Monaco away

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Haha I wish..

I have seen some horror seasons including Christian Gross.. I was in Sheffield when we got spanked 6-0 in the early 90's plus many more.
The difference between those years an recent is - the expectations were nowhere near as high.. We were a mid table side most of the time so a win was a bonus..We were always a good cup side.
Now we are an established top4 side we are expected to win a damn sight more.
That season under AVB was the least enjoyable I have encountered.
I remember dreading going to games when Man City were in town or Liverpool, knowing we would get spanked.
Losing 3 times to West Ham was as unacceptable as possibly could be..
I hated going that season and that is wrong..That's why I get defensive when I hear people moaning during every game, people have such short memories.

Hahaha - I apologise, you might be older than me then if you were going to mid week away games in Sheffield in 1993, that would have been a school night for me.

Ahh at least after that 6-0 tonking at Sheffield Utd on the mid week, we went and won 4-2 at Man City in what was probably one of the greatest FA Cup quarter finals - a match that had everything.

Your right about expectations rising and during the AVB/Sherwood era I tried to put it into perspective, my biggest fear is always going back to how it was during the Sugar years. The way I see that since 2004 we have had 3 good managers Jol, Redknapp & Poch and each one has managed to take the team further and each time raise the bar of expectation up one notch. In between them we had the blips of Ramos/ AVB.

I assume then that you weren't the guy behind me at Wembley the other week who bellowed out that 'it was better under AVB' ?

:pochwtf:

Haha I wish..

I have seen some horror seasons including Christian Gross.. I was in Sheffield when we got spanked 6-0 in the early 90's plus many more.
The difference between those years an recent is - the expectations were nowhere near as high.. We were a mid table side most of the time so a win was a bonus..We were always a good cup side.
I remember dreading going to games when Man City were in town or Liverpool, knowing we would get spanked.
I hated going that season and that is wrong..That's why I get defensive when I hear people moaning during every game, people have such short memories.
I suppose there is a difference between your individual subjective worst season, and the worst Spurs team. Because that Sherwood/AVB team would likely have beaten many of the previous Spurs teams. However, this doesn't mean you didn't enjoy it the least.

My worst was probably 96/97. We were abysmal that year. Our cup runs involved one game against Man Utd in the FA Cup, and a 6-1 thrashing at Bolton in the league cup. There was little desire from the players that season, a lot less than under Sherwood. We lost to Woolwich, West Ham and Chelsea twice, and got thrashed 7-1 at Newcastle.

But the worst Spurs team I've seen was probably that under Christian Gross, when we nearly got relegated.

Personally I quite enjoyed the AVB/Sherwood season...some decent away trips. Though not as enjoyable as other recent seasons when we competed more on the pitch.

Hahaha - I apologise, you might be older than me then if you were going to mid week away games in Sheffield in 1993, that would have been a school night for me.

Ahh at least after that 6-0 tonking at Sheffield Utd on the mid week, we went and won 4-2 at Man City in what was probably one of the greatest FA Cup quarter finals - a match that had everything.

Your right about expectations rising and during the AVB/Sherwood era I tried to put it into perspective, my biggest fear is always going back to how it was during the Sugar years. The way I see that since 2004 we have had 3 good managers Jol, Redknapp & Poch and each one has managed to take the team further and each time raise the bar of expectation up one notch. In between them we had the blips of Ramos/ AVB.

I assume then that you weren't the guy behind me at Wembley the other week who bellowed out that 'it was better under AVB' ?

:pochwtf:

I don't think AVB was our worst manager it was just that season in Particular..I almost fell out of love with the club and that bothered me.. I was calling for his head which is not like me at all.
I commented after the Man City game regarding the difference between playing a top man city side under Poch and a Man City side under AVB.. One, I couldn't wait for the game to end and one I didn't want to end.

I suppose there is a difference between your individual subjective worst season, and the worst Spurs team. Because that Sherwood/AVB team would likely have beaten many of the previous Spurs teams. However, this doesn't mean you didn't enjoy it the least.

My worst was probably 96/97. We were abysmal that year. Our cup runs involved one game against Man Utd in the FA Cup, and a 6-1 thrashing at Bolton in the league cup. There was little desire from the players that season, a lot less than under Sherwood. We lost to Woolwich, West Ham and Chelsea twice, and got thrashed 7-1 at Newcastle.

But the worst Spurs team I've seen was probably that under Christian Gross, when we nearly got relegated.

Personally I quite enjoyed the AVB/Sherwood season...some decent away trips. Though not as enjoyable as other recent seasons when we competed more on the pitch.

Agreed that was one mind numbing season - Going to the lane was dire knowing that the only highlight would be watching Rosenthal tripping over his own feet in the last 5 mins. I think we never won more than 2 games on the trot that year and Sheringham or Armstrong were top scorers with about 6 goals.
Bolton was just embarrassing as they were in 2nd tier at the time.

The highlight for me that year was probably Paxton going nuts when Dozzell got an 85th winner against Wimbledon in the all important crunch battle for 10th in the league game! - that's how bad it was.

Bolton was just embarrassing as they were in 2nd tier at the time

I was living & working in Bolton at that time. Went to the game, stayed to the bitter end. Pissing with rain as only it can do in Bolton. The most miserable night of my life supporting Spurs & the days that followed were fucking grim too with all the Bolton fans I had to contend with. What a bunch of cunts they were.

I was living & working in Bolton at that time. Went to the game, stayed to the bitter end. Pissing with rain as only it can do in Bolton. The most miserable night of my life supporting Spurs & the days that followed were fucking grim too with all the Bolton fans I had to contend with. What a bunch of cunts they were.

I seem to recall the serial shoe watcher Gerry Francis coming out after that game and stating something like none of my teams have every lost by 5 goals before.

A month later we got smashed 7-1 away to Newcastle and his post match interview was.... none of my teams have ever lost by 6 goals before!

:pochfacepalm:

I seem to recall the serial shoe watcher Gerry Francis coming out after that game and stating something like none of my teams have every lost by 5 goals before.

A month later we got smashed 7-1 away to Newcastle and his post match interview was.... none of my teams have ever lost by 6 goals before!

:pochfacepalm:
Yep. Horrible flashbacks to those times is a good reminder that, in Spurs terms, we are doing rather better recently-even taking into account last night's misery.

I just hope the CL debacle doesn't spill over into their heads enough to think " why should we bust a gut in the PL to make top 4 if this is the result?"

Poch needs to make sure this isn't the case.

Fair point. However, none of these results remotely compare to the final game of last season
agreed. but never said they did. just pointed out that anyone that thinks last nights performance was out worst in 6 years has a short memory. you've kinda made my point.
it happens. it happens to the gooners on occasion, to man utd , to city (at our hands), gutless performances like that (newcastle) happen occasionally. and these days for us, with much less frequency. (remember 6 away to sheffield fucking united? 6 at home to the chavs before the russian?)
Monaco dumped the gooners out a couple of years back (winning 3-1 at the death star). They are clearly a pretty good unit.

Like I said..last night was a fucking world apart from those sorts of games

Our CL run under Harry was phenomenal.....story book almost. I admit I was hoping for a return of that magic as I'm sure most were. I even dared to think to myself "Champions League is where we always shine".....lol, after one go at it 6 years ago.

We had a bad run. The reasons are myriad but I'm backing MoPo.

Haha I wish..

ahhh..west ham and their "the treble " T shirt that year. at least the world got to see what a small time shitbox club they are

I forgot to say last night that while obviously disappointing (and some real howlers of moments) I thought the overall performance was a lot better than against Leverkusen, which was so confusingly and disgracefully shit it was just embarrassing that it was being televised across europe. It was the worst performance from a football team I'd seen since... England v Iceland, actually. So not that long ago.

For reference, the only English side, so far, to have not been eliminated from the Champions League in the group stages in one of their first two appearances are Chelsea.

All of the following teams were eliminated at this stage once in their first two appearances:

Manchester United
Newcastle United
Leeds United
Liverpool

The following team was eliminated at this stage in their only appearance:

Blackburn Rovers

The following team was eliminated at this stage in BOTH their first two appearances:

Woolwich

You doom and gloomers try to pretend we're different to those sides and we have some god given right to get through a group, but we aren't. Just like the clubs mentioned above when they first qualified, we're vastly inexperienced at this level currently and need consistent qualification to learn at this level and become stalwarts. In fact, most were stronger and better resourced than we are currently and not going through widespread changes throughout the club.

For further reference, when Woolwich used Wembley they were knocked out at the group stages both times. So Wembley is obviously a major issue. It isn't home and it never will be.

Even when you become a stalwart of the competition there is no guarantee. The following teams have been knocked out at the group stages in the last six years:

Juventus
Atletico
Liverpool (twice)
Manchester City
Manchester United (twice)
Chelsea
Porto (twice)

The fact of the matter is we're walking a well trodden path with the Champions League, a path trodden by far bigger clubs than us, a path that is never going to be easy and will have more failure than glory. Like nearly every other club has experienced. We've experienced both in our two forays in this competition and I'd suggest we'll learn more from this failure than the previous ''success'' of a QF run culminating in a Real Madrid tie.

We aren't going to be some anomaly like Chelsea who bought their way to success and are seen as the runt of the elite.

Give the guys a fucking break with your negative, entitled bullshit. The group isn't easy, none at this level are. To think that is to only showcase your arrogance.

Hopefully we're back here next year, one year older and wiser.

Well said.

I remember my Nan waking me up to tell me that 6:1 Bolton score. I nearly cried. 28 years old I was etc.

Was the first Christian Gross season the one where our only win by more than one goal was 3:0 against Barnsley? I think that was the first year I went to the Lane. No idea why I decided to stick around!

EDIT: I just looked it up, we won by more than one a few times but my word what a shit season. (6:2 against Wimbledon with 4 Klinsmann goals was the actual highlight.)

Back
Top Bottom