Race for top 4 still on?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

... and in the games where we threw away points it was with teams full of exactly the players some people want brought back into the team.

Home to West Brom: Lloris, Dier, Kaboul, Chiriches, Rose, Capoue, Dembele, Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli, Adebayor.

Home to Newcastle: Lloris, Dier, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Rose, Capoue, Mason, Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli, Adebayor.

Home to Stoke: Lloris, Naughton, Kaboul, Fazio, Rose, Capoue, Mason, Townsend, Eriksen, Chadli, Kane

See any patterns forming?

You managed to look past the weaknesses of our un-likeable managers
I think Sammy's main point is that people judge our managers more on how likeable they are rather than the quality of football on the pitch.

Sherwood was doomed because of how he spoke and acted, but Pochettino, whose brand of football at present is fairly tepid seems to have a free pass because he is more amiable.

we'd basically need to win all 7 remaining games to even stand a chance, and that won't happen while kaboul is kept in the cold
if it was to happen though, we would have to be one of the poorest sides to ever qualify for the top 4 in england

As far as Im concerned, this is our PL benchmark...
_47785559_009231639-1.jpg

cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

Until this happens again, we are going backwards or at best treading water.

THAT was a team, who understood what the manager wanted. So if "fakkin run raand abit" was the work of a tactically inept buffoon, then fuck knows what we are doing these days.
So basically, until Liverpool under perform and Man City are not a power house we have no chance of getting top four?
I agree with you, Totti Totti . I think we achieved top 4 in that fashion because we managed to sneak in just before Man City developed their team to be better than ours - all while Liverpool were in a wilderness far worse than anything we've had in the past four years.

Yes, we were fucked out of Champions League by Chelsea winning it against the odds - but we were in a situation where Chelsea had (uncharacteristically) fucked up in the league, meaning we could finish in the top four above them.
So when people point to that season, and ignore just how bad we were in the run in to allow Woolwich to finish above us... if Chelsea had their act together, we'd have been slumping from 4th-to-5th, not 3rd-to-4th.

Edit: sammyspurs sammyspurs don't get me wrong, I loved the hell out of those times, and I'll always have a fondness for the good times under Redknapp. I just think the top 4 have closed ranks recently in a way that makes finishing up there more difficult once more.

I think for Poch and the team the focus should be on playing well for the last games

I might be naïve - but somehow I hope that rewards will come to us sooner or later if we play well

Be that champions league or trophies or whatever..

Lose at home to Baggies, Geordies, Stoke & Villians you don't deserve 4th. Out of these 4 games which I had the displeasure of attending, the Stoke performance was THE most inept display I can ever recall down the Lane. I've let friends have my season ticket for Citeh & Hull games. I've dugout my flip flops same as our team and putting this season to a distant memory. Best part of yesterday was watching Alex Pritchard score for Brentford while drinking 1664 in the Billy Nick. I'll still be renewing my season ticket for another season of a few highs and I suspect quite a few lows. Very pissed off Yiddo.

Although I would obviously love it if we somehow pulled off the impossible and got fourth...
I wonder if there's an argument that it would be better for us NOT to be in the CL next year. I really think this current squad is significantly worse than the squad we had when we were last in it, and I think we would struggle massively balancing it with league games. There is the chance that we could improve the squad in the summer but then again Levy has already said we won't spend big...I doubt he would change his mind due to us being in the CL. It may mean that the one big signing we make is a much better one, but then again would it necessarily? They're still more likely to go to Man City- who are likely to be in the CL for the following 5 seasons even if they miss out this once- and who pay more money.

I suppose financially it would be very good for us to be in it even for one season, but how much of that would actually be directed towards the team?

I'm playing devil's advocate here to some extent...it would still obviously be very exciting to be in the CL.
palmers_green_yid palmers_green_yid come of it you have an alteria motive for posting this. You love the Europa League it give you a chance to spread the spurs Gospel in far off post Soviet enclaves where you meet up with huddled families break bread and drink fermented yaks yogurt.

We love you for it the forum's travelling ambassador. Hope you are well.

I'd be interested to know why.

What would your plan - or your expectation - be for the next few seasons if we were to miss out on EL this year?

It's hardly going to be a spring board to consistent CL qualification, so I'm not sure what a season outside of the EL will achieve for the club. Backwards step, for me.
I couldn't agree more. If our ultimate goal is to play in the Champions League wouldn't you want us used to playing two games in a week? There is no difference to playing Thursday/Sunday as opposed to Wednesday/Saturday

Secondly, it is a great way to utilise squad players. Kane probably wouldn't have gotten his chance if we were not in the EL this season. Not only him but it keeps our reserve players match fit for when we would need them to an injury to one of our starters. It could prove invaluable to players like Yedlin, Pritchard, Luongo, Onomah or whoever else is making the step up next season.

Lastly, it has that carrot of winning a trophy and CL sport dangling at the end of it. As I have posted before with the current financial situation of clubs at the top end of the table it will be very difficult for us to qualify through league finish.

I dont give a fuck about top 4, CL or anything like that if it means giving up on other competitions we could (should?) be winning. Silverware is where its at and this CL lie that keeps the gooners happy is not what we should be aiming for, nobody cares about reaching the 1/4 finals of the CL for x years in a row.

the games you remember, the cup runs you'll tell your children about are the ones where you achieved glory by winning or felt the evil sting of defeat after the ultimate game.

I'd given up on 4th weeks ago ...... and I think the team did too!! The EL is more of a realistic target, and although certain bits about it get on my t...nerves, it would be brilliant to win it again, heck any silverware would be brilliant, they're the occasions you remember with great feeling.

Back
Top Bottom