Paulinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well The Prince of WHL really staked a claim for for his place in the first team tonight. The slide rule pass to one of their players was a peach, admittedly he wasn't put under any pressure but surely thats one for the Christmas DVD collection of sweet passes of the season. Mind you, his desire to make the tackle immediately following the pass was stunning, ambling up the their player in possession and dangling out his tree truck of a leg, the way the championship player wafted passed him clearly indicated their player cheated by using hypnosis on him, Clattenburg you absolute cunt for not spotting that. Still it's not like the result was their only fucking shot on target after 86 mins.

If Potch can't see how good he is I'm begging to get very worried, why oh why does him not play him?

Well The Prince of WHL really staked a claim for for his place in the first team tonight. The slide rule pass to one of their players was a peach, admittedly he wasn't put under any pressure but surely thats one for the Christmas DVD collection of sweet passes of the season. Mind you, his desire to make the tackle immediately following the pass was stunning, ambling up the their player in possession and dangling out his tree truck of a leg, the way the championship player wafted passed him clearly indicated their player cheated by using hypnosis on him, Clattenburg you absolute cunt for not spotting that. Still it's not like the result was their only fucking shot on target after 86 mins.

If Potch can't see how good he is I'm begging to get very worried, why oh why does him not play him?

I think the teams speak for themselves, Pochettino is done with Chiriches and Paulinho. Can't blame him.

Right lads realistically how much can we sell him for?
To be perfectly honest I'd rather ever have him out somewhere on loan and have Holtby back. Both average players but Holtby has that bit of personality that endears him to the fans. We will be lucky to get £12m for Paulinho in January so doubt he will be going anywhere

Lets not forget Gomes has the record for least goals conceded at WHL over a season. Mayble we should give Paulinho a chance, super shakey but can do the impossible...... and end up at Watford.
I didn't know that about Gomes, and I didn't know Pauli could do the impossible. Lobby Poch - I have no influence.

What has happened to Paulinho?

The Tottenham midfielder cannot even get into the club's Europa League squad and has flopped since his £17m move to White Hart Lane in 2013

COMMENT
By Greg Stobart

Just a few months ago, Paulinho was a key starter and one of Luiz Felipe Scolari’s undroppable players for Brazil as he carried the hopes of a nation at the World Cup.

Now the midfielder, a marquee £17 million signing in 2013, cannot even get a place in Tottenham’s second-string team and is likely to find himself on the bench for Thursday’s Europa League clash away at Asteras Tripolis.

So just where has it all gone wrong for a player who Spurs signed after beating off interest from European powerhouses including Inter and Chelsea?

The short answer is that he simply isn’t playing well enough, either in training or when he has been given chances to impress under Mauricio Pochettino, being restricted to appearances in the Europa League and League Cup and just 30 minutes of Premier League action.

The Tottenham manager has insisted that Paulinho will not be sold in the January transfer window, but the 26-year-old has spent most matchdays during the early part of the season at the club’s training centre with the rest of the first-team squad members not selected for the 18-man squad.

Etienne Capoue, Ryan Mason, Mousa Dembele, Nabil Bentaleb and Benjamin Stambouli are all currently ahead of Paulinho in the pecking order, and it is difficult to see him breaking into the side any time soon.

562851.jpg

The feeling within the club is that there is hope for Paulinho, but the box-to-box midfielder is still suffering the mental scars from the Brazil’s World Cup failure while he has struggled to adapt to life in England.

Life in England started well enough for the Paulinho, with some bright performances under Andre Villas-Boas - who pushed so hard for his signature - but sources at the club say the Brazilian appeared to ‘down tools’ after the Portuguese’s dismissal in December.

Tim Sherwood felt Paulinho was not committed and was referring to the former Corinthians man when he said: “I know the players I can trust and those I can’t.”

Sherwood wanted to sell Paulinho in the summer, with Chelsea showing an interest in signing him to link up with their Brazilian contingent, but in the wake of the World Cup the Londoners received no serious offers for the player.

Paulinho arrived with a reputation as an all-action midfielder and was voted as the third best player at the Confederations Cup before moving to Tottenham.

His record of eight goals in 37 appearances in all competitions last season was respectable but he never looked comfortable with the speed and intensity of the Premier League.

It meant that Spurs were often overrun and outpassed in midfield as he offered poor defensive protection and his passing lacked creativity.

That was instantly picked up by Pochettino as he reviewed last season’s matches and, after returning late to pre-season following the World Cup, Paulinho immediately found himself on the fringes.

He was dealt a further blow in the summer with the departures of compatriots Heurelho Gomes and Sandro to Watford and QPR, meaning Paulinho is now the only Portuguese-speaking member of the squad.

Paulinho is undergoing regular lessons to improve his limited English and Spurs are continuing to make efforts to help him adapt.

The hope is that if Paulinho can settle mentally, he might still deliver the performances that Tottenham expected when they signed him. But on the evidence so far, you wouldn’t count on it.

:paulinhowtf:

What has happened to Paulinho?

The Tottenham midfielder cannot even get into the club's Europa League squad and has flopped since his £17m move to White Hart Lane in 2013

Why didnt Stobart mention his less than stellar performance in the world cup? was dropped there first, terrible he was, if he'd have shown up in the world cup and put in a performance then we should have had a long look in the mirror but as we saw the year before, he just doesnt offer anything, so strange as was so promising 18 months ago.

Back
Top Bottom