Race for top 4 still on?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With City beating West Ham they will have 10 points on us before our game with 5 games to play for them and 6 for us. This will be close, I think we'll have to wait for the last day of the season before we pass them and get 4th.

Three straight losses for City and we'll do it! :freundgoal:
8dZZTx6.gif

its a race for 5th with pool & the saints. i think all 3 will drop a lot more pts. 5th will be a great finish for pochs first season. shame the performances havent been as impressive.

We will have to win ALL our remaining games to get top 4. Unfortunately, IMHO, we will not beat Southampton, Man City, Stoke or Everton.

I think we will do the following against those:

Draw against Southampton
Lose against Citeh (coz they have to come good at some point, and it will be against us, fo'sho
Win against Stoke
Win against Everton (well probably not but that's what I'm going with)
)

I think we will do the following against those:

Draw against Southampton
Lose against Citeh (coz they have to come good at some point, and it will be against us, fo'sho
Win against Stoke
Win against Everton (well probably not but that's what I'm going with)
)

I think.....

Lose to Southampton - Because they will be well up for the return of Poch and they lost the week-end
Draw with Citeh - Because we raise our game against the top 4
Lose to Stoke - Because they have Charlie "I fucking hate Bale" Adam
Lose to Everton - Because I say so

Losing at home to WBA, Newcastle, Stoke and Villa has really hurt us this season. There shouldn't be more than two 'surprise' home loses a season if you really want to qualify for the CL and we've had 4.

As long as there is still a mathematical chance that Arse can edge us on last day of the season for 4th that is what I feel will happen. It is like an annual kick in the nuts I am well used to.

So they will lose next 3, we will win next 3, then draws then we both win last day they beat us on goal difference

Although I would obviously love it if we somehow pulled off the impossible and got fourth...
I wonder if there's an argument that it would be better for us NOT to be in the CL next year. I really think this current squad is significantly worse than the squad we had when we were last in it, and I think we would struggle massively balancing it with league games. There is the chance that we could improve the squad in the summer but then again Levy has already said we won't spend big...I doubt he would change his mind due to us being in the CL. It may mean that the one big signing we make is a much better one, but then again would it necessarily? They're still more likely to go to Man City- who are likely to be in the CL for the following 5 seasons even if they miss out this once- and who pay more money.

I suppose financially it would be very good for us to be in it even for one season, but how much of that would actually be directed towards the team?

I'm playing devil's advocate here to some extent...it would still obviously be very exciting to be in the CL.

Back
Top Bottom