Spurs player called up to England Squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm guessing these players are in the under 21's to a certain extent to ensure England's U21's qualify. I mean Kane and Dier must certainly be near the England squad by now.

You are joking right?

2 games into his top flight career you are suggesting he is only not being picked for the full squad due to ensuring the U21's qualify?!?!

Get a grip guys, I am as positive about his and our start as the next man but he has only played against a very poor QPR and Wet Spam. I agree he was excellent in both but to suggest he is a shoe-in at international level is an amazing insult to the national team and far more experienced players.

I'm expecting him to play a lot less as the season develops, with Chiriches, Fazio, Naughton and Walker all preferred when fit.

Let the lad get on with his development, he is no doubt talented, don't build him up to be something he ain't. (yet)

You are joking right?

2 games into his top flight career you are suggesting he is only not being picked for the full squad due to ensuring the U21's qualify?!?!

Get a grip guys, I am as positive about his and our start as the next man but he has only played against a very poor QPR and Wet Spam. I agree he was excellent in both but to suggest he is a shoe-in at international level is an amazing insult to the national team and far more experienced players.

I'm expecting him to play a lot less as the season develops, with Chiriches, Fazio, Naughton and Walker all preferred when fit.

Let the lad get on with his development, he is no doubt talented, don't build him up to be something he ain't. (yet)
I meant near this squad of England players. Look at it, a lot of the players on that team are very, very inexperienced.

You are joking right?

Making a lot of sense till that clanger dropped in.

I meant near this squad of England players. Look at it, a lot of the players on that team are very, very inexperienced.
Fair enough. I do think he could develop into a future international but not until he has at least proved himself against better players. I am also very happy with what I've seen so far.
:adebaehug:

Making a lot of sense till that clanger dropped in.
I don't rate Naughton, however if we keep him then I am sure he will start over Dier as a right back after the initial buzz around him wears down.

Its not like his is going to score every week...

:dier: "He scores when he wants........"

It's also game time and Prem bias. Dier has by all accounts looked great in Portugal but England managers tend to only judge players in out league particularly if they are not too experienced.

From what I have seen of Dier in pre-season and the last two games, he has talent to burn both defensively and offensively, he might have talent way beyond Walker and Johnson (the current England right backs when fit) in the RB spot alone but I get the feeling they want to see more of him first.

My instincts are that he is going to be a special player (even excluding his two goals) but I understand the hesistation. If half a seasons time he is MOTM every game or two I reckon he will then get the call.

I don't rate Naughton, however if we keep him then I am sure he will start over Dier as a right back after the initial buzz around him wears down.

Its not like his is going to score every week...

:dier: "He scores when he wants........"

Every time Naughton gets on the pitch I worry, I have seen more of Dier in the last few games from an ability perspective than I ever have from Naughton. Their is the experience issue but ability also comes in to it, I really don't rate Naughton as a Spurs level player.

Every time Naughton gets on the pitch I worry, I have seen more of Dier in the last few games from an ability perspective than I ever have from Naughton. Their is the experience issue but ability also comes in to it, I really don't rate Naughton as a Spurs level player.
I agree that Naughton has become a bit of a liability over the last year and has regressed since returning from Norwich, but RB isn't Dier's natural position. True he can play there and play well, however he hasn't been tested against a winger yet. Traore is absolute gash, barely started for QPR as a winger last season, they actually use him as more of a wingback/defensive cover and Wet Spam effectively played without a left winger/formation on the opening day!

He reminds me on an Ivanovic type full back, basically a CB converted and if he progressed that way I'd be over the moon because you'd have more strength and height at the back, however I think he will provide cover at CB in reality.

Again though, I am not knocking the lad, I believe he is a steal at 4 million and if we protect and nurture his potential then we may have a English, ball-playing, cultured CB who could be International class.

I've only been here around a month and obviously can only comment from that timeframe but since the start of the season the general attitude on the forum towards Rose has been predominantly positive, the performance against QPR was probably the finest he has played in a long time and arguably his best since his debut.

Glad he has been called up, hope it does wonders for his confidence.

This forum appreciates Rose. As do I.

Going on the Tottenham post of his new 5 year deal, a fair chunk of our fanbase does not.

You are joking right?

He's played 18 games in the Junior England teams, he's 21 in january - so pretty much the same development levels as Walker when he first played for England.
Plus-
Rose got in the full squad, which undermines your point entirely.
I doubt Naughton or Chiriches would be preferred when available, and if he keeps his performance levels up - I can see walker struggling as well.
In fact, if Fazio's half decent - I can see an argument for us playing with a 3 man back line in a 352 and running walker out as a wing back on the right.

Rooney was a full international when he was about 7 years old, so basically if you're good enough, you're old enough.

There was a point in time about 3/4 years ago when you'd start a new FM game and immediately loan out Rose and Townsend (who both played left midfield exclusively) knowing that they'd never become PL material in the game. If you'd told me then that they'd be the only two Spurs players picked in an England squad, neither of them playing left midfield I would've said you were daft.

Anyone know when Hodgson announces the squad?

I would think Kane, Mason, Dier, Walker, Rose and possibly even Townsend are in with a decent chance.

Anyone know when Hodgson announces the squad?

I would think Kane, Mason, Dier, Walker, Rose and possibly even Townsend are in with a decent chance.
I'd say Townsend will get in due to saving Roy's job getting them to the WC. Kane surely. If Baines is still injured Rose might get a call up. Walker will be named but Clyne will play. Dier and Mason I don't think will get a look in this time

I'd say Townsend will get in due to saving Roy's job getting them to the WC. Kane surely. If Baines is still injured Rose might get a call up. Walker will be named but Clyne will play. Dier and Mason I don't think will get a look in this time

Hodgson has spoken very highly of Mason on several occasions, and we know that he's a player that a lot of ex-pro's such as Henry, Scholes, Gary Neville and a few others really appreciate. I think he's the type of player that footballing persons appreciate a bit more than your average fan. A Owen Hargeaves type of player in a squad.

Dier is a long-shot but he's been better than both Stones and Chambers by some distance this season.

Based on performance I think Kane, Mason, Dier, Walker and Rose deserve a call but I think Mason and Dier will miss out with Townsend possibly getting the gig.

Hodgson has spoken very highly of Mason on several occasions, and we know that he's a player that a lot of ex-pro's such as Henry, Scholes, Gary Neville and a few others really appreciate. I think he's the type of player that footballing persons appreciate a bit more than your average fan. A Owen Hargeaves type of player in a squad.

Dier is a long-shot but he's been better than both Stones and Chambers by some distance this season.

Big fan of Stones, think he is the most gifted young centre back in the prem but struggled with injuries a lot this season which may count against him. Chambers has not been great but not paid to much attention to him as he plays for the arse.

Just did a quick search of the last couple of England squads and saw what midfielders actually got picked! Fabian bloody Delph, Barkley, Downing? Mason is a shoe in.

Back
Top Bottom