Race for top 4 still on?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There probably is, but then, there's also an argument that the Queen is an alien lizard apparently.

I think we'd be better off in the Champions League next year.
Also, Tottenham Hotspur in the champions league would mean one of the other, Repulsive, Disgusting, Cuntish teams and that seem to have an annual season ticket for the competition missing out at our expense. It has to be worth it for that on its own, surely

Last edited:
Although I would obviously love it if we somehow pulled off the impossible and got fourth...
I wonder if there's an argument that it would be better for us NOT to be in the CL next year. I really think this current squad is significantly worse than the squad we had when we were last in it, and I think we would struggle massively balancing it with league games. There is the chance that we could improve the squad in the summer but then again Levy has already said we won't spend big...I doubt he would change his mind due to us being in the CL. It may mean that the one big signing we make is a much better one, but then again would it necessarily? They're still more likely to go to Man City- who are likely to be in the CL for the following 5 seasons even if they miss out this once- and who pay more money.

I suppose financially it would be very good for us to be in it even for one season, but how much of that would actually be directed towards the team?

I'm playing devil's advocate here to some extent...it would still obviously be very exciting to be in the CL.
Good post. I have been saying for ages, I don't know why our fan base have this infatuation for qualifying for CL. Is it exciting? Hell yes However, aside from the one season flux of cash it will have little effect over our long term growth. We still would lose out on players who are offered more money from richer clubs, and possibly lose our star players to "the real big fish" in world football. We genuinely have no chance of winning it and the next season it is back to the same scrapping among 6 other clubs who are going to spend more money than us.

Don't get me wrong I would rather us finish 4th than 5th or 6th but I don't agree with scrapping all other competitions to "go for CL". It's very difficult to do and this facade that getting 4th will somehow turn us into a superpower is so far gone. We already did it once mind you, it was fun but did it really change much? just food for thought.

Good post. I have been saying for ages, I don't know why our fan base have this infatuation for qualifying for CL. Is it exciting? Hell yes ...
We already did it once mind you, it was fun but did it really change much? just food for thought.
If those Milan games last time round didn't float your boat I really wonder what it is that you are waiting to happen.

There probably is, but then, there's also an argument that the Queen is an alien lizard apparently.

I think we'd be better off in the Champions League next year.
You're probably right, I was throwing the idea out there more than anything else. But I think it would be even better to qualify if/when we have a better squad. Our squad is quite shit at the moment and I think we've been quite lucky this season even to be where we are, lots of games could have gone against us.

You're probably right, I was throwing the idea out there more than anything else. But I think it would be even better to qualify if/when we have a better squad. Our squad is quite shit at the moment and I think we've been quite lucky this season even to be where we are, lots of games could have gone against us.
Oh I totally agree. As someone mentioned earlier, had Kane not massively overachieved we'd be in the shit.

However, aside from the one season flux of cash it will have little effect over our long term growth.

It could pay off 10% of our stadium in one year...

and possibly lose our star players to "the real big fish" in world football.

I don't think this is true. Being in the Champions League is a prestigious accomplishment. It's a vanity tournament that improves player morale and makes them want to stay.

Although I would obviously love it if we somehow pulled off the impossible and got fourth...
I wonder if there's an argument that it would be better for us NOT to be in the CL next year. I really think this current squad is significantly worse than the squad we had when we were last in it, and I think we would struggle massively balancing it with league games. There is the chance that we could improve the squad in the summer but then again Levy has already said we won't spend big...I doubt he would change his mind due to us being in the CL. It may mean that the one big signing we make is a much better one, but then again would it necessarily? They're still more likely to go to Man City- who are likely to be in the CL for the following 5 seasons even if they miss out this once- and who pay more money.

I suppose financially it would be very good for us to be in it even for one season, but how much of that would actually be directed towards the team?

I'm playing devil's advocate here to some extent...it would still obviously be very exciting to be in the CL.
palmers_green_yid palmers_green_yid come of it you have an alteria motive for posting this. You love the Europa League it give you a chance to spread the spurs Gospel in far off post Soviet enclaves where you meet up with huddled families break bread and drink fermented yaks yogurt.

We love you for it the forum's travelling ambassador. Hope you are well.

palmers_green_yid palmers_green_yid come of it you have an alteria motive for posting this. You love the Europa League it give you a chance to spread the spurs Gospel in far off post Soviet enclaves where you meet up with huddled families break bread and drink fermented yaks yogurt.

We love you for it the forum's travelling ambassador. Hope you are well.
You got me. I've always said that one of the benefits of the Europa League is that the destinations involved are more interesting! Definitely planning another trip next season. Yes I'm well mate and hope you are too.

It could pay off 10% of our stadium in one year...

I don't think this is true. Being in the Champions League is a prestigious accomplishment. It's a vanity tournament that improves player morale and makes them want to stay.

I'm just being realistic. until we get our new stadium we are competing with 5 other clubs who have considerably more cash than us. I would much rather go all out for all the cup competitions we are in. Look at Villa in FA Cup Final and we basically voluntarily bowed out of the competition

Everton 2-0 ahead against United and it makes me feel more cringe about our shitty results against Burnley and Villa. Had we won both of these matches, we would have been just two points behind United. We still have to play City on WHL, Stoke, Hull and Everton (D, W, W, D), while United will have to past a tough West Brom, Palace, Woolwich and relegation threatened Hull City (D, D, D, W) in the last match of the season. We could have fought till the last day of the season at least.

Everton 2-0 ahead against United and it makes me feel more cringe about our shitty results against Burnley and Villa. Had we won both of these matches, we would have been just two points behind United. We still have to play City on WHL, Stoke, Hull and Everton (D, W, W, D), while United will have to past a tough West Brom, Palace, Woolwich and relegation threatened Hull City (D, D, D, W) in the last match of the season. We could have fought till the last day of the season at least.
Yeah, we can apply the same vs City because of their form in the last couple of games.

That's pretty much the story of our (Spurs) life ... season after season.
It's frustrating. We really need to get that second wind mentality to not wane off towards the end of the season. And funny enough, it always seem to start happening after we just won a big game.

Our best is very good, but inconsistency kills us season after season.
Top 4 teams play at 8 out of 10 every week with maybe 1 'mare a season. We go 7/10, 9, 4, 7, 5, 9, 8, 3 ...

Incredibly frustrating, because to me it looks like, since losing to United, the players either have not been trying their best, or have been knackered. Either thing is a serious problem that needs sorting out.

I can't believe there is a discussion going on as to whether we would like to be in the Champions League next season.

We're a strange, fickle, picky, nutty fucking bunch aren't we.

There is NO justification for not wanting to be in the CL. We could have Aldershot's squad, I'd still want to be in it.

Are we going to win it? No. But I bet our players will give an extra 20-30% playing Atletico than they do playing Asteras. Mentally, the difference is substantial for players. It would bring the best out of our team.

I can't believe there is a discussion going on as to whether we would like to be in the Champions League next season.

We're a strange, fickle, picky, nutty fucking bunch aren't we.

There is NO justification for not wanting to be in the CL. We could have Aldershot's squad, I'd still want to be in it.

Are we going to win it? No. But I bet our players will give an extra 20-30% playing Atletico than they do playing Asteras. Mentally, the difference is substantial for players. It would bring the best out of our team.

The run we had against the Milan's then Real Madrid was so much fun, love to be back in it. Even if it means Barca giving us a 5-0 thrashing. More players will want to come to us as well.

The run we had against the Milan's then Real Madrid was so much fun, love to be back in it. Even if it means Barca giving us a 5-0 thrashing. More players will want to come to us as well.
Quite. We have to be fucking in it consistently to ever be anywhere near winning the bloody thing. The odd season here and there isn't going to help. This squad right now won't win it - of course bloody not - but with qualification comes more money, more exposure, higher wage thresholds, better players, and it spirals from there.

For me it's the same with EL qualification. We're FAR better off being in it than not. Sure - we might mount a better top 4 run - but what if we fail and finish 5th? Then we've had a season out of Europe, and simply qualified for the EL again! Which is highly likely given the strength of clubs around us.

I stand by what I've always said. To win the Europa League would be a monumental achievement for our club in modern day football, and that should be our aim every season, above all else.

Our best is very good, but inconsistency kills us season after season.
Top 4 teams play at 8 out of 10 every week with maybe 1 'mare a season. We go 7/10, 9, 4, 7, 5, 9, 8, 3 ...
We're consistently shit for long periods with the odd good performance.

We're consistently shit for long periods with the odd good performance.
Could say the same with every club above us this season:
Chelsea = great until we smashed them, ever since then they have been backs to the wall
Manure = Shit all season, until they played us.
Scum = Almost as many last minute goals to save face as us. Their best performance was against Citeh which given how they have played this year isn't much to bounce up and down about.
Citeh = Nothing like the levels we have seen the last couple of seasons from them, they have been comprehensively beaten by several teams this year.
Pool = Their worst start to top fight football in 100yrs, they have mirrored us, think they have played well no more than 4 games all season.

I think the quality of football this year has been very poor. I don't know the reason for this, may be the World Cup had some baring as players missed a chance of pre-season or returned to pre-season fatigued, who knows?

Back
Top Bottom