Lewis Holtby

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would definitely prefer him starting over Lennon, considering that Lennon isn't doing a single thing. Bring on Townsend for Holtby if he gets too tired. Only reason it seems that Holtby is tiring quickly, is because he is pressing and running more than anyone on the field (credit to Eriksen he put in a lot of effort against West Ham). Holtby's final product is so much better than Lennon's.

Would definitely prefer him starting over Lennon, considering that Lennon isn't doing a single thing. Bring on Townsend for Holtby if he gets too tired. Only reason it seems that Holtby is tiring quickly, is because he is pressing and running more than anyone on the field (credit to Eriksen he put in a lot of effort against West Ham). Holtby's final product is so much better than Lennon's.

It does feel that running is the biggest part of Holtby's game! He's keen, has a good attitude and we've seen some flashes of ability and potential but, he's had a much longer period to settle and stake a claim to a place and it just hasn't happened yet. Although not alone, tonight he again failed to put down a marker against lowly opposition. I think his work-rate and likeability may far outweigh just plain ability, we'll see.

Tonight he was lame from what I saw of the first half. Got too tight and easily turned many times. Further shows he's not ready to be trusted deep in central midfield.
But of course where else can he play? He lacks the pace and trickery to be a WF and he can't be a number 10 ahead of eriksen, lamela or even Kane.
Unless he can improve his defensive play and general build up play passing I can't see him being more than a squad player/impact sub.
There are good things about him, his pressing, shooting and through balls. If he can improve the rest of his game he'd be a good player.

It does feel that running is the biggest part of Holtby's game! He's keen, has a good attitude and we've seen some flashes of ability and potential but, he's had a much longer period to settle and stake a claim to a place and it just hasn't happened yet. Although not alone, tonight he again failed to put down a marker against lowly opposition. I think his work-rate and likeability may far outweigh just plain ability, we'll see.

Tonight he was lame from what I saw of the first half. Got too tight and easily turned many times. Further shows he's not ready to be trusted deep in central midfield.
But of course where else can he play? He lacks the pace and trickery to be a WF and he can't be a number 10 ahead of eriksen, lamela or even Kane.
Unless he can improve his defensive play and general build up play passing I can't see him being more than a squad player/impact sub.
There are good things about him, his pressing, shooting and through balls. If he can improve the rest of his game he'd be a good player.

Agree.

The guy can only influence a game from the bench (and even thats only sometimes). As a starter he´s just a passenger.

Last edited:
I really don't want us to be in that position again where Eriksen is not available or needs to be rested and we don't have Holtby to come and fill in. If we are even considering moving Holtby (which I don't think we should) we should at least sign another decent ball playing midfielder - as that is where he and Eriksen are a cut above the rest.

I really don't want us to be in that position again where Eriksen is not available or needs to be rested and we don't have Holtby to come and fill in. If we are even considering moving Holtby (which I don't think we should) we should at least sign another decent ball playing midfielder - as that is where he and Eriksen are a cut above the rest.

I don't see the need in selling him. Is not the best, but can slot in nicely to either of those 3 AM positions and even deeper if needed.

Has a lot of energy, doesn't command huge wages and didn't cost much.

Whats even more scary is if we actually try to replace an injured Eriksen by playing Holtby there from the start.

Whether he stays or goes, if Eriksen gets injured a bit more tactical thinking is going to be needed by Poch...maybe pushing Dembele up if anything.

Holtby is not a shoe in for Eriksen. He is not clever enough or disciplined enough to take that role and play 90 minutes week in week out. We will suffer.

You dont replace a damaged Audi at Le Mans with a Mini Cooper.

Whats even more scary is if we actually try to replace an injured Eriksen by playing Holtby there from the start.

Whether he stays or goes, if Eriksen gets injured a bit more tactical thinking is going to be needed by Poch...maybe pushing Dembele up if anything.

Holtby is not a shoe in for Eriksen. He is not clever enough or disciplined enough to take that role and play 90 minutes week in week out. We will suffer.

Fair point, but you'd take the Cooper to work if the Audi didn't start.

Dembele?

Know what you're saying but Dembele in AM, not for me - admittedly I might be forgetting some decent performances there?

If Eriksen is unavailable we can play Lamela more centrally or put Kane behind the striker.

Know what you're saying but Dembele in AM, not for me - admittedly I might be forgetting some decent performances there?

If Eriksen gets injured Id much prefer to see:

........................Bentaleb....................Capoue

.....................................Dembele

Lamela.......................................................Chadli

......................................Ade

Than:

................Bentaleb....................Capoue

Lamela....................Holtby.................Chadli

................................Ade

If Eriksen gets injured Id much prefer to see:

........................Bentaleb....................Capoue

.....................................Dembele

Lamela.......................................................Chadli

......................................Ade

Than:

................Bentaleb....................Capoue

Lamela....................Holtby.................Chadli

................................Ade

I'm undecided. Think would prefer Townsend on 'wing' to Dembele though if we're doing that. Agree Lamela in middle though tbf, without a doubt

If Eriksen is unavailable we can play Lamela more centrally or put Kane behind the striker.
Yeah fair point, but I was more pointing towards Eriksen and Holtby being our most 'creative' types. We don't have many midfielders with an eye for a pass like those two, and whilst Chadli/Lamela are both very good ball players - I've yet to see too much from them that makes me think they would be able to create from the centre of the park.

Yeah fair point, but I was more pointing towards Eriksen and Holtby being our most 'creative' types. We don't have many midfielders with an eye for a pass like those two, and whilst Chadli/Lamela are both very good ball players - I've yet to see too much from them that makes me think they would be able to create from the centre of the park.
I appreciate Holtby's eye for a through ball, but I like Lamela's/Kane's overall game more. Holtby impressed in pre-season, but it seems that when the important games come he's overlooked (again).

Back
Top Bottom