Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now you're making me feel just plain ignorant. :paulinholol:
Ok ... let's just assume I mean "Spanish speaking boys". :pochsmirk:

:adegrin:
portuguese.jpg

Best let Nicholson 61 take this one
Gladly! And Thank You!
I,ll be brief, because I have to! Because I actually don't know that much about him, except, I know what I like when I see it. As they say (or something similar) in Yorkshire, where Stone originates from. This boy for me, if there is any truth in these reports would be a fantastic investment for us. Even at 25+mill! 6'2, quick and at 20-21? years of age mature (playing wise) beyond his years. CB is his preferred position, but equally comfortable at RB. So Great cover for Walker too. Tenacious in the tackle, dominant in the air. Decent on the ball. Decent distribution, not Ferdinand-esk yet, but that will come. This lad will be an England regular before The Euro's and will obviously be a major player in them and beyond. My only reservation, should he come, would be to much, to soon! By that I mean he only signed for Everton in 2013. If he were to arrive at The Lane, I,d have the confidence, he would settle quite quickly, because this boy seems a natural. However, I,d now like to see Daws retained for another season, just to settle him in! I appreciate, they would not be regular partnership, but I think Daws would help him settle quicker.

I,d love to see him in The Lilywhite.

COYS!!

Ps, Not that brief!

Gladly! And Thank You!
I,ll be brief, because I have to! Because I actually don't know that much about him, except, I know what I like when I see it. As they say (or something similar) in Yorkshire, where Stone originates from. This boy for me, if there is any truth in these reports would be a fantastic investment for us. Even at 25+mill! 6'2, quick and at 20-21? years of age mature (playing wise) beyond his years. CB is his preferred position, but equally comfortable at RB. So Great cover for Walker too. Tenacious in the tackle, dominant in the air. Decent on the ball. Decent distribution, not Ferdinand-esk yet, but that will come. This lad will be an England regular before The Euro's and will obviously be a major player in them and beyond. My only reservation, should he come, would be to much, to soon! By that I mean he only signed for Everton in 2013. If he were to arrive at The Lane, I,d have the confidence, he would settle quite quickly, because this boy seems a natural. However, I,d now like to see Daws retained for another season, just to settle him in! I appreciate, they would not be regular partnership, but I think Daws would help him settle quicker.

I,d love to see him in The Lilywhite.

COYS!!

Ps, Not that brief!
I can never take anything you say seriously with all your exclamation points and your COYS!!!1! at the end of almost every single post of yours. Drives me crazy.

In all seriousness though, 25 mil or much cheaper would get you some of the best young center backs in the world like Kurt Zouma, Kyriakos Popadopoulous, Inigo Martinez, De Vrij or Stefan Savic, or even a very good, established CB like Lovren or Howedes. Buying Stones over one of them for that much would be madness.

I must admit I'm concerned about our lack of activity in regards to the back line. It goes without saying that the LB situation was abysmal last year and since Davies the news has mostly gone cold on a potential signing for that spot. I like Rose a lot as cover, but we simply need someone better to be first choice.

Our CB situation is almost equally troubling. We are supposedly trying to sell Dawson and while Vertonghen, Chiriches, and Kaboul are all good options those three are all coming off injury ridden campaigns. Kaboul's health in particularly is not reliable whatsoever. We haven't really been seriously linked to anyone since Lovren. Not buying 1-2 CBs would be a serious gamble especially if Dawson leaves.

So what are we going to do here? I like Marcos Rojo as a LB, he seems gettable. I have no idea who is feasible at CB though.

I must admit I'm concerned about our lack of activity in regards to the back line. It goes without saying that the LB situation was abysmal last year and since Davies the news has mostly gone cold on a potential signing for that spot. I like Rose a lot as cover, but we simply need someone better to be first choice.

Our CB situation is almost equally troubling. We are supposedly trying to sell Dawson and while Vertonghen, Chiriches, and Kaboul are all good options those three are all coming off injury ridden campaigns. Kaboul's health in particularly is not reliable whatsoever. We haven't really been seriously linked to anyone since Lovren. Not buying 1-2 CBs would be a serious gamble especially if Dawson leaves.

So what are we going to do here? I like Marcos Rojo as a LB, he seems gettable. I have no idea who is feasible at CB though.

Levy can be very strong but he can also be sometimes to cautious or to concerned with getting the right price, the past few seasons our forward line has been average at best and the remedies for it have not come.

For me we need a out and out prem goal machine bony and remy come to mind and as you say a left back otherwise poch will have average strikers and defensive weaknesses which our rivals do not have putting us at a severe disadvantage.

I would sell 3-4 players we don't need and do everything to buy Davies and bony.

I can never take anything you say seriously with all your exclamation points and your COYS!!!1! at the end of almost every single post of yours. Drives me crazy.

In all seriousness though, 25 mil or much cheaper would get you some of the best young center backs in the world like Kurt Zouma, Kyriakos Popadopoulous, Inigo Martinez, De Vrij or Stefan Savic, or even a very good, established CB like Lovren or Howedes. Buying Stones over one of them for that much would be madness.
Apologies Headmaster!
I understand your point but for me Stones is versatile, equally comfortable at CB/RB. Homegrown and at 20 years of age, a great investment. And its these attributes, that will see Everton reluctant to sell in the first place and dig in for the maximum (25mill imo) if they have too!

COYS!!:adesalute::adethumbup::adegrin:

Ron, 'Concrete', Vlaar!? He had a fantastic tournament, one of the best performances of the WC imo. Looked better than he really is because of the way we played, with 5 at the back. No option for us i think, not fast enough and makes more mistakes with 4 at the back.

Stefan de Vrij is a better shout. He as well had a fantastic tournament, played better and better as the WC progressed. Young, great ball playing CB, decent physique with a bit of training even stronger and impressive, and lots of potential. Shouldn't be too expensive either. Not the finished article we might need, but one we should definitely consider.

Also, Virgil van Dijk could be an option. Can't really give a lot information on him. He is strong though, has good footballing qualities and can score a goal. Van Gaal didn't rate him highly enough to be in the WC squad, so might not be that good.

These are just some Dutch options, should be plenty CB's that could benefit us.

Top class.

Should have gone to the WC.

Highly unlikely. Would be a dream signing though.

Dream signing? IMO the last thing our back line needs are more kids.

We need some leadership, experience and someone(s) cohesive. We had one of the youngest staring 11 averages in the league last season and we are being linked with a lot of young players in defense.

Young defenders with no/short prem careers let us down last season (Rose, Vlad, Naughton etc) and it seemed to impact players who have shown form like Jan and Walker who had more than a few wobbles.

IMO it's time for lev to lose some money on wages. The last time we did this we took a step forward with Davids etc. it took us over the hump of midtable to sniffing around 4th Europa and I think we need the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom