Monaco away

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One word...

Erik Lamela.

200.gif

Apparently there's been some trouble in the bars of Monaco ahead of tonight's game...

...someone was served an Espresso, but had ordered a Macchiato... there were coffee cups flying everywhere!

For reference, the only English side, so far, to have not been eliminated from the Champions League in the group stages in one of their first two appearances are Chelsea.

All of the following teams were eliminated at this stage once in their first two appearances:

Manchester United
Newcastle United
Leeds United
Liverpool

The following team was eliminated at this stage in their only appearance:

Blackburn Rovers

The following team was eliminated at this stage in BOTH their first two appearances:

Woolwich

You doom and gloomers try to pretend we're different to those sides and we have some god given right to get through a group, but we aren't. Just like the clubs mentioned above when they first qualified, we're vastly inexperienced at this level currently and need consistent qualification to learn at this level and become stalwarts. In fact, most were stronger and better resourced than we are currently and not going through widespread changes throughout the club.

For further reference, when Woolwich used Wembley they were knocked out at the group stages both times. So Wembley is obviously a major issue. It isn't home and it never will be.

Even when you become a stalwart of the competition there is no guarantee. The following teams have been knocked out at the group stages in the last six years:

Juventus
Atletico
Liverpool (twice)
Manchester City
Manchester United (twice)
Chelsea
Porto (twice)

The fact of the matter is we're walking a well trodden path with the Champions League, a path trodden by far bigger clubs than us, a path that is never going to be easy and will have more failure than glory. Like nearly every other club has experienced. We've experienced both in our two forays in this competition and I'd suggest we'll learn more from this failure than the previous ''success'' of a QF run culminating in a Real Madrid tie.

We aren't going to be some anomaly like Chelsea who bought their way to success and are seen as the runt of the elite.

Give the guys a fucking break with your negative, entitled bullshit. The group isn't easy, none at this level are. To think that is to only showcase your arrogance.

Hopefully we're back here next year, one year older and wiser.

It was a poor performance and we were beaten by a better side on the night

So fucking what

It happens now get over it and stop melting

You know who you are

Tossers
Sorry this is bollocks. A one off and I would agree with you. But we have been consistently bad throughout the competition and lukewarm in the the league for the best part of two months. Recognising that is not melting as it's asking if there's a problem. Not every expression of concern is a "melt".

Every Spurs fan should be embarrassed of that whole Champions League campaign, I certainly am.

Players should be too. Qualified last season in one of the worst Premier League campaigns in history, which provided us with our easiest chance to qualify and we get there and fuck it up by constantly resting key players. Awful.

Poch should feel worse today than he did after that 5-1 loss to Newcastle.

We've been utter fucking shite in a competition that is apparently the holy grail for all players.

They've looked jaded and lacked any kind of urgency the majority of the time. Yet if you complain about those facts then you're being a "melter"

Do fuck off.

So Wembley was to blame 'cos 85,000 fans were TOO many and our players felt the pressure...
Tonight there are half a dozen in the ground...
Who's to blame now?

Were the 5 Monaco ULTRAS really too much for us tonight?

What was the point of Lloris' match winning performance....? it got us NOWHERE!

FUCKING BOLLOCKS SPURS.
FUCK OFF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE...
don't bother qualifying if you're not gonna take it fucking seriously.

Fuck it.

Couldn't agree more. why is it voicing a negative concern is considered melting (even if not always expressed in an eloquent manner) and yet being a fucking naive happy clapper is perfectly acceptable.
The problem is that it's become "the thing" to accuse anyone frustrated of melting - but the fact is that most don't even know what melting is actually meant to mean, namely an irrational reaction to a single or couple of bad results. There is nothing irrational about saying our entire CL campaign was shit at the same time as our league form is patchy. That's simply observing a pattern.

This is worse than AVB. At least then you could say, yeah, we've bought too many players and they're struggling to adapt. Yeah, at least we have a good defence and although we don't score it's largely down to Soldado/new players.

We don't even have a good defence anymore. 4 goals in 2 games. We've conceded at least 1 goal in our past 7 games.

What happened to the clean sheets, the pressing, the being difficult to break down? Toby is injured, fine. But why have we abandoned everything that made us so good last year?

This is probably the worst Tottenham period I can remember in 6+ years.
really?
have you already forgotten abject, gutless thrashings in the sherwood/avb season?
Away at chelsea, falling apart whilst our "manager "sat in the directors box and played with his phone?

i aint forgotten that

Fucking dreadful bit I wasn't surprised. Especially after seeing the line up.
3/4 of our first choice back 4 were out. No wonder we looked totally and utterly disorganized at the back.

I love poch, but I still think he's trying to work out how to juggle multiple competitions. Apart from the league cup run where we mostly played shite until the final, his record is not particularly great. I honestly done know why.

And he needs to find a way to be able to play his strongest 11 2-3 times in a week. We are not good enough to be resting our best players In a competition like this.

As for the game, that was one of the first times I've seen us physically beasted since poch arrived. They were all over dembele and on the wings they just tore through us. They were a team of absolute monsters.

That said. That cunt should have walked for stamping on Kane's arse. It was right in front of the ref too.

Back
Top Bottom