Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need some better wide players. Townsend, lamela and chadli, just don't do enough in my view.
I've been saying that for the past 2 seasons ... an actual winger - not those fancy indirect types - is really needed. All I wanted last summer was a LW. I'm praying that Depay chooses us this Summer.

I've been saying that for the past 2 seasons ... an actual winger - not those fancy indirect types - is really needed. All I wanted last summer was a LW. I'm praying that Depay chooses us this Summer.

Pochettino doesn't play that way. He uses fullbacks for width, and wingers to cut in and create or make diagonal runs into the box.

We're not going to get a traditional winger, or maybe any wide players at all, with Pritchard and Onomah ready to get first team minutes.

We need two strikers, at least one central midfielder and possibly a centreback.

Wingers aren't likely on the list.

The more I see of our second string the more I get pissed off, starting to lean towards a large clear out of players and let more young players pick up the free positions as at least they will get experience. So many good things this season have happened with Poch and our young players like Kane and Bentaleb but the deadwood is like a rope around our neck. This moment I would let the following go for as much as we can get.

Ade
Soldado
Townsend
Lennon (already half gone)
Kaboul
Paulinho
Capoue
Chirches

Maybe some will think I am being harsh but these guys pick up wages and justify nothing in my eyes, I am more relutant to let Townsend go as he is a Spurs fan but I am not able to see what he offers. If we can get resonable cash and free some wages I think we can have a good window.

I don't get why you all want Townsend to be sold. Sure, he hasn't the quality to be a regular and I don't think he will have it one day neither (although it's still possible), but he has become a team player who takes responsibility (e.g. by taking penalties), who always gives everything for the team and who is quite effective as sub to run at tired defenses. If he doesn't want to go I don't have any idea why we should sell him...

Nevertheless, a new winger is definitely required. Only question is: who should that be (realistcally)?

It's clear Kaboul, Capoue and Adebayor have little future at the club. I don't see all three leaving in the summer though, although I don't know whether that's lack of buyers or them refusing to leave. Transfermarkt has Adebayor's contract expiring this year (along with Brad), but that's not true is it?

I imagine Chiriches will be sold and Paulinho will want to move on, Soldado seems the type to want to fight to prove he's good enough for us but it's hard to see how anyone can see his worth as second choice striker for the club.

- Friedel is retiring.
- I'd sell Kaboul and Chiriches, and bring in one CB. Our defense still looks dodgy.
- I'd sell Paulie and Capoue, and bring in one CM. A lot of dead wood here.
- I'd bring in a left winger, we still need some creativity.
- I'd sell one or both of Adebayor and/or Soldado, and bring in one or two strikers.

That's 6-7 out and 4-5 in, with maybe some room for promoting one or two youths.

Basically Pochettino has done well with the hands he was dealt, but there's still room for improvement all across the pitch.

Oh, and sell Bongani Khumalo, please.

I don't understand why lamela is still playing in the starting XI. He produced ONE great pass in 90 minutes against fiorentina. I don't know how you guys think about him, but I would try to sell him back to Italy for around 20 mil before he has no resale value.

The more I see of our second string the more I get pissed off, starting to lean towards a large clear out of players and let more young players pick up the free positions as at least they will get experience. So many good things this season have happened with Poch and our young players like Kane and Bentaleb but the deadwood is like a rope around our neck. This moment I would let the following go for as much as we can get.

Ade
Soldado
Townsend
Lennon (already half gone)
Kaboul
Paulinho
Capoue
Chirches

Maybe some will think I am being harsh but these guys pick up wages and justify nothing in my eyes, I am more relutant to let Townsend go as he is a Spurs fan but I am not able to see what he offers. If we can get resonable cash and free some wages I think we can have a good window.
I would add Dembele to your list.

I don't understand why lamela is still playing in the starting XI. He produced ONE great pass in 90 minutes against fiorentina. I don't know how you guys think about him, but I would try to sell him back to Italy for around 20 mil before he has no resale value.
He seems unable to adapt and develop his game, which is worrying. Still want to give him time though..of course by the time we've given up on him his value might have dropped to 1/10th of what we bought him for :pochfacepalm:

He presses better at RW than any alternative, he creates more than the available alternatives we've seen this year, and he's also scored more.

I hope he picks things up, and actually think he will, but even with all the caveats, he's still been our best RW option all year.

If Pritchard or Onomah explode out of the blocks next year, or Onomah steps up this year in chances he hopefully will get, that might change things. But as it stands, for all the complaints, he's still the best player we have for that position.

- Friedel is retiring.
- I'd sell Kaboul and Chiriches, and bring in one CB. Our defense still looks dodgy.
- I'd sell Paulie and Capoue, and bring in one CM. A lot of dead wood here.
- I'd bring in a left winger, we still need some creativity.
- I'd sell one or both of Adebayor and/or Soldado, and bring in one or two strikers.

That's 6-7 out and 4-5 in, with maybe some room for promoting one or two youths.

Basically Pochettino has done well with the hands he was dealt, but there's still room for improvement all across the pitch.

Oh, and sell Bongani Khumalo, please.

Id love to see us do all this business in one window, but it’s incredibly doubtful

Levy takes a week to decide whether to super size or not.

He seems unable to adapt and develop his game, which is worrying. Still want to give him time though..of course by the time we've given up on him his value might have dropped to 1/10th of what we bought him for :pochfacepalm:

He's young and shows moments of class. He's had one full season so I think it's worthwhile giving him more time. If we want to improve we need to stop chopping and changing the squad and hoping for immediate impact players. Definitely deadwood to shift but I wouldn't put him in that bracket

What's going to be key for Pochs system is the players understand it and know where the other players are without thinking. The best way forward is going to be integrating new blood over time rather than wholesale personnel changes. A mediocre settled team with a good system will function better than a great team who don't understand one another. Look at United!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom