Paulinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

[QUOTE="Freudlyuchenko, post: 647605, member: 255" but a player who has 32 appearances for Brazil must

Fred has 39.:kaboullol:[/QUOTE]
Fred is cracking on FIFA tbh, my friend was chatting shit and I scored 5. But Fred has got 18 goals for the national side, unfortunately Brazilian support is cunty, kinda like Spurs, if you enter shit form your hung out to dry.

Your saying that like the goals weren't important, Cardiff, Hull, it is all very saying they were shit, which they were, but we have plenty of players who didn't score those goals. Look, he was obviously on shit form last season, but a player who has 32 appearances for Brazil must have something.

Last season Chadli's only goal was against Newcastle, he is now doing much better in front of goal. Why rule out that he might improve? How many times have we seen him this season? Once in his position and once out on the left wing for some random reason. What harm can a chance do? We've played some shit teams this season and failed to score enough goals (Newcastle, Sunderland, West Brom) and additional goal isn't anything to be sniffed at, surely?

I'm amenable to this argument for Soldado. I've seen him flash ability a bunch of times, he's just never put it together. With Paulinho, I just don't see ability.

I'm amenable to this argument for Soldado. I've seen him flash ability a bunch of times, he's just never put it together. With Paulinho, I just don't see ability.
I look forward to your Sherwood moment when you say "I didn't realise Paulinho was that good", it is in our interests that he comes good.

Our problem was that at the start of last season we were preparing to play a 4-3-3, like AVB had at Porto which worked so well. Eriksen was so good that we had to accommodate him despite this meaning we would be unable to play a 4-3-3.

AVB's Dream
---------------Rose (BAE)----------------------------------------Bale (Chadli)
----------Vertonghen (Chiriches)-------------Paulinho (Carroll)
Lloris (Friedel)------------------Sandro (Capoue)----------------------Soldado (Adebayor)
----------Kaboul (Dawson)-----------Dembele (Holtby)
----------------Walker (Naughton)------------------------------Lamela (Lennon)

Sandro intercepting the balls, giving them quickly to Paulinho and Dembele, releasing Bale and Lamela who would then cross into Soldado. Needless to say it didn't work out that way, unfortunately.

Fuck Madrid

Things AVB probably didn't anticipate as he was naive.
Bale - was probably given assurances he wouldn't go (players who joined during the summer were told that Bale would stay)
Lamela - injuries/failing to settle/find form
Soldado - failing to settle/find form/still born child
Sandro - Injuries
Capoue - Injuries
BAE - Supporting Anelka
Chadli - failing to settle/find form
Naughton - had to be played at left back
Kaboul - not to be dreadful, thought in be like the Kaboul he was over a year prior
Vertonghen - be the player he was the season before (in the team of the year)
Paulinho - failing to settle/find form
Adebayor - the hat incident
Sherwood - bitching behind his back
Fans - Us, and by that I mean to over expectant lot we picked up in 2011 being a bunch of over expectant, unrealistic cunts.

Last edited:
I look forward to your Sherwood moment when you say "I didn't realise Paulinho was that good", it is in our interests that he comes good.

Our problem was that at the start of last season we were preparing to play a 4-3-3, like AVB had at Porto which worked so well. Eriksen was so good that we had to accommodate him despite this meaning we would be unable to play a 4-3-3.

AVB's Dream
---------------Rose (BAE)----------------------------------------Bale (Chadli)
----------Vertonghen (Chiriches)-------------Paulinho (Carroll)
Lloris (Friedel)------------------Sandro (Capoue)----------------------Soldado (Adebayor)
----------Kaboul (Dawson)-----------Dembele (Holtby)
----------------Walker (Naughton)------------------------------Lamela (Lennon)

Sandro intercepting the balls, giving them quickly to Paulinho and Dembele, releasing Bale and Lamela who would then cross into Soldado. Needless to say it didn't work out that way, unfortunately.

Fuck Madrid

Put Moutinho in there instead of Paulinho and I think you would have had a side that AVB could have really done something with. The problem was AVB couldn't coach offensive football at all and losing Bale and the fact that none of our midfield options could pass was just so damaging.

In comparison, you look at a guy like Mourinho who AVB is compared to a lot because he comes off Mourinho's coaching tree. Obviously Mourinho is a substantially better and more experienced coach than AVB but they have similar ideas about football. Last year, Chelsea destroyed all the top 6 teams but struggled with the lower sides. Mourinho has trouble manufacturing offense tactically as well. So he goes out and gets Fabregas and Costa. Now they are stream rolling teams.

We were quite good under AVB in his season with Bale against the top sides. Three points against Woolwich and leading at the Emirates until Ade's red, a draw at Stamford Bridge and up 2-1 in the second half without Bale before a series of heinous defensive mistakes, four points off United, win against City plus we gave up two in the last ten minutes to blow it at the Ethiad. Could have had six points off Liverpool too if it weren't for some catastrophic mistakes from Walker and Defoe. Obviously we never could have gotten players as good as Chelsea did that but AVB not getting Moutinho is our biggest hypothetical what if since the lasagna though. Still, Bale probably would have left either way. You don't say no to Real Madrid just because your team came in fourth.

JDK JDK With Bale, 2 if not 3 opponents would have marked him giving huge amounts of space to the other players on our team.

The thing about his transfer is it appears Spurs initially believed they were going to keep. They had their valuation, a correct valuation and they did not believe that Madrid had the funds to pay that valuation.

Madrid didn't until they sold Ozil and Higuain. Ozil was so good in his last season at Madrid that that seemed farcical. Even then Madrid have one of the most dodgy financial accounts in football, £73 million just could be said no to. Bale knew that Spurs had a valuation and rightfully expected for them to take it if met, when it was met I imagine Levy & co were caught by surprise but had to give in.

This fucked us from the get go. A 4-2-3-1 is very different to a 4-3-3. He did play attacking football in Portugal and Europe scoring 136 goals in 2010/11.

JDK JDK With Bale, 2 if not 3 opponents would have marked him giving huge amounts of space to the other players on our team.

The thing about his transfer is it appears Spurs initially believed they were going to keep. They had their valuation, a correct valuation and they did not believe that Madrid had the funds to pay that valuation.

Madrid didn't until they sold Ozil and Higuain. Ozil was so good in his last season at Madrid that that seemed farcical. Even then Madrid have one of the most dodgy financial accounts in football, £73 million just could be said no to. Bale knew that Spurs had a valuation and rightfully expected for them to take it if met, when it was met I imagine Levy & co were caught by surprise but had to give in.

This fucked us from the get go. A 4-2-3-1 is very different to a 4-3-3. He did play attacking football in Portugal and Europe scoring 136 goals in 2010/11.

I mean Spurs knew they were selling Bale from the off. He obviously made clear to them what was going to happen. We broke the club record fee twice before August 1st. As much as we all wanted to believe that spending was independent of Bale, Levy's track record is pretty much exactly opposite to that. The club were just saying the right things to the public trying to get the right value.

As for AVB at Porto, I don't mean this too negatively as I think AVB is a decent manager and I like him as a man but having a side in the Portuguese league that features Falcao, Hulk, James Rodriguez, Moutinho, and Freddy Guarin barely needs to be managed, especially going forward. That has to be the most expensive in terms of eventual transfer fees line up that has ever been fielded in a non top four league.

I mean Spurs knew they were selling Bale from the off. He obviously made clear to them what was going to happen. We broke the club record fee twice before August 1st. As much as we all wanted to believe that spending was independent of Bale, Levy's track record is pretty much exactly opposite to that. The club were just saying the right things to the public trying to get the right value.

As for AVB at Porto, I don't mean this too negatively as I think AVB is a decent manager and I like him as a man but having a side in the Portuguese league that features Falcao, Hulk, James Rodriguez, Moutinho, and Freddy Guarin barely needs to be managed, especially going forward. That has to be the most expensive in terms of eventual transfer fees line up that has ever been fielded in a non top four league.
No, my point was they (Spurs) didn't expect to sell Bale from the off, Madrid were/are a club in over half a €billion in debt and €92m outlay does seem unexpected on a player that they didn't need. (They had Di Maria). However once Madrid said that they could pay that Spurs had to accept, I don't think that before August they anticipated his sale.

It is all very well saying that he had an amazing team, and he did although we have all seen teams with impressive forward lines fail to score too many goals (Look at United), Portugal is a far more competitive league then people give it credit for, last season it moved above Serie A in the rankings. Spurs were trying to replicate a squad of that standard for AVB.

Bale scored 26 goals the season before would bring the goals that Hulk brought (35)
Lamela was supposed to score like he did in Serie A and take Varela's role (Rodriguez was an up and coming played), Varela had scored 12 goals in AVB's last season. Lamela scored 15 in his last at Roma.
And Soldado was meant to take the Falcao role. Falcao had scored 39 goals in that season with AVB whereas Soldado had scored 30 in his last with Valencia.
Bale (26) - Hulk (35)
Soldado (30) - Falcao (39)
Lamela (15) - Varela (12)
Total (71) - (86)

Admittedly Moutinho was the one they wanted but we cannot financial compete on wages with Monaco. Paulinho was meant to fill that role. He (Paulinho) actually spreads the play very well to our forward runners and wide men. In the one game he's played in his position, he repeatedly released Naughton down the outside.

Put Moutinho in there instead of Paulinho and I think you would have had a side that AVB could have really done something with. The problem was AVB couldn't coach offensive football at all and losing Bale and the fact that none of our midfield options could pass was just so damaging.

In comparison, you look at a guy like Mourinho who AVB is compared to a lot because he comes off Mourinho's coaching tree. Obviously Mourinho is a substantially better and more experienced coach than AVB but they have similar ideas about football. Last year, Chelsea destroyed all the top 6 teams but struggled with the lower sides. Mourinho has trouble manufacturing offense tactically as well. So he goes out and gets Fabregas and Costa. Now they are stream rolling teams.

We were quite good under AVB in his season with Bale against the top sides. Three points against Woolwich and leading at the Emirates until Ade's red, a draw at Stamford Bridge and up 2-1 in the second half without Bale before a series of heinous defensive mistakes, four points off United, win against City plus we gave up two in the last ten minutes to blow it at the Ethiad. Could have had six points off Liverpool too if it weren't for some catastrophic mistakes from Walker and Defoe. Obviously we never could have gotten players as good as Chelsea did that but AVB not getting Moutinho is our biggest hypothetical what if since the lasagna though. Still, Bale probably would have left either way. You don't say no to Real Madrid just because your team came in fourth.
I must be missing something with this 'Moutinho is to blame for our demise' thing, I've seen it a lot around the forum, and can't understand how missing out on one bloke has been attributed to our downfall so much.

Sure, he was a quality player in Portugal, and is performing well for Monaco, but I can't help but think there must be a reason why he hasn't signed for a better club over the past couple years. Monaco had a clear out this summer with the owner pulling much of the funding, yet he is still there, playing for a (current) mid-table club in one of Western Europe's more average leagues to attendances of around 8,000.

It just doesn't add up for me.

Last edited:
I must be missing something with this 'Moutinho is to blame for our demise' thing, I've seen it a lot around the forum, and can't understand how missing out on one bloke has been attributed to our downfall so much.

Sure, he was a quality player in Portugal, and is performing well for Monaco, but I can't help but think there must be a reason why he hasn't signed for a better club over the past couple years. Monaco had a clear out this summer with the owner pulling much of the funding, yet he is still there, playing for a (current) mid-table club in one of Western Europe's more average leagues to attendances of around 5,000.

He might like the lifestyle. Seeing as Bale isn't getting as much game time lets bring Bale and Moutinho in January on loans.... oh my god, that would be amazing.

I hope he plays tonight and I want Freudlyuchenko Freudlyuchenko to watch Paulinho closely and just see how poor his first touch is. How average his passing is. If watching on TV/online how often you wont see him because he is Jenas reincarnated!

Watch the cheeky bugger pull out that 1 Stoke performance tonight and us to win 6-0!

Sure, he was a quality player in Portugal, and is performing well for Monaco, but I can't help but think there must be a reason why he hasn't signed for a better club over the past couple years. Monaco had a clear out this summer with the owner pulling much of the funding, yet he is still there, playing for a (current) mid-table club in one of Western Europe's more average leagues to attendances of around 5,000.

He is on an astronomical amount tax free

Yeah I mean obviously it's been mythical it raised to one of the most important things to happen in recent memory and we'll never know how much it really would have helped.

But my line of thinking goes like this: Modric was completely irreplaceable. Best player I've ever seen at the club including Bale and King. In Moutinho, we almost lucked into a player that seemed like he could have replaced 80-85% of what Modric did. IMO, that would have been massive for us.

He might like the lifestyle. Seeing as Bale isn't getting as much game time lets bring Bale and Moutinho in January on loans.... oh my god, that would be amazing.
I'm sure he does. He also enjoyed the lifestyle in Portugal. I bet Falcao doesn't enjoy Manchester as much as Monaco, not Hulk enjoy Porto as much as St Petersburg. Lifestyle isn't their primary concern, and if it is, he isn't the player that's going to change our fortunes. We're based in London, not Gaza.

He is on an astronomical amount tax free
Too much for us, sure - but not for a range of other clubs in Europe. Again, if he is that good, he'd have moved on by now I believe. I've not even seen him linked with anyone, not Woolwich, Man Utd during their overhaul, City love a signing, Chelsea have bulked their midfield out in the last year. His name was not mentioned. Liverpool signed Emre fucking Can!! They can all pay his wages.

I didn't see him in the World Cup either.

Yeah I mean obviously it's been mythical it raised to one of the most important things to happen in recent memory and we'll never know how much it really would have helped.

But my line of thinking goes like this: Modric was completely irreplaceable. Best player I've ever seen at the club including Bale and King. In Moutinho, we almost lucked into a player that seemed like he could have replaced 80-85% of what Modric did. IMO, that would have been massive for us.
I agree in some respect, but Moutinho was well-known throughout Europe during his Porto days, so the fact he ended up with Monaco (and the only other club I am aware that was interested in him was us!) tells me that their wasn't that much interest in him.

And I'd question why.

Freudlyuchenko's stat of the day: Paulinho was man of the match in our first and last game of the 2013/14 season. Crystal Palace (A), Aston Villa (H)

Are they his best highlights for a whole season? A bunch of misplaced passes and basic tackles/interceptions? Fuck me, he really did have a poor year didn't he.

Back
Top Bottom