Monaco away

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I take it you are having a laugh?, we won't win the league, and they won't either, in the meantime they got to decide whether to wish for a winnable tie in CL knock out or a glamour match with Real Madrid /Bayern Munich.
If we were 15th in the league we could easily make top 6, so yes, I would swap in an instant.

IF Sissoko doesn't like playing at Wembley - and according to the press a lot of the team have privately expressed their displeasures - as it doesn't feel like home, then I feel we are in for a fucking hard season next year.
What happens if we qualify for CL again too, are we going to get the same bollocks? Forget moving into our new stadium as a trying season.
Maybe next season will be the biggest in our history if it's true and a lot are not up for playing there.
I am actually quite concerned about it now.

IF Sissoko doesn't like playing at Wembley - and according to the press a lot of the team have privately expressed their displeasures - as it doesn't feel like home, then I feel we are in for a fucking hard season next year.
What happens if we qualify for CL again too, are we going to get the same bollocks? Forget moving into our new stadium as a trying season.
Maybe next season will be the biggest in our history if it's true and a lot are not up for playing there.
Melter. you aren't allowed to see potential problems & make plans to combat them or else you are a melt!
& if we do struggle playing there next season, I will rant about hindsight despite the fact you mentioned it well before!
Anyway, I do agree this could be an issue next season & we should start working on ways to prevent it becoming a hindrance.
The players clearly do not play well at wembley or like it. It could turn in to a 'lets just get through it' type of season.

Melter. you aren't allowed to see potential problems & make plans to combat them or else you are a melt!
& if we do struggle playing there next season, I will rant about hindsight despite the fact you mentioned it well before!
Anyway, I do agree this could be an issue next season & we should start working on ways to prevent it becoming a hindrance.
The players clearly do not play well at wembley or like it. It could turn in to a 'lets just get through it' type of season.
little bitch

Arx7WwLCQAAvlJR.jpg:large

Last edited:
Very difficult to challenge on two fronts. Ultimately we need to have a squad that's capable of doing this. There's little point playing the "first eleven" in every game because it isn't sustainable. We need to accept we will play our squad players in important games- when better players are fit- sometimes. All the top sides do it.

The problem is, it's only worth prioritising the league if we think we can win it. Otherwise (as has been discussed ad infinitum) it just becomes a case of "sacrificing the CL in order to be in the CL so we can sacrifice it again etc". Not that I think Poch necessarily made the wrong calls; I don't know what we should have done. We could yet be in the title race, and we probably had/have more chance to win that than the CL.

If we're out of the title race in the new year, I'd like to see us play a full strength team in the FA Cup (and/or the EL) rather than prioritise top four.

The financial implications of finishing in the CL spots needs to be considered. Not that i'm saying we should aspire to be like them - but the scum have been qualifying for the CL year after year, without getting anywhere near winning it, and it considerably improves their financial profile.

I was living & working in Bolton at that time. Went to the game, stayed to the bitter end. Pissing with rain as only it can do in Bolton. The most miserable night of my life supporting Spurs & the days that followed were fucking grim too with all the Bolton fans I had to contend with. What a bunch of cunts they were.

Kudos for staying until the end!!

I always do but it was tested in the early 80s when we lost 0-4 to the Spammers with that carthorse David Cross scoring all 4!!!

Ray Clemence
had a mare

Dark days!

I don't think Sissoko likes playing for any team that aren't France (or possibly Woolwich, maybe he'll get to find out one day).

I agree though and I'm apprehensive about the Wembley move too. I didn't really factor how much it was going to motivate other teams who will maybe never get another chance to play there. Every game is suddenly going to become a cup final. I don't know what other options there were, as MK Dons seemed like a terrible idea, and another London club was unlikely to allow us to groundshare with them (although West Spam should have had no right to refuse us, to be honest - but it's not like a year in that dump would have been something to relish).

They better get used to it as we will be playing 19 homes games, maybe some Cup games and, depending if we qualify or have to qualify, 3 European games at least.
Then, hopefully, moving into a stadium that will also be unfamiliar to them and take while to feel like 'home'

Kudos for staying until the end!!

I always do but it was tested in the early 80s when we lost 0-4 to the Spammers with that carthorse David Cross scoring all 4!!!

Ray Clemence
had a mare

Dark days!
In fairness, the (then) wife was pregnant & standing in the pissing rain for 2 hours was marginally preferable to listening to her woes about what a bad day it had been...again. Silver linings etc.

The financial implications of finishing in the CL spots needs to be considered. Not that i'm saying we should aspire to be like them - but the scum have been qualifying for the CL year after year, without getting anywhere near winning it, and it considerably improves their financial profile.
To be honest, regardless of what we think about it, I'm sure this fact will be reflected in the teams we put out in league and cup games. As a fan, I'd rather go for the glory of a trophy than top four, especially now that we have qualified for the CL a couple of times and had that experience. In particular I'd really like a good old fashioned FA Cup run. But the club will no doubt be thinking of the financial rewards.

Will this help us in the long-term? Possibly. At the moment our best chance of winning the league, ironically, is if we have a season without Europe (like chavs and scousers right now) but in the long-term it could be if we manage to qualify for CL every year, improve our finances, our squad, pay higher wages. On the other hand, this could land us in an Woolwich-like situation of top four stagnation, which- from the outside- does not look fun, even if they are technically speaking more successful than us.

you really don't get it - do you?
YOU - DO NOT - HAVE - A GIFT - FOR - SEEING - THINGS - THAT - THE - REST - OF - US - DON'T.

You're just a whiny chump

its different

On the other hand, this could land us in an Woolwich-like situation of top four stagnation, which- from the outside- does not look fun, even if they are technically speaking more successful than us.

Nah, we'll never be as badly run as they are with only one guy in charge.

You put two world class players like Ozil and Sanchez into our squad and we'd walk the league.

(possibly)

I think the problem with us having a period lower down the league not qualifying for europe to free us up for focusing on the league is that we don't really have the profile of Chelsea and Liverpool and our ability to attract (and keep!) players capable of mounting a title challenge is a lot more precarious and based on us being up there in the league consistently. If we go back to finishing 9th each season the level of players we'll be able to recruit will go down accordingly and we'll be stuck unless we start spending very big, which isn't something we really do.

you really don't get it - do you?
YOU - DO NOT - HAVE - A GIFT - FOR - SEEING - THINGS - THAT - THE - REST - OF - US - DON'T.

You're just a whiny chump

its different
All you do is whine about other posters whilst trying desperately hard to fit in & be liked by strangers on an internet forum.
Your need to be liked & fit in has obviously taken its toll on you.
At 58 you really should be past all that high school stuff.

Don't bother replying. You're on ignore now.
You can whinge all night about someone else instead.
Or chat to baz. He has as much hate inside of him oozing out too. He likes to inflict hate on women too. Carry on going around looking for people to post hateful messages too.
whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:
I take it you are having a laugh?, we won't win the league, and they won't either, in the meantime they got to decide whether to wish for a winnable tie in CL knock out or a glamour match with Real Madrid /Bayern Munich.
If we were 15th in the league we could easily make top 6, so yes, I would swap in an instant.
If we finish in the top 4 then it will be fine that we went out straight away.
If we don't, then obviously it would have been better getting to the knockout stages like leicester.

All you do is whine about other posters whilst trying desperately hard to fit in & be liked by strangers on an internet forum.
Your need to be liked & fit in has obviously taken its toll on you.
At 58 you really should be past all that high school stuff.

Don't bother replying. You're on ignore now.
You can whinge all night about someone else instead.
Or chat to baz. He has as much hate inside of him oozing out too. Carry on going around looking for people to post hateful messages too.
whatever floats your boat.
Haha, you used that exact same speech to me when you got the ump as well. ''you need to be liked'', ''strangers on a forum''. Lol @ ''high school stuff'' with your petty passive aggressive messages littering the board because you haven't got the stones to just say it.

You're the guy that leaves notes on the fridge at work, aren't you?

Passive aggressive whinging tart.

Apologies if it's been covered already, but who the fuck will go to Wembley for the final game against CSKA after tuesday's result and, more pertinently, can we throw the game - and thus end the prospect of EL bullshit - without making it too obvious? Of course, with our form so far in CL being so embaressingly hopeless a negative result wouldn't come as a surprise anyway.

Back
Top Bottom