Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really want to like chadli and sometime he looks good, my issue is that he seems best as perhaps a number 10 and he is hardly gonna displace eriksen.
Like siggy I don't think chadli is quick enough as a winger. Maybe try depay?
Yeah, I've seen people say that Poch can make him into a Jay Rod type of player or something, but even though that's encouraging, I'm still on the fence with that.

I feel that while Chadli is technically gifted, I'm not sure how he'll fit in as a winger in Poch's system.
The game slows down when it goes through Chadli, so we'll have to see how that fits into Poch's energetic system. Nevertheless...

I definitely think he deserves another chance and a fresh start (with Poch) with what we went through last season. But I still have a feeling that he's gonna be the new Siggy. We're always gonna have that one winger/player - Siggy, Dempsey, Pienaar, Bentley, etc - useful at their times, but unfortunately for them are going to be the odd ones out.

If not as a winger, maybe (as some suggested) Chadli will be luckier in more of a striker type of role?

Liverpool paying £20M for Lovren. That's a lot of money, don't you think? I mean, I'd have liked him to come to spurs but I'd be a bit upset if we were paying that much for him. He's not that good.
Shaw, for more money even to Utd is also a lot of money but he's an undouted talent who might become exceptional.
Southampton to be fair to them are making a killing on their transfers this summer, fair play to them.

Yeah, I've seen people say that Poch can make him into a Jay Rod type of player or something, but even though that's encouraging, I'm still on the fence with that.

I feel that while Chadli is technically gifted, I'm not sure how he'll fit in as a winger in Poch's system.
The game slows down when it goes through Chadli, so we'll have to see how that fits into Poch's energetic system. Nevertheless...

I definitely think he deserves another chance and a fresh start (with Poch) with what we went through last season. But I still have a feeling that he's gonna be the new Siggy. We're always gonna have that one winger/player - Siggy, Dempsey, Pienaar, Bentley, etc - useful at their times, but unfortunately for them are going to be the odd ones out.

If not as a winger, maybe (as some suggested) Chadli will be luckier in more of a striker type of role?

Agreed that was something pretty noticeable about Chadli. He seems to play slow, but I will say he was one of the few players making runs in a very stagnate offense last season. If he can speed his game up I can see him filling that Jay-Rod role. He's plus in the air too. Let's hope he can find that Newcastle magic and put it together.

Liverpool paying £20M for Lovren. That's a lot of money, don't you think? I mean, I'd have liked him to come to spurs but I'd be a bit upset if we were paying that much for him. He's not that good.
Shaw, for more money even to Utd is also a lot of money but he's an undouted talent who might become exceptional.
Southampton to be fair to them are making a killing on their transfers this summer, fair play to them.

Gotta wonder if Liverpool just has a running tab with Southampton.

Completely agree with your assessment. Even with Belgium I think he slows them down a bit as well. I do think it's a bit contradictory to how Poch runs things. That having been said, I figured Lennon as a traditional winger wouldn't stand a chance under Poch and he did quite well in rotation in the friendly, so as of yet I can't entirely rule Chadli out as a wide forward. I have my doubts and they're why I still think we need another first choice, but I think he can still contribute (as you say yourself).

And you know I agree with you that Chadli would work as a striker :adegrin:

Completely agree with your assessment. Even with Belgium I think he slows them down a bit as well. I do think it's a bit contradictory to how Poch runs things. That having been said, I figured Lennon as a traditional winger wouldn't stand a chance under Poch and he did quite well in rotation in the friendly, so as of yet I can't entirely rule Chadli out as a wide forward. I have my doubts and they're why I still think we need another first choice, but I think he can still contribute (as you say yourself).

And you know I agree with you that Chadli would work as a striker :adegrin:
Lennon really surprised me in that friendly against Toronto.

When we saw Lennon play as an inverted winger (and even on that one occasion as a CAM) during Timmy's (and/or AVB's) tenure, I was plainly angry with his performance. But man, as we saw in that Toronto game, the system plays a huge role in a player's performance.

I think it was you, who said how Lennon's nipping and high work rate could be very useful under Poch's system: Use his speed and what not, to take the ball and give it to Eriksen, Lamela, and Soldado who can do more damage. Yes, it was only one preseason game, but it will be very interesting to see what happens with Lennon. And quite ironically (given that Lennon is frustratingly always like this with a fresh change), this new system may bring out more of Lennon.

I still want him gone rather sooner than later, but if he can turn around his fortune, I'll be more than a happy camper. The LW is still up for grabs. So once again, here's to hoping that this will be Lennon's season...

(Btw, I really really like this prospect of an interchanging, yet fluid front 4 that Poch is implementing.)

Lennon really surprised me in that friendly against Toronto.

When we saw Lennon play as an inverted winger (and even on that one occasion as a CAM) during Timmy's (and/or AVB's) tenure, I was plainly angry with his performance. But man, as we saw in that Toronto game, the system plays a huge role in a player's performance.

I think it was you, who said how Lennon's nipping and high work rate could be very useful under Poch's system: Use his speed and what not, to take the ball and give it to Eriksen, Lamela, and Soldado who can do more damage. Yes, it was only one preseason game, but it will be very interesting to see what happens with Lennon. And quite ironically (given that Lennon is frustratingly always like this with a fresh change), this new system may bring out more of Lennon.

I still want him gone rather sooner than later, but if he can turn around his fortune, I'll be more than a happy camper. The LW is still up for grabs. So once again, here's to hoping that this will be Lennon's season...

(Btw, I really really like this prospect of an interchanging, yet fluid front 4 that Poch is implementing.)

Completely agreed, but for the record that was JDK JDK who pointed that out. I think he's right that could be a very useful asset in Lennon's contribution.

If Lennon stays, and I have to be honest and say, I too would rather see him go sooner rather than latter. But if he dose stay for me he is a 65-75 minute sub at best. When opposition legs are tiring.

If Lennon stays, and I have to be honest and say, I too would rather see him go sooner rather than latter. But if he dose stay for me he is a 65-75 minute sub at best. When opposition legs are tiring.

Same as most on here I'm sure, I've had enough though, he pulls the wool over every manager yet still does very little in terms of assists and goals/end product. Don't think he will learn any new tricks now, he's one of the last of the old guard and his gangsta chav attitude have all worn a bit thin with me now. Time for something different. It's the same as Dawson, I fear if they stay due to our horrendous ability to deal with injuries, I feel both will get considerably more game time than they should

If we don't get an RCB, and if Sandro goes, and if we don't get a left winger etc. I understand this is a discussion based largely on speculation, but it does appear to be unduly negative. And, I suppose, that is understandable too. I think we'll improve this season - not necessarily our league position - but our football and sense of direction.

I get overly pessimistic when I post from work. Sorry.

I don't think that we'll have an abysmal season, but the potential is there.

Hey all, new to the forum. I hope to be here for a long time! I was wondering if you heard about Van Gaal possibly wanting to unload Kagawa. I know we are filled with players who can play central, but if Holtby leaves (and believe me i hope he doesn't), and if we cannot acquire a decent LW, couldn't we play Kagawa central as a "play-maker" and have Eriksen on the left? I would only want to do this if he came at a decent price, but it's something I thought I would throw out there.

Hey all, new to the forum. I hope to be here for a long time! I was wondering if you heard about Van Gaal possibly wanting to unload Kagawa. I know we are filled with players who can play central, but if Holtby leaves (and believe me i hope he doesn't), and if we cannot acquire a decent LW, couldn't we play Kagawa central as a "play-maker" and have Eriksen on the left? I would only want to do this if he came at a decent price, but it's something I thought I would throw out there.

Welcome.

Last I've heard is van Gaal wants to keep him, but I believe that was almost a month ago at this point. Wouldn't be surprised if after actually spending time with the squad, van Gaal has made a more concrete opinion and it's changed.

I personally am rather reluctant to see Erksen primarily played wide as he's not particularly quick and isn't great at defending. Poch does like having a central creative option, and Eriksen is our best option there even were Kagawa a possibility, so I think he'll plan the team around that understanding. I think Kagawa is a bit quicker by my take, so would prefer him on the wing if that were to happen.

All that having been said, crazy as it sounds, I'd much rather bring in Kono over Kagawa if we're still to bring in a left winger this window. Kagawa is quality, but he doesn't really offer something entirely different than what we already have. Kono however, is very different from any of our current options.

I'm sure if Lev were given the options though, he'd at most encourage Poch to grab Kagawa for targeting the Asian market more.

Where does Rodriguez fit from a Spurs' perspective. Is he a left-winger, or does he come in as a striker like he was at Burnley and at times last season?

So now it looks like Woolwich have gotten Callum Chambers and are still after Schneiderlin. I'm going to be infuriated if we get nothing out of Southampton after getting their manager. Our three likely closest rivals in the table have now prospered off their sell off, if we get nothing out of it despite having Pochettino that would be pretty annoying just for the principle of the thing.

Where does Rodriguez fit from a Spurs' perspective. Is he a left-winger, or does he come in as a striker like he was at Burnley and at times last season?

I hope as a striker were it to happen, as he is very much not the kind of left winger I think we need. If that's the type he's looking for, Chadli would do just fine compared to a player who's just torn his ACL not long ago.

So now it looks like Woolwich have gotten Callum Chambers and are still after Schneiderlin. I'm going to be infuriated if we get nothing out of Southampton after getting their manager. Our three likely closest rivals in the table have now prospered off their sell off, if we get nothing out of it despite having Pochettino that would be pretty annoying just for the principle of the thing.
Was always dubious they would just let their players follow Pochettino who they wanted to keep?
Why reward him for leaving them? human nature says otherwise!
It is going to get more difficult because they have a pocket full of cash and Levy always has to squeeze the last drop!
Sometimes to the good other times to detriment of the club (Moutinho!)

I think we've seen from the friendlies that constraining any of the three behind the striker with a singular position doesn't tell the whole story considering how much interchanging occurs. But yeah Rodriguez would nominally be a LW.

I like Rodriguez a lot but buying the one crocked Southampton player would just be too Spursy to bear.

Was always dubious they would just let their players follow Pochettino who they wanted to keep?
Why reward him for leaving them? human nature says otherwise!
It is going to get more difficult because they have a pocket full of cash and Levy always has to squeeze the last drop!
Sometimes to the good other times to detriment of the club (Moutinho!)

You think they really give a shit? They aren't even trying to keep players at this point. It's a fire sale.

I hope as a striker were it to happen, as he is very much not the kind of left winger I think we need. If that's the type he's looking for, Chadli would do just fine compared to a player who's just torn his ACL not long ago.

Why wouldn't he be the type of LW we need (besides being injured)? He was just the leading scorer in our manager's last team.

Wow! Shocked to see Chambers on the move now too. Gutted for Saints fans

If Saints can get 16 mill for Chambers, the 27 for Schneiderlin makes sense

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom