Is Gareth Bale a Spurs legend?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Gareth Bale a Spurs legend?

• Yes

Votes: 68 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 46 40.4%

• Total voters
I still don't hold much hard feeling against him going to Madrid, it was probably our brinkmanship that made it seem as bad as it was. When Ronaldo went to Madrid Man U were winning cups and titles left right and centre buy he still went and there doesn't seem to be half the bad feeling toward him as there is towards Bale. In the best player to play for Spurs case though Modric wins though.

Bale was the spark that made us the toast of the prem. His run with us was the best I've ever seen. He won the writers and players player of the year a few times. How can you not be a legend if you were voted the best out of a 1000 pros?

IMO hes the best player that has ever played for Spurs. World record fee. People mentioning Greavsie etc who are more senior in the legend ranks, but this era is different. Way harder, no passing back to the keeper and smokes at half time.

Bale did it the hard way. His early years were cursed, he was kicked out of games but he worked hard and kept at it. When other players were getting shitfaced in secret Xmas parties, if Bale was given days off, he'd visit his mother in Cardiff.

In an age of vapid entitled modern pros, he deserves every plaudit in the book.

Long term the money we got for him and the players we invested would help in large part to get us a new stadium. His fee alone accounted for almost a quarter of a new stadium!

And IMO we replaced him with players who can get us better than we were with him over time.
For once, Gibbsy, I agree with everything you say. #legend

He was a fantastic player for us in those 2-3 years prior to leaving, he helped us into the CL and decent positions in league. So I'd put him down as a legend, Gazza to me is a legend.
In terms of him being the best player we've had - I'm not sure. I didn't see Greaves (but by all accounts the guy was incredible) but saw Hoddle and his status, influence and skill was magnificent. He was the starman, he dominated the club and everyone knew it in and out of the club. Bale was only this guy in his final season, possibly only once Modric was away. Gascoigne as well- bearing in mind he was only 23 when he was shitting on folks in the World cup, dominating senior pros, hard men in the old first division when 21/22 - again dominating the game/team/club. Gascoigne didn't have the work ethic or the mentality (or luck) to make it - would have been interesting to see what would have happened if he was 100% when playing for Lazio. Also Waddle was an unbelievable talent and what he did with Marseille was testament to that.
Take all these guys and put them into todays inflated market, particularly for young players, and I think they'd all have been snapped up at an early age by big european clubs - for enourmous fees.

A 'legend' is synonymous with that club IMO. When you think of Ledley King you think of Tottenham Hotspur. When you think of Francesco Totti you think of AS Roma. Giggs = Manchester United.

Jimmy Greaves, Danny Blanchflower, Dave Mackay, Ossie Ardiles, Glenn Hoddle. All these players were supreme footballers are are best known for their time at our club. Will Bale be thought of as the same? If I'm honest, I don't consider him as a true Spurs player - he's now a Galactico. He was a fantastic player for us but I don't think he is a legend.

Nail on head

Bale is already more of a Real Madrid legend than a Spurs one. And if you dont agree with that, well, wait two more years.

Ive never heard of a player being a legend at two different clubs, and if you think by time Bale retires, anyone other than us will even remember he played here, well bad news awaits you.

As some have pointed out, its a real shame, because a legend is more than being a good player. He left us just when he peaked. In what way was he legendary? I dont consider two great seasons as enough.

Bale always struck me as in it for himself. A Ronaldo style contrived passion, and celebrations perfected in the bathroom mirror....

I never saw from him what I saw from VDV when he scored that pen at The Scum.

A TRUE sense of belonging to Spurs.

His obvious hatred for all that is Gooner and Wilshite arent mentioned here but i bloody loved it when we played the NLD and he was all up in that little cunts face. You could just see he understood what it means for Spurs, legend for me.

Cannot judge who is the best ever Spurs player, different players different eras, Greaves and Gilzean for me.
One could do anything with his feet one anything with his head. Bale just does anything!

For once, Gibbsy, I agree with everything you say. #legend

I think I prefer regular abuse from the butthurt PM sin bin night crew to backhanded complements.

Why don't you agree with all the other stuff I say? I've always been pro Ade, Bentaleb, Dembele, Kane, Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela, Capoue etc etc.

And I think Rose, Lennon, Townsend, Naughton and their t(h)ypes are at the soft center of the club. Is that really so off base enough to suggest you can't agree with me?

Even contentious stuff like my backing of Ade, Kaboul and Jan when they were under fire seems to be panning out with Kaboul being named captain and Jan on the brink of a new contract. Other contentious stuff like me gravitating towards big units (oo eer) seems to have panned out with Poch signing beasts.

Perhaps you just jumped on a bandwagon because some posters are louder than others without scratching the surface of my argument?

So yeah...Me no likey backhanded complements. If you want to be popular, I suppose you are doing the right thing by agreeing with me while maintaining I'm not to be respected etc.

I think I prefer regular abuse from the butthurt PM sin bin night crew to backhanded complements.

Why don't you agree with all the other stuff I say? I've always been pro Ade, Bentaleb, Dembele, Kane, Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela, Capoue etc etc.

And I think Rose, Lennon, Townsend, Naughton and their t(h)ypes are at the soft center of the club. Is that really so off base enough to suggest you can't agree with me?

Even contentious stuff like my backing of Ade, Kaboul and Jan when they were under fire seems to be panning out with Kaboul being named captain and Jan on the brink of a new contract. Other contentious stuff like me gravitating towards big units (oo eer) seems to have panned out with Poch signing beasts.

Perhaps you just jumped on a bandwagon because some posters are louder than others without scratching the surface of my argument?
So yeah...Me no likey backhanded complements. If you want to be popular, I suppose you are doing the right thing by agreeing with me while maintaining I'm not to be respected etc.
Woah. Sensitive sod, aren't ya?

Me and gibbs131 don't take too kindly to people who slag off Dembele round these parts.

tumblr_mu2m29maV21sk9g6ao1_400.gif

How many other players in this era (my era, about 92 to now) have spent some of the peak of their career at Spurs and been as good as GB? You could probably count on one hand.

I think there have been plenty of legends at two clubs, maybe even more
Just with the Spurs connection, Greaves, us and Chelsea, Jennings, Woolwich, Ginola Gazza Toon, Waddle Marseilles, Lineker Leicester, maybe even Everton

When you see the lack of magic we've suffered from since Bale left, it just reinforces his legend status to me. Our best player since Hoddle IMHO.

Gareth Bale, he was born to play for....Atour Toma makes his debut on The Fighting Cock and asks the question: Is Bale a Spurs legend? Agree, disagree? Read before commenting, It helps.

Read article
Ummm, a legend, I don't know, but quite possibly.

I have been going to the lane since 1971, and have had the privilege to watch some true brilliants wearing a white shirt. Bale in my opinion is the most gifted and entertaining Spurs player I have ever seen. This I know is a massive statement, but one I believe to be true

Back
Top Bottom