Race for top 4 still on?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Could say the same with every club above us this season:
Chelsea = great until we smashed them, ever since then they have been backs to the wall
Manure = Shit all season, until they played us.
Scum = Almost as many last minute goals to save face as us. Their best performance was against Citeh which given how they have played this year isn't much to bounce up and down about.
Citeh = Nothing like the levels we have seen the last couple of seasons from them, they have been comprehensively beaten by several teams this year.
Pool = Their worst start to top fight football in 100yrs, they have mirrored us, think they have played well no more than 4 games all season.

I think the quality of football this year has been very poor. I don't know the reason for this, may be the World Cup had some baring as players missed a chance of pre-season or returned to pre-season fatigued, who knows?

The old Fergie teams with Scholes, Keane, Giggs and Beckham would have destroyed this mob easily. Sad it feels like a decline.

While I'm still enthusiastic about trying to finish 5th and being above Liverpool and Southampton, the run-in of games we have means without half decent performances, we'll end up 7th.

I know most people seem to have given up on the season now but to me there's a big enough difference between 5th and 7th in terms of pride and prestige that it's worth fighting for the whole twelve points.

I think long term yes...but next season out of it would be a massive blessing IMO
I'd be interested to know why.

What would your plan - or your expectation - be for the next few seasons if we were to miss out on EL this year?

It's hardly going to be a spring board to consistent CL qualification, so I'm not sure what a season outside of the EL will achieve for the club. Backwards step, for me.

I'd be interested to know why.

What would your plan - or your expectation - be for the next few seasons if we were to miss out on EL this year?

It's hardly going to be a spring board to consistent CL qualification, so I'm not sure what a season outside of the EL will achieve for the club. Backwards step, for me.
I couldn't agree more. If our ultimate goal is to play in the Champions League wouldn't you want us used to playing two games in a week? There is no difference to playing Thursday/Sunday as opposed to Wednesday/Saturday

Secondly, it is a great way to utilise squad players. Kane probably wouldn't have gotten his chance if we were not in the EL this season. Not only him but it keeps our reserve players match fit for when we would need them to an injury to one of our starters. It could prove invaluable to players like Yedlin, Pritchard, Luongo, Onomah or whoever else is making the step up next season.

Lastly, it has that carrot of winning a trophy and CL sport dangling at the end of it. As I have posted before with the current financial situation of clubs at the top end of the table it will be very difficult for us to qualify through league finish.

Ironic how all these uber-fans don't want to be in the Europa League but keep moaning Poch is a useless twat for not making 4th / CL

Plastics much?

:townhmm:

I dont give a fuck about top 4, CL or anything like that if it means giving up on other competitions we could (should?) be winning. Silverware is where its at and this CL lie that keeps the gooners happy is not what we should be aiming for, nobody cares about reaching the 1/4 finals of the CL for x years in a row.

the games you remember, the cup runs you'll tell your children about are the ones where you achieved glory by winning or felt the evil sting of defeat after the ultimate game.

I dont give a fuck about top 4, CL or anything like that if it means giving up on other competitions we could (should?) be winning. Silverware is where its at and this CL lie that keeps the gooners happy is not what we should be aiming for, nobody cares about reaching the 1/4 finals of the CL for x years in a row.

the games you remember, the cup runs you'll tell your children about are the ones where you achieved glory by winning or felt the evil sting of defeat after the ultimate game.
If anything - our CL cameo brought in a new level of cunt in terms of fans along with a completely inflated / unrealistic level of expectations. The cock-sockets moaning at Poch for not finishing 4th this season - get a fucking grip or go support Chelsea. Preferably both. Our problems lie with ENIC if anything.

Last edited:

i will alyas tell my grandchild how we once got to the last eight of CL only to get humiliated by real madrid, but still.. last eight maggots.

my gravestone will say "2010/11 last eight"

:adethumbup:

How can people not want EL? It was a big event when we qualified for EL 8-9 seasons ago. That we have been in Europe every year since is quite impressive, but no one seems to speak about it. Alas.

If anything - our CL cameo brought in a new level of cunt in terms of fans along with a completely inflated / unrealistic level of expectations. The cock-sockets moaning at Poch for not finishing 4th this season - get a fucking grip or go support Chelsea. Preferably both. Our problems like with ENIC if anything.

It brought us fans, which is a good thing as it will help us evolve but you are spot on about the level of expectations, achieving 4 th is something we have only managed twice in 20 league seasons so it should be a goal to at least try and get to that level again but nowadays a part of our fanbase seems to consider not getting (at least) 4 th as a huge failure.

Yes we screwed it up and we are stagnating but we have at least regained some of our former glory and we need a game plan and stability to take that extra step or at least create the conditions to be able to achieve it.

and even then people would be angry because we are only challenging for fourth and not for the title.

But dont get me wrong , i absolutely loved our CL campaign and the feeling to be back amongst the big boys but we have to live with the fact that the EPL makes us powerfull and rich but unfortunately that also goes for the 4-5 teams that are in front of us atm.

A club with the budget of Spurs would be CL guaranteed anywhere else.

I think you missed the joke
you have no idea how much i miss :levystare:

a boring intro or more than two lines of text and i dont even bother to read, so i can't really say i know whats going on.

in 21 minutes, i can go home from hell, so no hard feelings right ? :pochwtf:

Back
Top Bottom