Monaco away

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We're not ready for Europe at all.
Agree. However, the question is why not ? Dortmund last year was something we were supposed to see our young players learn from "analyze, yes yes improve" :pochrolleyes:
Yet 8 months and 5 games later evidence suggests FUCK all has been done to learn and improve....

Poch has form for some awful European performances and simply baffling selection choices. My only conclusion is that no one gives a fuck really as the Premier League is all that matters ? Otherwise it's just plan incompetence, which is surely not the case ?

& Anyone remember when Christin Eriksen was a professional footballer ?

Yeah, I'll give you Wanyama he's been a good signing but we haven't added any real quality, we haven't improved our squad. We've chosen to spend 40m on two unproven players in Sissoko and N'koudou when we could've put that money towards players like Mane. It's absolutely crazy what happened this summer
Yes and for that window I think a few apologies are due to John Thomas John Thomas
Got slated relentlessly for not being enamoured with our transfer window.

Chickens have come home to roost now. I said to people where I am in the world... only sell Chadli if we improve his position, we'll we haven't.

Sissoko, I don't know. Seems to play better in CM over the years. But that said, glad Winks is getting an opportunity.

Janssen, I'm in the be patient camp but yeah at present it's not looking good is it.

Eriksen out of form is the most annoying. He's got Ozil level ability on form but shows it nowhere near enough.

It feels like Poch is the man when it comes to defence. Byt he's pretty clueless in offense.]

This is the nub of the matter for me. Poch has got a good system and approach for 2/3 of the pitch, and that carried us a long way last year. But he seems to have zero creative offensive ideas, and the players have to make them up for themselves on the spot. The quality of their decision-making etc etc got us the other 1/3 last season. Not Poch.

Now this year we have Ali's 2nd season syndrome, Kane's injury and general lack of a proper break etc etc. You can fill in the rest.

What leapt out at me watching both Monaco and Leverkusen was that they had both a team plan and an offensive game plan. So when the players got the ball in the final third, they knew what to do without having to spend vital seconds thinking about it. You could literally see our players little brains ticking once they had the ball - 'duh, what now ?'

This also relates to the general minimal use of through balls (not as bad as with AVB of course, but I can see why many are sensing the similarities this year (and it was like that when Poch first arrived too).

It simply looks like they are not being coached to make those runs, and when they happen, it's usually down to the individual's initiative on the night, and hoping someone spots him. It's not part of a game plan per se.

Worse (and I'm not ready to believe this yet) it may even be that that initiative is being coached out of them.

Add to this Poch's distrust of wingers and the creativity they can bring, this all means that I dont think we will progress beyond our current level until all this is addressed. No matter who we buy !

Just to end on a positive, albeit bizarre note - our best pass of the night was Janssen's amazing ball to Erikson which resulted in his shot that was cleared from near the goaline with the goalie beaten. Good to know he has that in his locker !

Yes and for that window I think a few apologies are due to John Thomas John Thomas
Got slated relentlessly for not being enamoured with our transfer window.

Chickens have come home to roost now. I said to people where I am in the world... only sell Chadli if we improve his position, we'll we haven't.

Sissoko, I don't know. Seems to play better in CM over the years. But that said, glad Winks is getting an opportunity.

Janssen, I'm in the be patient camp but yeah at present it's not looking good is it.

Eriksen out of form is the most annoying. He's got Ozil level ability on form but shows it nowhere near enough.
...and how come he suddenly cannot even kick a ball, his free kicks, corners etc are shite.
I actually panic evertime we get a set piece as we will be on he defence 3-secs later

I was hoping Eriksen's new contract would get his form going in the right direction. Sadly not the case. Plus he pressing nobody like our boy Lamela who is missed in the worse way. Lynchpin of that press for sure.

That Champions league group was always going to be difficult. It's our 2nd time in the competition after the 1st was better than we ever could have dreamed.

It's a learning experience and one our very young squad will grow from. It's the highest quality competition in the world. Some of the entitlement being shown around here that we're just gonna walk the group is silly.

Do you know how many big sides have fallen at the group stages in recent years? In groups less difficult than ours.

Fuck me, Woolwich have been in this competition for over a decade and have maybe had 3 good runs.

A lot of captain hindsights around here.

Oh, and criticising Poch's broken English when he said "maybe disappointed" is a real grasp.

On to Chelsea and revenge.

Last edited:
So we spunk 30 million and apparently 100k a week on an utterly unbothered cunt who essentially went on strike at a relegated Newcastle and 17 million and I guess around 60k a week on Jannsen but our first choice (supposedly) Michy Batshuayi was beyond us?

How does that work?
Go support Real then you tool

Racist scum whoever posted that - how can you even claim to be Spurs and post such shit on here? Do you even it think people can't see through your Roma trolling face?

Sad times for TFC when half the regulars posters support other teams and only come here to troll during games

For reference, the only English side, so far, to have not been eliminated from the Champions League in the group stages in one of their first two appearances are Chelsea.

All of the following teams were eliminated at this stage once in their first two appearances:

Manchester United
Newcastle United
Leeds United
Liverpool

The following team was eliminated at this stage in their only appearance:

Blackburn Rovers

The following team was eliminated at this stage in BOTH their first two appearances:

Woolwich

You doom and gloomers try to pretend we're different to those sides and we have some god given right to get through a group, but we aren't. Just like the clubs mentioned above when they first qualified, we're vastly inexperienced at this level currently and need consistent qualification to learn at this level and become stalwarts. In fact, most were stronger and better resourced than we are currently and not going through widespread changes throughout the club.

For further reference, when Woolwich used Wembley they were knocked out at the group stages both times. So Wembley is obviously a major issue. It isn't home and it never will be.

Even when you become a stalwart of the competition there is no guarantee. The following teams have been knocked out at the group stages in the last six years:

Juventus
Atletico
Liverpool (twice)
Manchester City
Manchester United (twice)
Chelsea
Porto (twice)

The fact of the matter is we're walking a well trodden path with the Champions League, a path trodden by far bigger clubs than us, a path that is never going to be easy and will have more failure than glory. Like nearly every other club has experienced. We've experienced both in our two forays in this competition and I'd suggest we'll learn more from this failure than the previous ''success'' of a QF run culminating in a Real Madrid tie.

We aren't going to be some anomaly like Chelsea who bought their way to success and are seen as the runt of the elite.

Give the guys a fucking break with your negative, entitled bullshit. The group isn't easy, none at this level are. To think that is to only showcase your arrogance.

Hopefully we're back here next year, one year older and wiser.

<snip>
Give the guys a fucking break with your negative, entitled bullshit. The group isn't easy, none at this level are. To think that is to only showcase your arrogance.

Hopefully we're back here next year, one year older and wiser.

Great post - good to see some perspective, instead of a bunch of children trying to outdo each other with their cutting edge footballing analysis.

The ground is full of whiners and moaners who bad mouth the people on the pitch and this place has plenty of bell ends that wouldn't know how to support a football team if their life depended on it. Everyone recognises the value that supporters bring to a match and the teams performance, but auditioning for MOTD seems to be more important than actually encouraging the (human beings) players on the pitch to raise their game.

I realise the players can't hear these posts, but what the whiny pants brigade (jayc1, Totti, the Dane etc etc) need to understand is that we are not blind and we don't need their asinine commentary highlighting the failings of the team that are blatantly obvious to anyone with a minimum of one functioning eyeball.

These people need to heed a couple of truisms. When we are all suffering, with what we can see in a game - If you have nothing good to say, then say nothing.
The other being - Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and to remove all doubt.

cue accusations of "board police" and "you can't tell me what to say"
yawn

Great post - good to see some perspective, instead of a bunch of children trying to outdo each other with their cutting edge footballing analysis.

The ground is full of whiners and moaners who bad mouth the people on the pitch and this place has plenty of bell ends that wouldn't know how to support a football team if their life depended on it. Everyone recognises the value that supporters bring to a match and the teams performance, but auditioning for MOTD seems to be more important than actually encouraging the (human beings) players on the pitch to raise their game.

I realise the players can't hear these posts, but what the whiny pants brigade (jayc1, Totti, the Dane etc etc) need to understand is that we are not blind and we don't need their asinine commentary highlighting the failings of the team that are blatantly obvious to anyone with a minimum of one functioning eyeball.

These people need to heed a couple of truisms. When we are all suffering, with what we can see in a game - If you have nothing good to say, then say nothing.
The other being - Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and to remove all doubt.

cue accusations of "board police" and "you can't tell me what to say"
yawn
You can't tell me what to say, man.

obama_mic_drop.gif

I think it will be very interesting to see how Pochettino addresses a very obvious skills gap within our squad.

Skill and competency gap I would suggest. Sometimes it is just momentum that sees you through whether it be in the league or cup competitions but this season we just look short of the necessary quality on top of many of our players not hitting their best as yet.

One of the biggest qualities of Sir Alex Ferguson was to learn the lessons from his failures and to move players on whose development or style of football had stopped or stifled the team. I think we have one or two in that bracket, as well as needing someone of greater quality to force up improvement in other players. Bake did that BUT also hindered other players in some respects but we need that kind of crazy ability.

We still miss an on-field leader, a striker who has quality and pace (not easy to find I know) and a certain belief, which may or should come.

All our failure in the Champions LEAGUE has shown is that the Premier League although exciting and often edge of the seat stuff, still lacks a depth of quality or that its demands take too much out of the teams that vie for the top spots.

We have been undone but still have a good squad. Maybe just not as good as we thought.

Pochettino has got us to a good standard. Now he has to show he can take us beyond that which is why winning a domestic cup or even getting to a final is so crucial.

Last edited:
I deliberately avoided the forum after last night's game because I knew the cockroaches would come out of the woodwork. Lo and behold it seems that is the case. Can these fuckers please go and support some other plastic team that suits their personality better.

I deliberately avoided the forum after last night's game because I knew the cockroaches would come out of the woodwork. Lo and behold it seems that is the case. Can these fuckers please go and support some other plastic team that suits their personality better.
Piss off, quote the posts you find so disgusting then

Back
Top Bottom