Nabil Bentaleb

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know he's just come back from injury, but there was something about his performance last night that jarred, not just with me either. It was like a type of arrogance without the ability to back it up. Hopefully a one off.
I think it could well have been more a case of tying too hard to pull off something special as he knows he has a huge fight to get back into the team.

Someone with a better memory than me, help me out. I don't seem to remember us playing quite as clearly with the two CB's splitting and the DCM dropping down last season, as we have this season with Toby and Dier coming in?? It was interesting to see that Bentaleb took up that role from Dier from the first minute on, which I don't recall him doing as much last season. Therein lies the problem. Bentaleb is a huuuuge talent, but he has needs to learn that this particalur role and position is not one for trying to flick it over opponents or dribble past them. And learn it quickly.

Someone with a better memory than me, help me out. I don't seem to remember us playing quite as clearly with the two CB's splitting and the DCM dropping down last season, as we have this season with Toby and Dier coming in?? It was interesting to see that Bentaleb took up that role from Dier from the first minute on, which I don't recall him doing as much last season. Therein lies the problem. Bentaleb is a huuuuge talent, but he has needs to learn that this particalur role and position is not one for trying to flick it over opponents or dribble past them. And learn it quickly.
Think it's something that's been worked on behind the scenes. I recall Mason playing as that DM as well last season

I sincerely hope that Bentaleb's absence is nothing more than a blip.
Obviously something has happened to upset Poch...discipline is one thing but ostracizing players is a 'one way street'.
Sometimes there needs to be an 'olive branch'.
Poch's stubborn streak rears it's head again?

Obviously something has happened to upset Poch...discipline is one thing but ostracizing players is a 'one way street'.

Or maybe Poch prefers Dembele and Dier in DM ... I'm inclined to agree with him.

Tbh Dembele was left in the cold for quite a time - and he came back into the fold stronger than ever. I hope Bentaleb's talent won't be wasted.

Or maybe Poch prefers Dembele and Dier in DM ... I'm inclined to agree with him.
Absolutely Stu...those are the two 'go to' players at the moment...no argument.
I'm looking at what we have in reserve should those two 'go to' players not be available for whatever reason.
In other words it doesn't make sense (to me) not to give playing time to Bentaleb, who was a regular fixture last season and, went to a World Cup.

Absolutely Stu...those are the two 'go to' players at the moment...no argument.
I'm looking at what we have in reserve should those two 'go to' players not be available for whatever reason.
In other words it doesn't make sense (to me) not to give playing time to Bentaleb, who was a regular fixture last season and, went to a World Cup.

Rumours are that it was to do with him playing a double header for Algeria in November, he came back with an injury despite advice that he shouldn't play in both.
Poch has sent him to Coventry ever since allegedly.

Rumours are that it was to do with him playing a double header for Algeria in November, he came back with an injury despite advice that he shouldn't play in both.
Poch has sent him to Coventry ever since allegedly.
Well I just hope this isn't a case of Poch 'cutting of his nose to spite his face'....not the first time is it, regardless of whether it's justified or not.

Well I just hope this isn't a case of Poch 'cutting of his nose to spite his face'....not the first time is it, regardless of whether it's justified or not.

Maybe not but if it is true and he went against orders then you can understand why measures have been taken.
Of course we never know the full details but i'm sure Poch knows what he's doing, well I hope he does anyway.

I hope he's back soon. He was a standout performer for much of last season, and his alleged poor run at the start of the season was 1 game.

“But we keep a very good relationship between Nabil and us and, if he works like he has done in the last few weeks, he will always have the facility to play and show his real qualities. I think it’s only about time to show again that he deserves to play. It’s always about football decisions and performance.”

Important difference in what's quoted on here and what the quote looks like posted by Ben Pearce on H&H and Lyall Thomas on Sky Sports.

With Poch's coaching style and his clear out of all the 'unsavoury' characters last summer it is not surprising that he and Bentaleb won't always see eye to eye.

I just really hope it doesn't get in the way of his career at Spurs as he is one of our best prospects on paper. Still so young, with Prem and WC experience. He has shown that he gives 100% on the pitch, I just hope he can do the same on the training ground!

Why do people assume Bentaleb is somewhat of a bad character around the club? I've only ever seen a player that gives 100% and demands 100%. Someone who cared an awful lot more than 99% of the dross that's played in his position for us before him. There was even quotes saying that he and Kane were the one digging players out in the dressing room when they didn't give their all.

Back
Top Bottom