Njie Clinton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

From the little I've seen of him, which is every Spurs game he's played he looks pretty poor to me.

You can't learn touch and he seems to have very little of that. He may have got a bit more time and room in France and maybe this helped him. But even the clubs president we bought him from expressed amazement we bought him for so much money and questioned had we bought the right player. From what I've seen I agree with him.

Time will tell but I'm pretty certain he won't be making the grade in this league for us or for anyone.

Happy to be proved wrong and will come back on here for a prolonged period of self-flagellation if I am.

I suspect my whip will be staying in it's draw though.

In regard to this of course.
You can "learn touch". Working on your technique is possible, believe it or not.

His legs could come in very useful in the run in. Quick, direct...just what defenders don't want late in games towards the end of a season.

Performances like his cameo v. City at home would go down a treat.

I agree with you but I do find the literal idea of someone's legs being useful pretty funny.

Poor Clinton, has hardly played that much yet is being written off from the little we have seen of him. Has he even started any matches yet? He seems to have been used as a sub mainly.

Going by the expert opinions on here, his technique isn't up to scratch and he couldn't trap a ball to save his life. If he was 30 year old I'd be concerned, however he is still young and is still learning his craft. Give the kid a chance perhaps, as mentioned previously a lot of people wrote Bale off before he got moved from left back to left wing.

The important thing is we support our players when they step on to the pitch.

Technique is also heavily linked to confidence, the more you play , the more you feel at ease with yourself and your team the less pressure you will feel. First touches are often the first thing that go away when you start losing confidence. Not saying that with confidence he would be a Berbatov but i do believe that with the right approach he can develop into a more skilled player then the square footed bundle of pace he looks like atm

Poor Clinton, has hardly played that much yet is being written off from the little we have seen of him. Has he even started any matches yet? He seems to have been used as a sub mainly.

Going by the expert opinions on here, his technique isn't up to scratch and he couldn't trap a ball to save his life. If he was 30 year old I'd be concerned, however he is still young and is still learning his craft. Give the kid a chance perhaps, as mentioned previously a lot of people wrote Bale off before he got moved from left back to left wing.

The important thing is we support our players when they step on to the pitch.

He's not a kid, he's 23 this summer, and has 8, yes 8 club career goals to his name.
All I've seen so far is why that record exists, if anyone else has seen anything different I'm all ears.
And are players only allowed to be rated as not all that when they're sold, what's wrong with having an opinion at the time ?

Last edited:
He's not a kid, he's 23 this summer, and has 8, yes 8 club career goals to his name.
All I've seen so far is why that record exists, if anyone else has seen anything different I'm all ears.
And are players only allowed to be rated as not all that when they're sold, what's wrong with having an opinion at the time ?

Your opinion is based on his very few appearances for us, hardly fair is it? So you've seen him play for Lyon under some different coaching. How would you rate Lukaku after his early years at the Chavs? Look at how he's developed. Some fans are so short termist, unless they are elite players straight away they are considered a failure and unable to develop. I'm sure Poch and Mitchell see potential in Clinton and will get something from him.

Your opinion is based on his very few appearances for us, hardly fair is it? So you've seen him play for Lyon under some different coaching. How would you rate Lukaku after his early years at the Chavs? Look at how he's developed. Some fans are so short termist, unless they are elite players straight away they are considered a failure and unable to develop. I'm sure Poch and Mitchell see potential in Clinton and will get something from him.

More interesting that you thought he was a kid, perhaps he'll come good at 32 ?

More interesting that you thought he was a kid, perhaps he'll come good at 32 ?

If I remember correctly players supposedly peak around 28, so still a number of years of development. Not every player is a 'Bale' type who is an instant a hit.... :levyeyes:oh hold on how long was it before certain fans were praising his name?

Surely this argument is pointless until the guy has actually played more than a handful of games. Personally I think he'll be a chadli level squad player. As in not someone you really miss from the line up but good to know he can come in and nick a few goals here and there

He's been out injured with a serious injury after playing a handful of sub games. Impossible to assess him at this stage. If his injury doesn't cause long lasting problems then he could be anywhere from not good enough for us to world class. I liked the look of him from the little we saw and we have a good bunch of people deciding transfers so I think we can hope that he will turn out really good next season, but we just have to wait and see.

If I remember correctly players supposedly peak around 28, so still a number of years of development. Not every player is a 'Bale' type who is an instant a hit.... :levyeyes:oh hold on how long was it before certain fans were praising his name?

Dunno mate, I'm not a ' certain ' fan, surely any idiot could see Bale had talent ?
And as for 28 being the peak, was that the case with Fowler , Rooney and Owen to name but 3 ?

I must admit I do get players wrong though, I thought Son would be good, but he's not good, he's pretty crap.

I must admit I do get players wrong though, I thought Son would be good, but he's not good, he's pretty crap.

...you're not suggesting he was a mere marketing ploy to try and break into the Far Eastern/Asian market??

He's gotta be better than Toda mk.II

...you're not suggesting he was a mere marketing ploy to try and break into the Far Eastern/Asian market??

Maybe we'll see it one day, according to one on here players don't peak till 28, only 4 years to wait.

Newsflash - everyone is different and nobody knows what will happen

Who had Toby down as player of the year when he walked in? Or thought Dele would have England caps?

If the kid has potential we know one thing, Poch will get every bit out of him, can't wait for him to be back as had a dream he would score a massive goal last week of season, and I am over for Soton game

I think he hasn't played enough to be judged, but he could be vital in adding that game-ending sub that has major pace

Dunno mate, I'm not a ' certain ' fan, surely any idiot could see Bale had talent ?
And as for 28 being the peak, was that the case with Fowler , Rooney and Owen to name but 3 ?

Funny, I remember a lot of people getting on Bale's back before his proper break out. I wasn't one of them. I'm happy to give young players the benefit of doubt due to their age and learning especially ones that play for us. It is commonly mentioned about players hitting their physical peak in their late 20s.

In the case of N'Jie we've still not seen enough of him to judge how good or bad he is going to be. However you've already written him off.

There is more to Son, than just being another Toda/marketing tool, Levy doesn't sanction £22m spend on someone to sell shirts. Given another season of playing in the premier league I am sure he will come good, he's already been key to some of our successes but some of you seem to forget that and put him in the written off category.

Last edited:
Funny, I remember a lot of people getting on Bale's back before his proper break out. I wasn't one of them. I'm happy to give young players the benefit of doubt due to their age and learning especially ones that play for us. It is commonly mentioned about players hitting their physical peak in their late 20s.

In the case of N'Jie we've still not seen enough of him to judge how good or bad he is going to be. However you've already written him off.

There is more to Son, than just being another Toda/marketing tool, Levy doesn't sanction £22m spend on someone to sell shirts. Given another season of playing in the premier league I am sure he will come good, he's already been key to some of our successes but some of you seem to forget that and put him in the written off category.

There is an average age of men's physical peak, but it varies a lot both between individuals and between different physical features. Pace and acceleration peaks before stamina and endurance.

Mental attributes, such as maturity and confidence, don't come at a certain age for everyone either. To me it seems Clinton has the physical attributes in place, but he looks almost like he's scared when he's playing.

To me it seems as though he has the physical and technical abilities to be a great player, and he's been very positive, imo, in his decision making. He just need to feel at home, to feel comfortable, as I think that will improve his touch the 10% he needs to make his creative and daring moves come through.

To me he seems very talented. I just hope the injury didn't set him back too much.

Back
Top Bottom