Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting if the reports of getting both Dier and Lascelles are true. Not sure what exactly it would imply for our current CB's (both Daws and Chiriches are being heavily linked with moves away), but despite the fact I like that we're going for youth I can't help but feel it would leave us a bit if exposed if true. Definitely need another senior option with experience IMO if it's true we're shipping both of the above out.

Interesting if the reports of getting both Dier and Lascelles are true. Not sure what exactly it would imply for our current CB's (both Daws and Chiriches are being heavily linked with moves away), but despite the fact I like that we're going for youth I can't help but feel it would leave us a bit if exposed if true. Definitely need another senior option with experience IMO if it's true we're shipping both of the above out.
I think kaboul and vertonghen are enough senior experience

I still think it would be stupid to sell Vlad. He had a few rough games but was a brilliant player on his day. He's still fairly young. I feel like he'll become more consistent as he continues playing more.

I think kaboul and vertonghen are enough senior experience

I hope you're right, but I don't think it's enough for a four-front season, and even believe it to be risky.

Dier has experience in the Portuguese Primeria Liga, so he very well may be ready to do just fine against group stage Europa opponents. Fryers also has experience, so that may be the plan to cover during that period and use that experience to transition to the Prem/cup elimination stages in the Spring.

For me though, I think we need at least three top league experienced players at CB to adequately handle the Prem alone. There will always be injuries, and exhaustion, especially considering we're in the Europa which for biological reasons (circadian rhythm alteration) fucks up the body more than even the Champs League. I don't think two is enough coverage, but if it is what we choose to roll with then I certainly trust the scouting evaluations of the youth players brought in.

Not to be negative and hopefully he totally proves us wrong this year but Lukaku going for 28m when Soldado who is eight years older went for 26m makes Spurs look stupid as fuck.

I still think it would be stupid to sell Vlad. He had a few rough games but was a brilliant player on his day. He's still fairly young. I feel like he'll become more consistent as he continues playing more.

Completely agree. Most surprising sale of the summer IMO if it comes off. Thought Poch would love his style and athleticism.

Not to be negative and hopefully he totally proves us wrong this year but Lukaku going for 28m when Soldado who is eight years older went for 26m makes Spurs look stupid as fuck.

Perhaps, still only 5 goals between them last season.

A worse goal ratio than Remy who would have cost £20m less, so we'll have to wait and see on all accounts

Don't blame you, but to be fair I think the rumors of the boardroom rows between the two clubs hold some serious clout, and there are also reports suggesting that 26 mil we paid for Soldado includes all the add-ons we've yet to achieve. He was also the 4th leading scorer in La Liga the year we bought him, after three of the most valuable human beings on the planet let alone athletes.

I don't believe we ever had a chance at Lukaku, even if his agent did publicly confirm we had expressed interest.

Perhaps, still only 5 goals between them last season.

A worse goal ratio than Remy who would have cost £20m less, so we'll have to wait and see on all accounts

Yeah but 11 league goals separate them, which is what really matters. Soldado's five combined goals in a game where we'd already progressed and against a team from Georgia are meaningless unfortunately.

Yeah but 11 league goals separate them, which is what really matters. Soldado's five combined goals in a game where we'd already progressed and against a team from Georgia are meaningless unfortunately.

I disagree.

I think people undervalue the influence our European games have in terms of attracting new fans, players and sponsors. By this, meaningless is quite harsh.

After all, if Tim wasn't so naive we could have had that cup :walkercry:

Don't blame you, but to be fair I think the rumors of the boardroom rows between the two clubs hold some serious clout, and there are also reports suggesting that 26 mil we paid for Soldado includes all the add-ons we've yet to achieve. He was also the 4th leading scorer in La Liga the year we bought him, after three of the most valuable human beings on the planet let alone athletes.

I don't believe we ever had a chance at Lukaku, even if his agent did publicly confirm we had expressed interest.

I'm not saying we had a real chance at Lukaku. Just that it would appear that Everton have done the much better business. We all talked about it last year with Soldado that he had to hit the ground running due to his age or it would be bad for us. He doesn't have a ton of years left in terms of prime and his sell on value is virtually nonexistent at this point.

Hard to see anyway that Everton don't their money back plus potentially much more in a few years when they have to sell Lukaku. That isn't even taking into account the gulf in on field production between the two last year which is vast. I'm glad Soldado was good in Spain but you don't buy a player based on their past but on how you project their future.

1. Lukaku wasn't available to us - for any amount
2. Soldado was £12m upfront - his poor return so far will mean the bonus related topup payments will be nil so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom