Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
so do I. desperately.

But you and i both know that if we dropped 200 mill on messi and ronaldo they would both break each other's legs in training and be out for 3 years.

We are doomed mate. Doomed.

#spursy

On that we can both agree. At some time (I should imagine round the time of the Big Bang) a higher force mapped out destiny for us all.

Some would be blessed, others cursed. Some a combination of the two.

Yes I was born with a destiny that would lead me to great riches with a taste in coats second to none....

But born into a family that were cursed by a love of Spurs and furthermore endowed with a tiny schmeck.....

God gives with one hand and takes away with another....

#highercircles

Last edited:
maybe. maybe not.
It depends on whether you buy the right players with that money. The level we are at and with no CL football we would be talking about spending huge wages to bring in a 'world class' player. Sadly the top tier players just aren't interested in Spurs. We aren't on their radar.

That's a strawman. You don't have to go out and get a superstar in order to strengthen the squad.

trix on coys

Poch is very happy with the squad he has got!

Levy was heavily criticised last Summer for having no coherent transfer plan, so
instead this year we set out a list of targets that Poch thinks will improve squad in the positions he thinks need upgrading. With CB we have had a preferential list which we have worked our way through until we have gotten our target because Poch didn't have faith in what we had and the ones at the top of the list became unobtainable for one reason or another. That is a very different situation to the other signings we wanted.

There is no point in just bringing in players that the manager really doesn't fancy, because come January/next summer we will be looking to move them on again, (which is so very difficult) just to get the players that were top of the list as of now. Yes I think if we had pushed earlier we could have got Welbeck, but the fact is Poch wanted J-Rod which is why we dallied over getting Welbeck done on loan. As time moved on it became apparent that the loan option was no longer viable and it would have to be a a full transfer if we were to get him. No way were we going to pay in excess of £15mil for Welbeck, when the manager would STILL want Rodriguez in January.

IMO both deals for the Saints boys were possible, but it would have meant throwing a lot more money at the players than even Poch deemed they were worth(financially speaking). Yes it has been a disappointing end to the window but I will just reiterate Poch is very happy with the squad as is. I am underwhelmed with today but I'd rather wait and get the manager what he wants than another scatter gun approach like we had last summer, and we have addressed quite a few issues this window already. LB, RB, CB and CM have all been in Poch's opinion upgraded and that is the key to what he needs to do his job properly.

He is being backed even if it doesn't look like it from the outside, buying players he didn't want just for the sake of buying them would not be backing him, it would have been exactly the opposite.

And for anyone that puts this down to Levy PR spin, my info comes form sources close to Poch and to the Southampton end of things, not Levy or the club itself.

Poch will learn .. He won't be happy with squad when we go two or three games getting battered like yesterday in a row and when pressure is on these spurs boys fall by wayside as is our club off last 40 years .. A few bad results and media pressure and poch will be out door.. No top manager is happy with his squad or at least should not be .. And with spurs players at club poch should be pushing those plonkers harder by the day .. Pressing team my arse .. He simply does not have the players to make difference and I rate poch very highly indeed .. I hope he can sidestep the bombs and crap results cos a lot are def coming after tonight .

Poch will learn .. He won't be happy with squad when we go two or three games getting battered like yesterday in a row and when pressure is on these spurs boys fall by wayside as is our club off last 40 years .. A few bad results and media pressure and poch will be out door.. No top manager is happy with his squad or at least should not be .. And with spurs players at club poch should be pushing those plonkers harder by the day .. Pressing team my arse .. He simply does not have the players to make difference and I rate poch very highly indeed .. I hope he can sidestep the bombs and crap results cos a lot are def coming after tonight .

What a cunt this geezer is

We realistically could finish 4th if Woolwich, Everton and United continue with the mistakes they're making so far. Not saying we will but it's possible if Pochettino gets us playing well quickly

Woolwich have consistently made top 4 playing poorly v top 5/6 teams but beating smaller teams.

Welbeck is no Falcao but does give scum an option that's pacey and a bit more powerful compared to the usual short, slight options they have in the final third. Worth a punt for them to top up their 3 World Cup winners, new £40m + signing, expensive youngster and FA Cup.....feel sick yet? Can we please just fucking do them this month?!?

anyway, with that I'm out for tonight. Pleasure wasting several hours with you fine gentlemen. Have enjoyed some of the debate.
Am also the proud owner of a few more disagree ratings thanks to one individual. Some people really need to lego. Sorry I mean let go.

night night xx

That's a strawman. You don't have to go out and get a superstar in order to strengthen the squad.

Fighting Illini? Didn't think I'd see a username like that one here. Fellow alumni right here. Welcome to the board.

So the two deals that required extensions are the two deals that seem most mental to me. Neither addresses the actual deficiencies of the clubs, and both Are hilariously expensive.

Which means Welbeck will net 35, Falcao 38, and their clubs will finish second and first.

Food for thought..

He's right but the idea that we'll actually commit to a long term plan is going very much against this ownership group's history. But if they do commit to Pochettino long term then there's nothing wrong with this window.

If it is a case of, if you don't prove you can build a top four squad in one season then you're out, then they are setting him up to failure.

Levy wasn't at fault for any of them not signing iirc.

Musacchio he put in a bid but because of 3rd party rubbish they wanted an absolutely ridiculous fee.
Why would Lovren/Welbeck join us over Liverpool/Woolwich respectively?
Schneiderlin and Rodriguez it was just bad luck that they grew a spine once we were interested.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Levy wasn't at fault for any of them not signing iirc.

Musacchio he put in a bid but because of 3rd party rubbish they wanted an absolutely ridiculous fee.
Why would Lovren/Welbeck join us over Liverpool/Woolwich respectively?
Schneiderlin and Rodriguez it was just bad luck that they grew a spine once we were interested.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

We signed poch start of summer yet we didn't go back in for any of his ex Southampton players who worked with them for years until after they sold half of them elsewhere first .. Where's the sense in that ?? Did we not know Southampton fans , ex players would kick up a stink and media spin on things that would make it awkward for them to sell any more ??? As for third party fair enough but putting in a rock bottom offer that they hum and haw about when we could have thrown a little more at it to get deal done , a little ambition , statement that u really believe n want this player , no ??..why would Lovren join us ?? Am ex manager who signed him in first place , made him better player for one would still be his manager .. And it wasn't like pool came in and got deal done in day was it ? . He kicked up a stink to get move for weeks , what were we doing ? The bottom line here is levy waits for last minute.com and takes the best deal on table . We got lucky with vdv deal yet everyone thinks it's levy time . The guy is a muppet like the other guys in power at spurs .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom