Race for top 4 still on?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It'd be absolutely hilarious if Man City failed to get Champions League football. But if anyone beats them ahead of us, please have it be Southampton.

I'd personally be happy by just getting back to scoring atleast a goal.

This should be edited to 'The race for top 6 still on?'.

Has anyone else considered the fact that it is now a real possibility that Sherwood could take Villa into Europe at our expense? I am sure that would vindicate some of the Sherwood fan boys on here, but it would make me unable to look at any sports pages for the next 6 months or so.
that would mean they stop Woolwich winning the fa cup. so i would rather that & us miss out on the sapping europa league

What is perhaps the most disappointing aspect of the entire season has been these past two matches. With so much still to play for, the idea of having five additional points, and thus being only one win off the top four is quite painful.

This is far from claiming the season a failure by any stretch but as far as frustrations go, it is up there with some of the more recent ones. Clearly not on par with final day illnesses or of Fulop's brain malfunctions, but that isn't to say that these two past results won't leave us facing another anxious final day.

Clearly we are shy of the requisite talent, and having relied on players who had no right to expect to take on such responsibility in Bentelab, Mason and Kane especially, we have found ourselves just short in a season where we weren't expecting to be close, that is a positive but I suspect Poch has some questions to answer as to why we seem, as a team, to have given up, and why, as a coach, he seems unable to entice a performance out of those players with such tangible reward within our grasp.

This summer, with Mitchell alongside him, there should be some interesting developments. I just hope that we can provide the support that both need and not find ourselves questioning why we have Saha and Nelsen MksII come the end of August.

that would mean they stop Woolwich winning the fa cup. so i would rather that & us miss out on the sapping europa league
No it doesnt. It means they beat Liverpool in the Semi finals. Something that I wouldnt care about, if it wouldnt help Woolwich and maybe stop us qualifying for Europe

i thought they changed it to domestic cup final runner ups dont get a place in europe. forgive me for not keeping up with the latest rules!

i thought they changed it to domestic cup final runner ups dont get a place in europe. forgive me for not keeping up with the latest rules!
No, league cup runners up dont (that was us). FA Cup do, unless they already have one, then it goes to the league. It has been that way for 5 years at least

ok. i thought the league cup runners up not getting a place in europe was a more recent change than 5 yrs ago

I can't believe some 'fans' would genuinely hope we finish lower in order to avoid competing in Europe's second most prestigious cup competition - shameful scenes indeed

I also remember not so long ago qualifying for Europe was considered a great season. One can imagine that's the level of utter CUNT and fanboy twat fan a bit of CL football can attract to the club. The gift and the curse.

Last edited:
its simple. finish as high as we can & then if we get europa league football, play our youngsters & fringe squad players

Our chances stand at around 0,1% perhaps and here is what needs to happen:

Next weekend we beat Newcastle while City draw to West Ham earlier on the day. Liverpool doesn't play on the weekend. Southampton lose to Stoke away of course.
4 City 33 62
5 Liverpool 32 57
6 Spurs 33 57
7 Southampton 33 56

The weekend after we beat Southampton away ending their hopes of Champions League qualification. Liverpool gets a draw at WBA, but win at Hull a few days later. City manage a win vs Villa at home, as they find form again.

4 City 34 65
5 Liverpool 34 61
6 Spurs 34 60
7 Southampton 34 56

The first weekend of May is a huge shock though as Spurs smash City at the Lane! Liverpool beat QPR at home and Southampton get back on track winning away to Sunderland.

4 City 35 65
5 Liverpool 35 64
6 Spurs 35 63
7 Southampton 35 59

Leicester are desperate for points and win a point at home vs Southampton, their hopes of catching Spurs seems pale. Liverpool gets beaten by Champions Chelsea and City beats QPR at home.

4 City 36 68
5 Spurs 36 66
6 Liverpool 36 64
7 Southampton 36 60

Liverpool beat Crystal Palace, but Spurs beat Hull at home too. A unmotivated City team suddenly lose again, while Southampton beast Timmy.

4 Spurs 37 69
5 City 37 68
6 Liverpool 37 67
7 Southampton 37 61

On the last weekend Spurs play Everton who can't use their in-form player Lennon and have nothing left to play for. Spurs, who suddenly found their form in the last six games end up at 72 points thus making the result of the City and Liverpool games irrelevant.

4 Spurs 38 72
5 City 38 71
6 Liverpool 38 68
7 Southampton 38 61

Next week I'll tell you how Spurs are going to win the League next season.

Unrealistic because we'll never beat Hull at home. 2/10 WNB.

I can't believe some 'fans' would genuinely hope we finish lower in order to avoid competing in Europe's second most prestigious cup competition - shameful scenes indeed

I also remember not so long ago qualifying for Europe was considered a great season. One can imagine that's the level of utter CUNT and fanboy twat fan a bit of CL football can attract to the club. The gift and the curse.

What if it is based on the evidence that being in that competition hasn't been that great a tournament for us? Or that those not wanting us to qualify for it do so as they would like us to have a greater chance of top four which could then allow us further success down the line?

These are possibilities. Do I agree? I'm not sold one way or the other; I can see the merits in both to be honest.

That isn't the reason I am a cunt though. My public masturbation campaign does.

That almost sounded plausible until I realised it requires us winning every game!

As for Europa I naturally want us to win every game we play so I can sit and hope we don't qualify for it but at the same time if we don't I won't be too disappointed.

What if it is based on the evidence that being in that competition hasn't been that great a tournament for us? Or that those not wanting us to qualify for it do so as they would like us to have a greater chance of top four which could then allow us further success down the line?

These are possibilities. Do I agree? I'm not sold one way or the other; I can see the merits in both to be honest.

That isn't the reason I am a cunt though. My public masturbation campaign does.

How are we supposed to get excited about EL when we watch a bunch of disinterested players kicking a ball sideways in the arse of Russia.

Back
Top Bottom