Race for top 4 still on?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

what is that?
Pride-3-pce_thumb.jpg

This is my opinion and mine only.

I have said it a few times now on this board. But, now top 4 is long gone, I am happy for us to draw a few games, finish outside the EL places, get rid of the shit deadwood, let Poch bring in a few players that HE wants and let the squad have a great pre-season.
Agree that we have a lot of players to shift, but I don't believe finishing outside the EL places will do us any favours.

Tell me, if the ultimate aim is Champions League football, what will our excuse be when we play Wednesday - Saturday? No different to Thursday - Sunday. It's modern day football, players will have to play twice a week, or four times a fortnight. And we will need a squad big enough to deal with that.

Anyway, back to the EL. Given the winner is guaranteed a CL place, and the prize money has now been increased significantly, as well as it being an attraction of sorts to players, and it's good for the prestige of the club, I think it's vital we qualify.

In my eyes, it would be a step backwards not to do so.

To progress, we need to be able to juggle European and Domestic football, whether that be EL or CL. Or we can go back to mid table obscurity and celebrate the odd upset against United.

Agree that we have a lot of players to shift, but I don't believe finishing outside the EL places will do us any favours.

Tell me, if the ultimate aim is Champions League football, what will our excuse be when we play Wednesday - Saturday? No different to Thursday - Sunday. It's modern day football, players will have to play twice a week, or four times a fortnight. And we will need a squad big enough to deal with that.

Anyway, back to the EL. Given the winner is guaranteed a CL place, and the prize money has now been increased significantly, as well as it being an attraction of sorts to players, and it's good for the prestige of the club, I think it's vital we qualify.

In my eyes, it would be a step backwards not to do so.

To progress, we need to be able to juggle European and Domestic football, whether that be EL or CL. Or we can go back to mid table obscurity and celebrate the odd upset against United.

Fair enough mate. As I said, it was my opinion. We are burnt out right now from playing an extra 50 odd games in the EL. I am just saying my own preference would be to have no EL distractions next year and go and try to win a cup.

You managed to look past the weaknesses of our un-likeable managers
I think Sammy's main point is that people judge our managers more on how likeable they are rather than the quality of football on the pitch.

Sherwood was doomed because of how he spoke and acted, but Pochettino, whose brand of football at present is fairly tepid seems to have a free pass because he is more amiable.

I think Sammy's main point is that people judge our managers more on how likeable they are rather than the quality of football on the pitch.

Sherwood was doomed because of how he spoke and acted, but Pochettino, whose brand of football at present is fairly tepid seems to have a free pass because he is more amiable.

Their likeability surely can't be underestimated as an attribute though:

- Redknapp was eventually let go because the board didn't trust him.
- AVB was effectively forced out by the press as they hated him.
- Sherwood had completely lost key players in the dressing room, it was either them or him.

- Sherwood had completely lost key players in the dressing room, it was either them or him.
maybe but surely performance & results are a million times more important

For me problem with Redknapp had nothing to do with the football. That was actually great, but I always felt something was just about to blow up in our face, it was just a matter of what and when.

The problem with AVB was all about the football, though he seemed a bit of a knob as well. The football was horrible.

I had nothing against Sherwood, but he was another one with a motor mouth that was going to get us in trouble sooner or later. It is not his job to supply copy to newspapers with every comment. If he could just have learned when to shut up he would have been fine.

Anyway, back to the EL. Given the winner is guaranteed a CL place, and the prize money has now been increased significantly, as well as it being an attraction of sorts to players.
i think u answered your own question without realising it. if we qualify for the CL, we can attract better players & will have much more ££ to spend on them. we can improve the quality of our squad too. thus coping better with playing tue/wed & sat/sun.

City at the moment remind me of the second half of Redknapp's last season after Capello left - i.e. completely capitulating. I think after the disappointment of yesterday for them, and with the possibility of United beating them this weekend, they could easily only pick up another 10-12 points.

However we are 7 points behind them, effectively 8 accounting for goal difference, so we'd need 18-20 points from the remaining 21 available, and that is clearly just not gonna happen.

Of course - but the manager is going to get a lot more time to get things right if he manages to keep all the necessary parties on side during the inevitable periods of poorer form.
true. not a very good reason to keep a manager on though. id rather a horrible jose or simeone win us stuff personally.

true. not a very good reason to keep a manager on though. id rather a horrible jose or simeone win us stuff personally.

I think you are in a minority there.

Most Spurs fans seem to want entertaining football before success - we haven't delivered that all season, but there have been flashes where it's come together.

Not sure I could stomach winning the Mourinho way to be honest........all that money and all those players and they still need to cheat to edge out wins

No.If it was ever on in the first place.
5th is possible.To be honest, i'm more worried about who's going to finish up Champions.
Those hedge hopping b*st*rds from up the road are getting results at the right time.
Scary

5th is possible.To be honest, i'm more worried about who's going to finish up Champions.
Those hedge hopping b*st*rds from up the road are getting results at the right time.
Scary
It's worrying yeah, but Mourinho is far too experienced to fuck it up at this point. He won't start rotating players or allowing them to slack off until it's mathematically won.

Scary

Agree 100%. I think it shows (unfortunately) how far we are still behind them. Yes we slaughtered them at the Lane. Yes it was fucking great. BUT surely it depends where you finish and (once again) they are finishing above us and they could (long shot I know) win the double.

Jesus I feel sick.

I think you are in a minority there.

Most Spurs fans seem to want entertaining football before success - we haven't delivered that all season, but there have been flashes where it's come together.

Not sure I could stomach winning the Mourinho way to be honest........all that money and all those players and they still need to cheat to edge out wins
i wasnt talking about style of play. i meant their character & how likeable they are

Back
Top Bottom