Lewis Holtby

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He was great. But that engine still only lasts 45 mins. Him and bentaleb looks promising. Lots of energy but I noticed bentaleb was not happy with some of the passes he was recieving from holtby. A few hospital balls etc.

Bentaleb was absolute gash against Shalke. His pass completion must have been woeful.

I think it was more a case of Holtby being unimpressed with the linkup with Bentaleb, and Bentaleb arguing back tbh.

So then, this Holtby lad.

There can be no denying that the lad has worked his socks off to impress this pre season, especially against Schalke. Nailed on to start against West Spam do we think?

There can be no denying that the lad has worked his socks off to impress this pre season, especially against Schalke. Nailed on to start against West Spam do we think?

Can't see any other possibility at this point, unless the WC'ers are brought up to speed this week in training. I'm clearly a big Holtby fan, but I certainly would've preferred one of the bigger fellas for this match. However, I'm not sure they're up to snuff just yet in terms of match fitness, and Lewis has indeed looked damn good in preseason.

I think it possible that if he can make it his own personal business in defense to shut down Noble, and let Capoue handle Spam's inevitable aerial attack to the big'uns, Holtby's mismatch in terms of physicality can be overcome.

I hope so. I don't buy this 'west ham have all these great big clumpers so we have to match them' bollocks. West Ham know this style of football better than us. We should do want they would like least, and play our creative players in midfield with Holtby and whoever looking to win the 2nd balls that will be available from their inevitable aerial bombardment.

I hope so. I don't buy this 'west ham have all these great big clumpers so we have to match them' bollocks. West Ham know this style of football better than us. We should do want they would like least, and play our creative players in midfield with Holtby and whoever looking to win the 2nd balls that will be available from their inevitable aerial bombardment.

I dig your main idea here, and indeed the core point of Poch's tactics is to pin the opposition back with forward passing such that we don't allow them to do their thing. But it will come, and as of this moment we're not sorted at CB, which is why I favor a more physical holding CM partnership for this one.

Good point though nonetheless, and I hope my concerns look dumb this weekend as I do at this point believe we'll roll out with Holtby alongside Capoue. Holtby playing the first 70 or so and then replaced by Bentaleb after sitting on a lead along with some introduction of late speed up front in the form of Townsend sounds pretty sweet to me.

Bentaleb was absolute gash against Shalke. His pass completion must have been woeful.

I think it was more a case of Holtby being unimpressed with the linkup with Bentaleb, and Bentaleb arguing back tbh.

The flashpoint was a nailed on (Rose style) hospital ball from Holtby shot hard at Bentaleb where he was crowded out with no cover behind him. He didn't even lose the ball. He just barked at him how risky it was (and it was).

It was also nice to see Rose do his patented pass into touch under no pressure. It's tradition.

I dig your main idea here, and indeed the core point of Poch's tactics is to pin the opposition back with forward passing such that we don't allow them to do their thing. But it will come, and as of this moment we're not sorted at CB, which is why I favor a more physical holding CM partnership for this one.

Good point though nonetheless, and I hope my concerns look dumb this weekend as I do at this point believe we'll roll out with Holtby alongside Capoue. Holtby playing the first 70 or so and then replaced by Bentaleb after sitting on a lead along with some introduction of late speed up front in the form of Townsend sounds pretty sweet to me.
I'd like Holtby and Capoue as the '2' to start.

If Poch feels confident with it, I'm all for it. I think that combo has the potential to control the midfield through possession all day.
The ball is going to go forward, and quickly and short. This won't be learned overnight. Expect some draws that we should have won, and some losses that we should have drawn. By the time we get this right, we will be a team to be taken very seriously. Short term patience is vital.

Short term patience is vital.

:chadliblow:

If there's one thing we haven't demonstrated as a fan base (for the most part) it is short term patience. I'd even throw myself in that category at times to be perfectly honest. I happen to completely agree with you in this regard, but I just don't know how long people are going give before the bitching starts.

The ball is going to go forward, and quickly and short. This won't be learned overnight. Expect some draws that we should have won, and some losses that we should have drawn. By the time we get this right, we will be a team to be taken very seriously. Short term patience is vital.

No worries mi amigo, I wasn't born into this as you lucky few were, I chose it. Wouldn't have done so if I didn't expect draws we should have won and losses we should have drawn.

I do very much hope we afford Poch the time we haven't for our managers in recent years, as at this point, we can't afford not to. Nonetheless, this game means a lot to me. Hate losing to Wet Spam more than any other, so last year was beyond unbearable. I also absolutely love me a good revenge story.

No worries mi amigo, I wasn't born into this as you lucky few were, I chose it. Wouldn't have done so if I didn't expect draws we should have won and losses we should have drawn.

I do very much hope we afford Poch the time we haven't for our managers in recent years, as at this point, we can't afford not to. Nonetheless, this game means a lot to me. Hate losing to Wet Spam more than any other, so last year was beyond unbearable. I also absolutely love me a good revenge story.
That wasn't aimed at you - you've been gibbsed man. No need for the 'born into this' stuff either. You are so Spurs, and you know the score as much as anybody. Comfortable 0-2. They are shit, and now we have a manager that understands this.

Back
Top Bottom