Race for top 4 still on?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree 100%. I think it shows (unfortunately) how far we are still behind them. Yes we slaughtered them at the Lane. Yes it was fucking great. BUT surely it depends where you finish and (once again) they are finishing above us and they could (long shot I know) win the double.

Jesus I feel sick.
Woolwich are miles ahead of us. & they arent even that good. the premiership has been really poor & weak again. & we arent getting top 4 despite this. its scary thinking about it. Woolwich wont win the title though. but they should win the fa cup. at least theo & wilshire are stil poor. thats when they arent injured! small consolations

Woolwich are miles ahead of us. & they arent even that good. the premiership has been really poor & weak again. & we arent getting top 4 despite this. its scary thinking about it. Woolwich wont win the title though. but they should win the fa cup. at least theo & wilshire are stil poor. thats when they arent injured! small consolations
Theo? :avbnaa:

i think u answered your own question without realising it. if we qualify for the CL, we can attract better players & will have much more ££ to spend on them. we can improve the quality of our squad too. thus coping better with playing tue/wed & sat/sun.
Yes, but can we afford to drop out of the EL in order to push for the CL? Can we attract the players needed for a CL push without being in the EL? I don't think so. Liverpool have seemingly failed to make it stick, drifting away from the top 4 and embarrassing themselves in Europe this year. And we don't have the draw they do as a club.

It's a catch 22, but I do think we need to be in Europe to have the squad and money to be anywhere near top 4.

Unless we have a billionaire owner, gone are the days where we could expect to consistently finish in the top 4. Even if we spent another £200m on this squad, it would be a fight every year. There are 6 or 7 viable teams fighting for 3 spaces (Chelsea a given under Mourinho it seems).

Everyone's having a go at each other again.
I see it like this? Some people like to be positive in their rooting interests, and others like to have a moan. This sometimes can be dependent on who's in charge, but for the most part that seems to be the case regardless. So all of the "you said, we can't get top 4 and now we are," and the "you're always bitching" comments really serve no purpose other than to wind people up.

I'll be glass half full really regardless of what's going on as long as there is something to hang my hat on. Whether that was tons of scoring and Adebayor and Eriksen last year, or English Jesus and the Academy Apostles this year.

So yeah, 4th is going to be tough, but to me its more fun to watch these games with a goal in sight than to just bitch for the rest of the season. For those that like to moan because that's how they handle disappointment,
5166465451_ded900eaf8.jpg

Agree 100%. I think it shows (unfortunately) how far we are still behind them. Yes we slaughtered them at the Lane. Yes it was fucking great. BUT surely it depends where you finish and (once again) they are finishing above us and they could (long shot I know) win the double.

Jesus I feel sick.
Their consistency since we beat them is admirable. We could only hope to put together such a consistent run towards the end of the season. And if you watched them on Saturday, they seem to only be getting better. Every single one of their goals were excellent, the understanding their players have is second to none at the moment.

All the while, we are fading considerably. That draw against Burnley was on a par with England. As drab as it gets.

I quite agree that we are some way behind them. Around 10 years, I'd say. We need to remain consistent through this stadium build and then look to push on.

And to answer the thread title, the race is still on. Do I think we will get top 4? No. It would take a tremendous change in form and fortune for that to happen, but it's not out of the picture.

United play City next weekend, so someone is dropping points. United also have Woolwich and Chelsea to play, as well Everton and Palace away. They're not going to win them all.

The only team we have to play above us is a faltering City, who we could actually be within touching distance of when we play. If that isn't enough motivation for the lads, I don't know what is.

21 points still to play for, and a lot of points still to be dropped by teams above us. I would say our fate is still in our hands.

We can get a maximum of 75 points this season. Makes AVB's points haul look rather impressive IMO

we'd basically need to win all 7 remaining games to even stand a chance, and that won't happen while kaboul is kept in the cold
if it was to happen though, we would have to be one of the poorest sides to ever qualify for the top 4 in england

we'd basically need to win all 7 remaining games to even stand a chance, and that won't happen while kaboul is kept in the cold
if it was to happen though, we would have to be one of the poorest sides to ever qualify for the top 4 in england
Yes, Kaboul not playing is the downfall of our season...

The problem with AVB was all about the football, though he seemed a bit of a knob as well. The football was horrible.

I keep hearing this, but for me, Sunday surpassed anything I've seen in recent years. To be fair, give or take a few games, I'd argue a large chunk of our performances this season have been on a par with AVB's worst days.

My eyes actually started bleeding at one point on Sunday.

I keep hearing this, but for me, Sunday surpassed anything I've seen in recent years. To be fair, give or take a few games, I'd argue a large chunk of our performances this season have been on a par with AVB's worst days.

I found myself wanting to see Soldado introduced.

Unless we have a billionaire owner, gone are the days where we could expect to consistently finish in the top 4. Even if we spent another £200m on this squad, it would be a fight every year. There are 6 or 7 viable teams fighting for 3 spaces (Chelsea a given under Mourinho it seems).

No point having the money to spend if it's wasted.

Most of our recent £10m+ signings are barely making the bench, and when they do get on the pitch, they are useless.

The only games I can remember from the AVB season that stood out were the win at Old Trafford and the late late Bale Show v West Ham.
Otherwise it was sideways and backwards for 86 minutes, then give it to Gareth and let him sort it out.

Back
Top Bottom