Barcelona, United, Chelsea etc. As with many of our issues, it's not the tactic it's the players.

Hence why I am looking forward to Pritchard. A lot of the inverted wingers are not really wingers either, David Silva and Nasri start of the wings for City but are not wingers they just move and play between the lines. I feel we need a proper winger with pace and a David Silva type player to link between midfield and attack.

Hence why I am looking forward to Pritchard. A lot of the inverted wingers are not really wingers either, David Silva and Nasri start of the wings for City but are not wingers they just move and play between the lines. I feel we need a proper winger with pace and a David Silva type player to link between midfield and attack.

Yeah exactly, when I was thinking of the top teams that didn't play true inverted wingers it was mostly teams like City and Atletico who play funky hybrid 4-4-2 with exactly how you describe Nasri and Silva playing. For Atletico they do similar things with Koke and Turan which has allowed Griezmann to play striker in most games.

I think the thing is that Eriksen is in that Silva mould but his form over the last month has completely evaporated which has led to our creativity problems. I was at the game on Saturday and thought it was a bit of a funny one. IMO, Mason and Bentaleb had quite good games winning the ball and playing it quickly forward but the ball was just dying with our three attacking midfielders. Nothing produced by them at all. As the game went on Kane kept dropping deeper and deeper as he was clearly getting frustrated. Ultimately, Rose was our most creative player.

All this goes to say that when Eriksen isn't creating we are still super stagnant. Need to bolster the options around him in a big way as he can be inconsistent. Pritchard looks like a great (also free) start to that goal.

Yeah exactly, when I was thinking of the top teams that didn't play true inverted wingers it was mostly teams like City and Atletico who play funky hybrid 4-4-2 with exactly how you describe Nasri and Silva playing. For Atletico they do similar things with Koke and Turan which has allowed Griezmann to play striker in most games.

I think the thing is that Eriksen is in that Silva mould but his form over the last month has completely evaporated which has led to our creativity problems. I was at the game on Saturday and thought it was a bit of a funny one. IMO, Mason and Bentaleb had quite good games winning the ball and playing it quickly forward but the ball was just dying with our three attacking midfielders. Nothing produced by them at all. As the game went on Kane kept dropping deeper and deeper as he was clearly getting frustrated. Ultimately, Rose was our most creative player.

All this goes to say that when Eriksen isn't creating we are still super stagnant. Need to bolster the options around him in a big way as he can be inconsistent. Pritchard looks like a great (also free) start to that goal.

Agreed. All of our main issues come from the attacking 3 not working properly. The pressing is awful, the passing, the linking, basically the lot. I am unsure why poch doesn't play Lamela and Dembele, Eriksen is too weak for the central role, he gets bullied and Chadli and Townsend have been useless. Put Eriksen to the left, Dembele in the middle and Lamela to the right, we played with this before and it worked I recall.

Next season hopefully we will have more options in that area so Kane doesn't get so isolated.

For realistic improvements there are players like McCarthy at Everton, Benteke at Villa and De Jong at Milan. Cresswell at West Ham, and even someone like Scott Dann (i know that sounds insane but he has performed brilliantly this season, and is far better than Fazio) who would all improve us as a squad.

I really don't know enough about European or worldwide football any more to know which other players are good but those five are players who aren't ludicrously valued, and I would imagine would be open to joining us.

Not expect him to play the best part of 40 games in less than 6 months?
Agreed but still you'd have two top strikers both wanting to play the top games and in the current system that would mean of of them sitting out those games - something neither would accept i think.

And Benteke would be very expensive, esp if he is a 'back up' option

Since poch is our coach, we haven't added a single player to improve our offense. I'm sure that poch and Levy have seen enough this season to change it this summer. At least 2 wingers have to leave and we have to add the same amount + Pritchard. Furthermore a real option to Kane plus a deep cm have to be no. 2 on the priority list.
We are quite ok at cb and after we sold kaboul +1 we will have the funds to add one more there which will be enough.
I know that is a massive change in player material, but we are able to sell 8-9 players without affecting our current first XI. We need the players for poch's system and I am pretty sure we'll get some in the right positions.

Kane's incredible form has somewhat taken the focus off our attacking issues in the same way that Bale's did in 2013. While we have vastly improved the tempo of our play tactically and passing from deep with the inclusion of Bentaleb and Mason we now lack serious creativity in our band of three.
  • Eriksen is probably our most naturally talented player but he has done nothing to dispel the tag of inconsistent that he has had since he came from Ajax. Both this season and last season he has went through scintillating periods of form as well as relatively ineffective periods. There is also the question of him holding up in Pochettino's pressing style. I'm optimistic that he can but there is no guarantee.
  • Chadli is an interesting one. His goal and assist numbers are pretty incredible. 8 goals is second only to Hazard in terms of EPL wingers and five assists is a very respectable tally. However, I feel like a lot of games he gets his goal or assist that his only contribution to the game. I struggle to think of one example of a game he's really been stellar whistle to whistle in. Doesn't press effectively either.
  • Townsend and Lamela are interesting in the fact that both are young and clearly have some ability. Townsend isn't the most cerebral of players though I think he has improved in that throughout the season and Lamela doesn't play at the pace of the EPL yet. He can be creative but only when give massive amounts of time and space on the ball. Neither have shown the quality to be a starter on a team of our ambition. Lots to prove.
Lots of criticism has been thrown at Mason and Bentaleb for their inability to protect the back four but I think a lot of it is unfair. While those two are young and have their faults, I think most of the blame needs to be placed on those in front of them. I was there against Villa and Mason and Bentaleb were covering massive amounts of the pitch because of how easily Villa were breaking the press. Eriksen, Townsend, and Chadli simply don't do a good enough job pressing the ball and it puts so much pressure on the six behind them because of that. Granted, the six behind them don't always cover themselves in glory but a press is an eleven man job and I think in our recent swoon the three attacking midfielders have been the weakest link. Not only that, they aren't providing anything going forward.

For me, I would be look at minimum two and optimally three additions to that spot this summer. Pritchard seems like a shoe in and I wouldn't be surprised to see him push for the starting 11 but I think two more additions wouldn't be amiss. It isn't exactly a deep position considering we have about five players for three spots and Pochettino could very well make judgments that Lamela and Townsend aren't good enough. While CB, CM, and back up forward are areas of importance I think attacking midfield fire power and pressing ability are our most severe weakness.

Tottenham will likely have to make major sales in the summer if they want to bring in any foreign stars.

Spurs have seventeen foreign players on their books, the current maximum allowed under Premier League guidelines.

Emmanuel Adebayor, Etienne Capoue, Cristian Ceballos, Nacer Chadli, Vlad Chiriches, Moussa Dembele, Christian Eriksen, Federico Fazio, Brad Friedel, Younes Kaboul, Erik Lamela, Hugo Lloris, Paulinho, Roberto Soldado, Benjamin Stambouli, Jan Vertonghen and Michel Vorm are the registered players that don't qualify as homegrown at White Hart Lane.

The club will already have to sell one from that group if they want to bring in another player that hasn't spent three years between the age of 16 and 21 in the English football system.

But things could get a lot worse if FA chairman Greg Dyke's new homegrown rules are implemented.

Dykes's proposal will see that limit of non-homegrown players lowered to thirteen, meaning that four of those above will have to leave.

Additionally, the rules for homegrown players will change, meaning that players will have to have been at a club since the age of 15 to qualify as homegrown, regardless of their nationality. It means the likes of Nabil Bentaleb can not be included on that list despite him rising to the first team from the Spurs academy.

Spurs will not have any problem with the proposed rule that demands that at least two of the 12 homegrown players come through the academy, with the likes of Ryan Mason, Harry Kane and Andros Townsend all first-team regulars.

What is a problem though is that, several of the squad's players that didn't have to be registered because they were 21 or younger this season, have naturally turned a year older.

Ben Davies and Harry Kane as well as Alex Pritchard will all have turned 22 by the time the new season starts, meaning they will have to be included on Tottenham's list of 25 players for the first time in order to play in the Premier League. As neither Bentaleb or defender Eric Dier turn 22 until next year, they don't need to be registered until the 2016-17 season.

Spurs submitted a squad list of 23 at the start of this season, with six homegrown players included, though two of those, Aaron Lennon and Kyle Naughton, have since departed. With no players arriving in January, it meant the North London club only registered 21 players at the end of the winter transfer window.

Including Davies, Kane and Pritchard in the registered squads next season takes Spurs back up to 24 players, and increases their registered homegrown quota back to seven. If Lennon or Tom Carroll return to the first team after their respective loan-spells, the Tottenham squad goes to its maximum 25-player limit, with 8 homegrown players.

But this means that no foreign players can be signed unless players from the existing batch of imports are first sold. If Dyke's rules are implemented, Spurs would already have to lost four non-homegrown players as previously stated.

Tottenham aren't the only club who would have to do some juggling within their squad to make the new guidelines, with Manchester City and Chelsea already having issues ahead of next season. Luckily, if the changes Dyke has proposed are accepted, clubs will have four years to get in shape, and during that time the prices for the very best young homegrown talent is set to soar.

With Tottenham's academy currently producing some outstanding prospects, these problems are more about the emphasis on offloading under performing foreign imports than a desperate search for homegrown players.

The likes of Paulinho, Roberto Soldao and Erik Lamela are some of the big name international imports who have disappointed, while there are also fringe players such as Cristian Ceballos and Brad Friedel at the club who will be deemed expendable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom