Lewis Holtby

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

:chadliblow:

If there's one thing we haven't demonstrated as a fan base (for the most part) it is short term patience. I'd even throw myself in that category at times to be perfectly honest. I happen to completely agree with you in this regard, but I just don't know how long people are going give before the bitching starts.
Well fuck them, it's part of modern football. I don't really care to be honest. We are going to have a rough season before we have a great season - and if people can't deal with that - they should fuck off, and support someone else. You know who you are.

Well fuck them, it's part of modern football. I don't really care to be honest. We are going to have a rough season before we have a great season - and if people can't deal with that - they should fuck off, and support someone else. You know who you are.
Yeah, I think we've been way too impatient, and I again include myself in this group. I am giving Poch my full support and am prepared to deal with some less than impressive games at the start, but I'm trying to be patient. It's a lot of new players still and a new system once again. Things won't be all rosy for a while, hopefully I'm wrong, and we need to give the team the backing they need.

The only caveat I will give is that I think we just want to see some heart behind it. We can deal with some losses and ties if we can see some glimmer of light at the end of it. Slow play, no heart, and shit results will see the walls crumble much faster than a team that still appears to be giving their all, but isn't getting the results that we all want.

No worries mi amigo, I wasn't born into this as you lucky few were, I chose it. Wouldn't have done so if I didn't expect draws we should have won and losses we should have drawn.

I do very much hope we afford Poch the time we haven't for our managers in recent years, as at this point, we can't afford not to. Nonetheless, this game means a lot to me. Hate losing to Wet Spam more than any other, so last year was beyond unbearable. I also absolutely love me a good revenge story.
I chose too, I was seven, but I chose. My dad took me to Stamford Bridge, but I hated it. A year later he'd given in, and I saw my first game at WHL.

Yeah, I think we've been way too impatient, and I again include myself in this group. I am giving Poch my full support and am prepared to deal with some less than impressive games at the start, but I'm trying to be patient. It's a lot of new players still and a new system once again. Things won't be all rosy for a while, hopefully I'm wrong, and we need to give the team the backing they need.

The only caveat I will give is that I think we just want to see some heart behind it. We can deal with some losses and ties if we can see some glimmer of light at the end of it. Slow play, no heart, and shit results will see the walls crumble much faster than a team that still appears to be giving their all, but isn't getting the results that we all want.

Fair enough, but it does seem that Poch has a way that he wants us to play, and players that don't fit that idea will be moved on very quickly. Obviously heart and passion is what we all want to see, but on a hard nosed, professional front, let him assemble a team that will be technically, and physically able to implement his ideas. This will probably take 2 summer windows.

That wasn't aimed at you - you've been gibbsed man. No need for the 'born into this' stuff either. You are so Spurs, and you know the score as much as anybody. Comfortable 0-2. They are shit, and now we have a manager that understands this.

Haha no fear bud, not even remotely bothered.

Hope you're right man, would love to watch Holtby run Noble ragged in the midst of that glorious revenge.

What worried me about yesterday was that a whole lot of players looked like they were not physically or mentally fit for the game.

West Ham too went snooring through the first 15mins or so, but when they woke up we got tanked.

Weird to see a local derby with such a bunch of deflated players to start off with. I expected chrash-boom-bang from the off.

Not blaiming Poch as such, just suprised.

What worried me about yesterday was that a whole lot of players looked like they were not physically or mentally fit for the game.

West Ham too went snooring through the first 15mins or so, but when they woke up we got tanked.

Weird to see a local derby with such a bunch of deflated players to start off with. I expected chrash-boom-bang from the off.

Said pretty much exactly the same yesterday..

Far too many just didn't look fit.. For the first game of the season that's pretty worrying.
All this bollocks about the World Cup players not being ready is none sense. They only played a handful of games and had plenty of time to recover. They are 50 to 100k paid athletes.
I couldn't have enjoyed the result any more, but if it was another club we may well have got spanked.

That back four worried the life out of me, we need Walker and Vert back sooner rather than later.

Possible news or not.

Tottenham are willing to listen to offers for Lewis Holtby, who they signed from Schalke for £1.5m in January 2013, as QPR and Crystal Palace line up moves for the 23-year-old midfielder. (Daily Mail)

Yeh I know, it's the Daily Fail and all that. WTF.
What does this fella need to do to get a break ?
I'm at a loss.
:pochfacepalm:

Possible news or not.

Tottenham are willing to listen to offers for Lewis Holtby, who they signed from Schalke for £1.5m in January 2013, as QPR and Crystal Palace line up moves for the 23-year-old midfielder. (Daily Mail)

Yeh I know, it's the Daily Fail and all that. WTF.
What does this fella need to do to get a break ?
I'm at a loss.
:pochfacepalm:

To start I guess. Fans of almost every decent team out there are including him in their "wishlists" as if he's perennially available. Ridiculous.

Said pretty much exactly the same yesterday..

Far too many just didn't look fit.. For the first game of the season that's pretty worrying.
All this bollocks about the World Cup players not being ready is none sense. They only played a handful of games and had plenty of time to recover. They are 50 to 100k paid athletes.
I couldn't have enjoyed the result any more, but if it was another club we may well have got spanked.

That back four worried the life out of me, we need Walker and Vert back sooner rather than later.

Glad to see an "in the flesh" account of this lack of fitness, as I could not agree more.

As said above, I did notice this as well. Holtby was the biggest indication, as from what we saw all preseason and against Schalke in particular, he was buzzin all over the park. Even right after he stepped on, he appeared to be in pain while tracking back to defend, doing the age old indication of exhaustion: head down and bobbing, gritted teeth, swinging arms like mad to build up momentum. Right from the off.

It's my belief simply that the last week may have featured some brutal fitness work. When the whole of the squad looked off a step, and even the subs looked a bit wore out (Townsend also pinned Spam back at first with his shooting, then disappeared the last 15-20 minutes; Kane's dribbling and holdup play was abhorrent, but fortunately it got it done for the assist), and everyone looked so sharp off the mark in preseason, you have to wonder if the previous week flat out wore them thin.

:chadliblow:

If there's one thing we haven't demonstrated as a fan base (for the most part) it is short term patience. I'd even throw myself in that category at times to be perfectly honest. I happen to completely agree with you in this regard, but I just don't know how long people are going give before the bitching starts.
Good point - I've certainly got less patient. But I think we'll all give Poch and the players time if we can see some direction, passion and flair.

The fitness is always an issue at the start of the season. Even if the players have played friendlies, they aren't really match fit, because they haven't played competitive games. And with the level of our opponents this summer, apart from Schalke, it's miles off competitive premier league games.

On top of that, according to reports, Pochettino demands loads more training from his players than other managers. That will take its toll on the players. Even though they are professional athletes, they need time to adjust to 50% more training.

And really, you guys should stop talking about individual performances in the friendlies as if it means anything. The fact that Holtby doesn't look tried against a MLS team doesn't mean that he'll do fine in a derby in the PL.

Let's hope they get match fit sooner rather than later, we have a tough schedule.

Back
Top Bottom