Southampton (A) - 28th Dec

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

-------------------------Lloris-------------------------
------Alderweireld---Dier----Vertonghen----
Walker--------------------------------------------Rose
------------------------Wanyama----------------------
----------------Sissoko--------Eriksen---------------
-------------------------Alli-------------------------------
--------------------------------Kane---------------------

Subs: Vorm, Davies, Trippier, Dembele, Winks, Son, Janssen

[formation=4231, Lloris, Walker, Alderwiereld, Vertonghen, Rose, Dier, Dembele, Sissoko, Eriksen, Son, Kane][/formation]

[formation=352, Lloris, Dier, Toby, Verts, Walker, Winks, Waynama, Eriksen, Rose, Alli, Kane][/formation]

Rest Dembele at least for the start and play Alli in behind Kane.

I honestly can't see us getting anything from the game. I believe there is little discipline and commitment amongst the players, and as a result most of them are now going to be hung over and a stone over weight. Saints 2-0 Spurs

I honestly can't see us getting anything from the game. I believe there is little discipline and commitment amongst the players, and as a result most of them are now going to be hung over and a stone over weight. Saints 2-0 Spurs
tumblr_nsmxfqI3bd1qkko3bo1_400.gif

Why is this game so bloody far away :pochunimpressed:
D'ya know... part of me is glad we don't have a Boxing Day match (apart from the enforced 'recovery' time) ...remember, a LOT more hinges on Boxing Day games than just the tradition of playing them on a particular day.
They can make-or-break a Christmas, if not a season, what with the *SSN cliche alert * games coming so thick and fast!

If you happen to lose, not only does it ruin the day after Christmas... you also have to 'try' and be in a good mood when you get in, 'cos you're still trying to explain to the rest of the Family where you've been for the past 4-5 hours, and why you've now come back even drunker than when you left, and in a foul mood!

...and if you don't manage to be one of the lucky 'ballot winners' who actually get to the game, then trying to follow the score updates in between playing Ker-Plunk or Twister with the Family, or having to watch Frozen with one eye on LiveScore is nigh on impossible!! (can you tell I've been here before?)

...nah, keep yer Boxing Day fixtures for the rest to worry over... I'll see you on the 28th, when normality has resumed!

Really can't afford to drop points.

Man Utd are really picking up steam, unbeaten now since October.
Chelsea 12 wins in a row with just 2 goals conceded. 13 points clear of us.
Liverpool and Man City both likely to win and pull away from us.

1-1. davis for them. & a kane equaliser!
a draw is a decent result away to a good saints team.

1-1. davis for them. & a kane equaliser!
a draw is a decent result away to a good saints team.
Yeah it is, but it's not good enough if we want to be in touch with the ones above us. A win puts us a point off 4th, if City and Liverpool win.
If city by some miracle lose 1-0 we could actually move into it.
I believe we are not going to be good enough for it this year, maybe even finish 6th.
Hope they prove me wrong and we find top form and pick up 19 points or more from the next 7 games before we face the liver birds

Yeah it is, but it's not good enough if we want to be in touch with the ones above us. A win puts us a point off 4th, if City and Liverpool win.
If city by some miracle lose 1-0 we could actually move into it.
If we have to regularly win away games to teams like southampton to get top 4 then I am afraid I can't see us doing it. I do get what you are saying though.
On the 1 hand a draw away to southampton is decent. But on the other hand we really need a win to keep in touch with the top 4.
I don't think we will treat it like a must win game. If we are drawing towards the end of the match then I reckon poch will settle for a point. Especially considering he is a very defensive manager.

The highest ranked team we have beaten away is stoke in 12th.
& the only other away win was against boro.
So we very rarely win away from home. You have to go back to september for an away win. So the safe bet is a draw!

I reckon we will finish between 4th-6th. Most likely 5th or 6th.

Last edited:
Point away at Southampton can usually be considered a good point but our record away at St. Marys is usually pretty damn good to be honest.

Last 4 away games at St Marys:
3 wins
1 draw

We haven't lost away at St. Marys since 2005. Obviously for about 7 years or so they weren't in the top flight but I think we should have more than enough to beat them. They have beat us ONCE in our last 8 meetings (that one win coming at the back end of last season).

Austin being injured is big. He's the only one I'd be worried about. I imagine there line up will be similar to this:

Forster
Cedric - Fonte - van Dijk - Betrand
Romelu
Ward-Prowse - Davis
Boufal - Rodriguez - Redmond
It's a pretty strong line up. Defensively very sound as shown this season and the whole calendar year in fact. Solid in midfield with work horse Davis and the ever impressive Romeu. Attack is a real threat, Redmond has pace, Boufal has the guile and Rodriguez the composure.

However, I just think we'll be better on the day. Our back five is one of the best in the league and certainly shown to be the most consistent over the calendar year. I think this game is going to be won by whoever wins midfield. I remember last year at St. Marys, we BOSSED them in midfield, one of Dembele's best performances in a Spurs shirt where he DOMINATED Wanyama all game, Kane and Alli both scored before half time and the game was dead.

If we have to regularly win away games to teams like southampton to get top 4 then I am afraid I can't see us doing it. I do get what you are saying though.
On the 1 hand a draw away to southampton is decent. But on the other hand we really need a win to keep in touch with the top 4.
I don't think we will treat it like a must win game. If we are drawing towards the end of the match then I reckon poch will settle for a point. Especially considering he is a very defensive manager.

The highest ranked team we have beaten away is stoke in 12th.
& the only other away win was against boro.
So we very rarely win away from home. You have to go back to september for an away win. So the safe bet is a draw!

I reckon we will finish between 4th-6th. Most likely 5th or 6th.
In fact our away form last season was the best bar LCFC who won 11 drew 6 and lost 2
We won 9 drew 7 and lost 3..
Our away form would have seen us finish 3 points above the scum.
However our home form was the 5th best, winning 10 drawing 6 and losing 3.
It's all about improving and last year after 8 away games we had won 3 drawn 4 and lost one.
This year we have won 2 drawn 4 and lost 2.
At home last season after 9: won 4 drawn 4 lost 1
This season won 7 drawn 2 lost none
So our home form is better, we are top of the league on home form(scoring 4 more goals and conceding 2 less than last) but away we have lost one more(scoring 3 less goals but conceding the same)
Can't afford to lose or draw to Southampton or Watford away as away form is where we may suffer this year and means we have to go to places like eithad, anfield and not afford to draw.
if we keep our home form and improve or equal last years we will probably finish top 4.
I honestly don't think we will get top 4 though

Some pessimism is healthy, I totally get that.

Look on the bright side though - there could be some opposition fan forums talking about us, saying:

"Fucking hell, Spurs are right up our arses and haven't even played well this season. I hope they don't wake up anytime soon."

Back
Top Bottom