Is Gareth Bale a Spurs legend?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Gareth Bale a Spurs legend?

• Yes

Votes: 68 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 46 40.4%

• Total voters
No!
Now, I don't like using religious comparisons, but suffice to say, he's not a legend, he's just a naughty boy!
For all the reasons already mentioned, he may have had one brilliant season where he carried us, but we still didn't achieve anything that year, unlike Saurez/Messi/Ronaldo whose presence did make a difference. I will have felt differently if he had given us another season.
Think that this has now been done to death, and should definitely be in the Other Football section, as he made his feelings towards us pretty crystal in his manner of leaving. So, thanks for the memories and let's move on.

I don't think he's a spurs legend just like Berbatov, Carrick, Keane and Modric aren't. The latest 'legend' for me would be Defoe - but I don't know how you guys see him.

A 'legend' is synonymous with that club IMO. When you think of Ledley King you think of Tottenham Hotspur. When you think of Francesco Totti you think of AS Roma. Giggs = Manchester United.

Jimmy Greaves, Danny Blanchflower, Dave Mackay, Ossie Ardiles, Glenn Hoddle. All these players were supreme footballers are are best known for their time at our club. Will Bale be thought of as the same? If I'm honest, I don't consider him as a true Spurs player - he's now a Galactico. He was a fantastic player for us but I don't think he is a legend.

Not that I think it makes a blind bit of difference. He was always going to move on when they came calling, and we should just remember him for his time at Spurs and the great memories we have of him

I voted yes because i fucking can. He is not a legend, but he did some brilliant shit, and until somebody else does this for us, i consider him a legend, because i fucking can. :pochbye:

To me Bale is a Spurs Legend, and he is also in my all time Spurs XI, which stretches back to the double team, and includes only Spurs legends.

For me the three player of the year trophies that Bale won with us, plus the small part he played in helping us to win our only major trophy this century make him a legend. Part of the reason he won those awards of course included what he did to help us to the CL and do so spectacularly well in the group stage.

Easily one of the all time Spurs greats, a phenomenon of nature, with so much skill and physical, truly incredible to behold.

Yes, legend. We have to face that in football, a club of our stature won't keep that huge a player. His history of overcoming injuries, the team not winning a league game with him playing for the first two and a half years, him coming of age and starting to show glimpses, scoring some magnificent goals, helping us qualify for CL, completely destroying the champions and their best in the world right back, carrying us alone under AVB, becoming player of the year, going for a world record fee to Real Madrid and become match winner in CL final in first season there.

We have helped develop two of the absolute best players in the world in Modric and Bale, and should be proud rather than mad. We helped them, they helped us.

Bale is a legend.

For me, yes he is a legend.
In 10, 20, 30, 40+ years mums, dads and kids will still be talking about how they saw Bale do, this and whatever......
He was with us for 5yrs, yes he is. a legend and he is ours.

Watch this and tell me it doesn't make you well up a bit...Gareth Bale Animation. Tottenham vs Inter Milan (…: pretty legendary stuff I reckon...

A 'legend' is synonymous with that club IMO. When you think of Ledley King you think of Tottenham Hotspur. When you think of Francesco Totti you think of AS Roma. Giggs = Manchester United.

Jimmy Greaves, Danny Blanchflower, Dave Mackay, Ossie Ardiles, Glenn Hoddle. All these players were supreme footballers are are best known for their time at our club. Will Bale be thought of as the same? If I'm honest, I don't consider him as a true Spurs player - he's now a Galactico. He was a fantastic player for us but I don't think he is a legend.

Not that I think it makes a blind bit of difference. He was always going to move on when they came calling, and we should just remember him for his time at Spurs and the great memories we have of him

Hard not to agree...
ability is one thing, putting that ability to the greater good of Tottenham Hotspur YEAR in YEAR out is where legends are born!
A couple of decent years in the spotlight (after a couple as a bleedin' Jonah, lest we forget!) doesn't warrant LEGEND status...
that's NOT to say he wasn't/isn't/will forever be one of the most gifted and greatest players ever to play for us... he just didn't quite get us to the level that HE saw for himself... and by that, I mean CONSISTENTLY, (rather than a flash-in-the-pan solitary season) unfortunately, Real Madrid had to do that for him, and therefore, he won't be a legend in my teary eyes, sorry!

Yes, legend. We have to face that in football, a club of our stature won't keep that huge a player. His history of overcoming injuries, the team not winning a league game with him playing for the first two and a half years, him coming of age and starting to show glimpses, scoring some magnificent goals, helping us qualify for CL, completely destroying the champions and their best in the world right back, carrying us alone under AVB, becoming player of the year, going for a world record fee to Real Madrid and become match winner in CL final in first season there.

We have helped develop two of the absolute best players in the world in Modric and Bale, and should be proud rather than mad. We helped them, they helped us.

Bale is a legend.

Ah, but isn't THAT exactly what defines a legend... player who stays, when obvious temptation/riches/success could be his elsewhere... I know it's a lesser example, but here are three words to explain precisely what I mean; Matt.... Le... Tissier!

Can't believe yes is winning.

A great footballer who may grow into being a legend.
But it's not as if we brought him up through out youth system, or he spent the best part of his career here, or he played his best football for us, or he led us to football glory.
Any one of those criteria and I'd consider him, but he hasn't done any as of yet.

We had a great player for a short time, love him to bits, but he's not a legend in my book

Maybe a football legend, but not a spurs one

Ah, but isn't THAT exactly what defines a legend... player who stays, when obvious temptation/riches/success could be his elsewhere... I know it's a lesser example, but here are three words to explain precisely what I mean; Matt.... Le... Tissier!

Not to me. I might be more liberal with the term "legend", but I also think that loyalty is overrated by supporters. We demand that a player is loyal to a club, despite all it can cost him (development, money, fame, individual titles, team titles), yet neither clubs nor fans are loyal to players (Sigurdsson and Dawson wanted to stay, many fans wants Lennon to leave, forgetting all the years he's been here).

That being said, of course loyalty can be a factor. But it's far from the only one.

Bale might just have been the best individual player that has ever been here (not saying he definately was).

Can't believe yes is winning.

A great footballer who may grow into being a legend.
But it's not as if we brought him up through out youth system, or he spent the best part of his career here, or he played his best football for us, or he led us to football glory.
Any one of those criteria and I'd consider him, but he hasn't done any as of yet.

We had a great player for a short time, love him to bits, but he's not a legend in my book

Maybe a football legend, but not a spurs one

Short time? 2007-2013. 6 years. Not too shabby. He led us to relative glory by demolishing Inter. He represented the club on the cover of Fifa - which illustrates his status and had huge commercial value for the club. He was PFA player of the year twice during his time here, which no other Spurs player has achieved (only five players in the award's history have won it twice, none more).

Seems to me his years here were pretty decent. He may have better seasons to come, but is probably still the best we've ever had.

King, Bale, Modric, and Berbatov were the four best players I've seen at the club. King is an obvious legend but the other three well I wouldn't call them legends. Massively talented players that I'm extremely happy to have watched at my club, absolutely. However, the way all three left soured their legendary status.

Maybe a bit like how some older than me talk about Klinsmann. Great to watch, lucky to have them, will be mentioned immediately as among the best you've ever seen but just killed off too much good will to be a proper legend.

Oooh, what a slut he is, teasing us now...
Gareth Bale:
“The fans have been unbelievable with me,” Bale said. “They’ve supported me through the bad times and believed in me and I’ll never forget the great European nights at White Hart Lane. They were amazing.
Tottenham will always have a place in my heart. I hope the fans still love me even though I’ve moved on. I hope they understand that obviously Real Madrid is a massive, massive club and that they respect my decision.
“From the moment Real Madrid put the offer in it was obviously difficult. [Tottenham] was somewhere I felt so comfortable and so happy - it was difficult to leave but when Real Madrid come in it’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
“I love all the Tottenham fans and hopefully one day, you never know, I could be back.”

In his retirement season in 2027/28

Back
Top Bottom