Race for top 4 still on?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The only games I can remember from the AVB season that stood out were the win at Old Trafford and the late late Bale Show v West Ham.
Otherwise it was sideways and backwards for 86 minutes, then give it to Gareth and let him sort it out.

Agreed, most boring football I can remember at the lane. The Burnley game was kind of the same but without Bale, admittley even for AVB it would have been a bad performance.

Hopefully we'll finish 7th and the FA Cup final won't be Woolwich v Liverpool

It's tempting but then it just seems churlish to turn away European football. Buuuut sod it, I'm in the camp that says let Thursday nights be for getting tanked whilst not being bothered if the second placed Moldovan team will turn us over.

As far as Im concerned, this is our PL benchmark...
_47785559_009231639-1.jpg

cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

Until this happens again, we are going backwards or at best treading water.

THAT was a team, who understood what the manager wanted. So if "fakkin run raand abit" was the work of a tactically inept buffoon, then fuck knows what we are doing these days.

So basically, until Liverpool under perform and Man City are not a power house we have no chance of getting top four?

Swings and roundabouts...swap City then for Utd now in that case. Or Woolwich any year....or come to think of it, City this year, who have gone to shit at the death.
Liverpool? UNDERACHIEVED that year? hahahahahah...they've been underachieving since 1990, mate.

You sound like a fucking twat, belittling what we did back then to be honest while for the last two weeks you have been claiming that the PL is weak as fuck nowadays and was stronger before...sigh oh mighty.

As far as Im concerned, this is our PL benchmark...
_47785559_009231639-1.jpg

cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

Until this happens again, we are going backwards or at best treading water.

THAT was a team, who understood what the manager wanted. So if "fakkin run raand abit" was the work of a tactically inept buffoon, then fuck knows what we are doing these days.
So basically, until Liverpool under perform and Man City are not a power house we have no chance of getting top four?
I agree with you, Totti Totti . I think we achieved top 4 in that fashion because we managed to sneak in just before Man City developed their team to be better than ours - all while Liverpool were in a wilderness far worse than anything we've had in the past four years.

Yes, we were fucked out of Champions League by Chelsea winning it against the odds - but we were in a situation where Chelsea had (uncharacteristically) fucked up in the league, meaning we could finish in the top four above them.
So when people point to that season, and ignore just how bad we were in the run in to allow Woolwich to finish above us... if Chelsea had their act together, we'd have been slumping from 4th-to-5th, not 3rd-to-4th.

Edit: sammyspurs sammyspurs don't get me wrong, I loved the hell out of those times, and I'll always have a fondness for the good times under Redknapp. I just think the top 4 have closed ranks recently in a way that makes finishing up there more difficult once more.

I agree with you, Totti Totti . I think we achieved top 4 in that fashion because we managed to sneak in just before Man City developed their team to be better than ours - all while Liverpool were in a wilderness far worse than anything we've had in the past four years.

Yes, we were fucked out of Champions League by Chelsea winning it against the odds - but we were in a situation where Chelsea had (uncharacteristically) fucked up in the league, meaning we could finish in the top four above them.
So when people point to that season, and ignore just how bad we were in the run in to allow Woolwich to finish above us... if Chelsea had their act together, we'd have been slumping from 4th-to-5th, not 3rd-to-4th.
Not the first time people have agreed with the Totti. I'm not belittling our achievements. For a team that consisted of Crouch up top and the likes of Palacios and Bentley in midfield to get Champions League is nothing short of brilliant. Some of the players hadn't reached their potential then in Bale and Modric but we got there because Liverpool were signing shit like Poulsen and Man City still went into the season with Mark Hughes as manager.

Redknapp did exceptionally well to make the most of other teams disastrous campaigns and got the best out of some of the average players we had to play to their maximum, he was always good at this, his work at the likes of Portsmouth show this.

2009-10
Spurs will NEVER get 4th
Spurs will NEVER beat Woolwich
Spurs will NEVER beat Chelsea
Spurs will NEVER beat City away
Oh...
Spurs will NEVER qualify anyway
Hahahahaa 3-0 Young Boys.....
Oh....
Spurs will NEVER get out that group
Spurs will NEVER beat Inter
Spurs will NEVER beat Milan
oh...
Spurs will NEVER beat Real
HAHAHAHAHAHAH TOLD YOU HAHAHAHAHAHA

And now, Spurs fans are agreeing with them....
So City were not as good and Liverpool let us get 4th...ok, funny how Chesea, Utd and Woolwich were all better though than now, but lets not mention it.

Shocking

2009-10
Spurs will NEVER get 4th
Spurs will NEVER beat Woolwich
Spurs will NEVER beat Chelsea
Spurs will NEVER beat City away
Oh...
Spurs will NEVER qualify anyway
Hahahahaa 3-0 Young Boys.....
Oh....
Spurs will NEVER get out that group
Spurs will NEVER beat Inter
Spurs will NEVER beat Milan
oh...
Spurs will NEVER beat Real
HAHAHAHAHAHAH TOLD YOU HAHAHAHAHAHA

And now, Spurs fans are agreeing with them....
So City were not as good and Liverpool let us get 4th...ok, funny how Chesea, Utd and Woolwich were all better though than now, but lets not mention it.

Shocking
Okay, well there's some serious strawman thinking going on there. Through all those matches I was on the edge of my seat hoping and praying that we'd make it through. And we did. And it was fantastic.

How on Earth is anything Totti Totti or I have said representative of those opinions - or somehow deriving glee from the failures (or possible failures) of Tottenham Hotspur?
The only person going around calling Spurs shit is you. Constantly.

That's a huge gulf of difference between looking at the league in years gone by, and trying to analyse it without just looking at Spurs in isolation. In fact, doing so will mean that you can look at this season and know the difficulties we'd come up against if you're craving a top four finish. We can see it from the patterns of other teams (e.g. Liverpool), and we can see it based on the differences in our squad's ability and maturity.

Well we outperformed the powerhouse City in the champions league the following season and the resurgent liverpool too, and Woolwich havent gone as far as us since in fact only chelsea have outperformed us in the CL since then (typically to stop us going back in for more) so how does that work?

Well we outperformed the powerhouse City in the champions league the following season and the resurgent liverpool too, and Woolwich havent gone as far as us since in fact only chelsea have outperformed us in the CL since then (typically to stop us going back in for more) so how does that work?
Football is a funny game. I'm sure if you tell an Woolwich fan that we got further than them in the Champions League the one time we qualified in about forty years, they'd probably laugh at you or just mention how they actually get into the competition every year.

Much like I would if someone tried to belittle the achievement of making it into the Champions League for the first time in forty odd years..

To answer the original question.....

If Man U beat City, and we beat City... then yes it's on.

So it's probably not on.

Back
Top Bottom