Race for top 4 still on?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With City's loss today, is the race for top 4 still on? 6 points behind City with City meeting a well playing United next week they could lose another 3 points. We also have a game against City in may.

There probably is, but then, there's also an argument that the Queen is an alien lizard apparently.

I think we'd be better off in the Champions League next year.
Also, Tottenham Hotspur in the champions league would mean one of the other, Repulsive, Disgusting, Cuntish teams and that seem to have an annual season ticket for the competition missing out at our expense. It has to be worth it for that on its own, surely

Last edited:
It's the hope that kills you. Fourth is not on. It's still possible, sure. Just like it's still possible for Woolwich to go and win the league, but it won't happen. I'd love nothing more than to pip lottery winners for a Champions League spot but I think our focus should be just finish as high as we can and take one game at a time.

Remember, we're still fighting with Liverpool for fifth right now and I think it's disrespectful to rule out Southampton.

Our chances stand at around 0,1% perhaps and here is what needs to happen:

Next weekend we beat Newcastle while City draw to West Ham earlier on the day. Liverpool doesn't play on the weekend. Southampton lose to Stoke away of course.
4 City 33 62
5 Liverpool 32 57
6 Spurs 33 57
7 Southampton 33 56

The weekend after we beat Southampton away ending their hopes of Champions League qualification. Liverpool gets a draw at WBA, but win at Hull a few days later. City manage a win vs Villa at home, as they find form again.

4 City 34 65
5 Liverpool 34 61
6 Spurs 34 60
7 Southampton 34 56

The first weekend of May is a huge shock though as Spurs smash City at the Lane! Liverpool beat QPR at home and Southampton get back on track winning away to Sunderland.

4 City 35 65
5 Liverpool 35 64
6 Spurs 35 63
7 Southampton 35 59

Leicester are desperate for points and win a point at home vs Southampton, their hopes of catching Spurs seems pale. Liverpool gets beaten by Champions Chelsea and City beats QPR at home.

4 City 36 68
5 Spurs 36 66
6 Liverpool 36 64
7 Southampton 36 60

Liverpool beat Crystal Palace, but Spurs beat Hull at home too. A unmotivated City team suddenly lose again, while Southampton beast Timmy.

4 Spurs 37 69
5 City 37 68
6 Liverpool 37 67
7 Southampton 37 61

On the last weekend Spurs play Everton who can't use their in-form player Lennon and have nothing left to play for. Spurs, who suddenly found their form in the last six games end up at 72 points thus making the result of the City and Liverpool games irrelevant.

4 Spurs 38 72
5 City 38 71
6 Liverpool 38 68
7 Southampton 38 61

Next week I'll tell you how Spurs are going to win the League next season.

As far as Im concerned, this is our PL benchmark...
_47785559_009231639-1.jpg

cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

Until this happens again, we are going backwards or at best treading water.

THAT was a team, who understood what the manager wanted. So if "fakkin run raand abit" was the work of a tactically inept buffoon, then fuck knows what we are doing these days.

We're consistently shit for long periods with the odd good performance.
Could say the same with every club above us this season:
Chelsea = great until we smashed them, ever since then they have been backs to the wall
Manure = Shit all season, until they played us.
Scum = Almost as many last minute goals to save face as us. Their best performance was against Citeh which given how they have played this year isn't much to bounce up and down about.
Citeh = Nothing like the levels we have seen the last couple of seasons from them, they have been comprehensively beaten by several teams this year.
Pool = Their worst start to top fight football in 100yrs, they have mirrored us, think they have played well no more than 4 games all season.

I think the quality of football this year has been very poor. I don't know the reason for this, may be the World Cup had some baring as players missed a chance of pre-season or returned to pre-season fatigued, who knows?

It was over before it started really as we stared in a mess but definitely after the Liverpool and West Ham games. Mathematically possible with a hint of optimism when we won 2 games after being beaten in the cups but, completely buried by United.

We actually haven't been all that at all since the scum win. We even managed to make nervous, hard work of games we have won against Swansea, QPR and Leicester.

I can't believe some 'fans' would genuinely hope we finish lower in order to avoid competing in Europe's second most prestigious cup competition - shameful scenes indeed

I also remember not so long ago qualifying for Europe was considered a great season. One can imagine that's the level of utter CUNT and fanboy twat fan a bit of CL football can attract to the club. The gift and the curse.

Last edited:
What is perhaps the most disappointing aspect of the entire season has been these past two matches. With so much still to play for, the idea of having five additional points, and thus being only one win off the top four is quite painful.

This is far from claiming the season a failure by any stretch but as far as frustrations go, it is up there with some of the more recent ones. Clearly not on par with final day illnesses or of Fulop's brain malfunctions, but that isn't to say that these two past results won't leave us facing another anxious final day.

Clearly we are shy of the requisite talent, and having relied on players who had no right to expect to take on such responsibility in Bentelab, Mason and Kane especially, we have found ourselves just short in a season where we weren't expecting to be close, that is a positive but I suspect Poch has some questions to answer as to why we seem, as a team, to have given up, and why, as a coach, he seems unable to entice a performance out of those players with such tangible reward within our grasp.

This summer, with Mitchell alongside him, there should be some interesting developments. I just hope that we can provide the support that both need and not find ourselves questioning why we have Saha and Nelsen MksII come the end of August.

Good post. I have been saying for ages, I don't know why our fan base have this infatuation for qualifying for CL. Is it exciting? Hell yes ...
We already did it once mind you, it was fun but did it really change much? just food for thought.
If those Milan games last time round didn't float your boat I really wonder what it is that you are waiting to happen.

I think long term yes...but next season out of it would be a massive blessing IMO
I'd be interested to know why.

What would your plan - or your expectation - be for the next few seasons if we were to miss out on EL this year?

It's hardly going to be a spring board to consistent CL qualification, so I'm not sure what a season outside of the EL will achieve for the club. Backwards step, for me.

Back
Top Bottom