Is Gareth Bale a Spurs legend?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Gareth Bale a Spurs legend?

• Yes

Votes: 68 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 46 40.4%

• Total voters
True legends such as Greaves, Blanchflower, Hoddle, Ardilles , their days of glory were with us, not a steppingstone .
Yes if the club was run back then like today we would have had
no golden age or legends of such status as they would have all moved on,
or not been signed in the first place because of the high fees .
To be fair who blamed him for going, he saw a team playing the best football in Britain
raped of any creativity , the platform for his long term ambition was destroyed for
net accountancy . The sad thing is under a different direction he could have been.

Different people have different notions of what a legend it.

Is it a brilliant player who plays for 2-3 seasons then leaves for greener pastures?

Is it an uncomplaining squad player who stayed with the same club for a decade until he retires?

Bale was the spark that made us the toast of the prem. His run with us was the best I've ever seen. He won the writers and players player of the year a few times. How can you not be a legend if you were voted the best out of a 1000 pros?

IMO hes the best player that has ever played for Spurs. World record fee. People mentioning Greavsie etc who are more senior in the legend ranks, but this era is different. Way harder, no passing back to the keeper and smokes at half time.

Bale did it the hard way. His early years were cursed, he was kicked out of games but he worked hard and kept at it. When other players were getting shitfaced in secret Xmas parties, if Bale was given days off, he'd visit his mother in Cardiff.

In an age of vapid entitled modern pros, he deserves every plaudit in the book.

Long term the money we got for him and the players we invested would help in large part to get us a new stadium. His fee alone accounted for almost a quarter of a new stadium!

And IMO we replaced him with players who can get us better than we were with him over time.

"Gazza spent less time (4 years) at Spurs playing considerably less games (92 games) than Bale (6 years, 146 games) and achieving similar honours. Waddle, also, played less games than Bale (4 years, 138 games) and won nothing in the way of honours."

The thing is Bale only gave us about a season and a half of greatness, he was mainly developing the time he was here.
I understand that he had to go but I would have liked one more season out of him- but I can see how that could be impractical.

I'm on the fence. I don't dislike him at all though.
I'm also on the fence. The Waddle example doesn't work because of the Heysel ban.

Bale was the spark that made us the toast of the prem. His run with us was the best I've ever seen. He won the writers and players player of the year a few times. How can you not be a legend if you were voted the best out of a 1000 pros?

IMO hes the best player that has ever played for Spurs. World record fee. People mentioning Greavsie etc who are more senior in the legend ranks, but this era is different. Way harder, no passing back to the keeper and smokes at half time.

Bale did it the hard way. His early years were cursed, he was kicked out of games but he worked hard and kept at it. When other players were getting shitfaced in secret Xmas parties, if Bale was given days off, he'd visit his mother in Cardiff.

Long term the money we got for him and the players we invested would help in large part to get us a new stadium. His fee alone accounted for almost a quarter of a new stadium!

And IMO we replaced him with players who can get us better than we were with him over time.
I agree with mostly what you say wholeheartedly!
...Still voted no 'cause i'm a bitter cunt..

I agree with mostly what you say wholeheartedly!
...Still voted no 'cause i'm a bitter cunt..

Haha

IMO he's not just a Spurs legend, but a premiership legend. He was the marquee golden boy of the league when promoting it. The types of 20 second highlight clips that get kids asking their parents to get them a football.

People are letting what he's done with Real cloud their judgement... "yeah we used to know him, before he was famous"

An EPL legend. Yes. A model professional. Yes. A decent family man & a role model. Yes. A spurs legend. No. Somehow it seems different when it comes to spurs. He won nothing with us (we can speculate why) & bailed out to the Harlem Globetrotters of world football. & they got a dicking tonight-lol. He's a great player- one of the best right now & a model pro, but he will never be a spurs legend. I am a bitter old bastard.

Great players who play for the club become legends...players who leave because they become great, do not.

For my money Bale was a season or so away from becoming a Spurs legend.

For me he is.
He single handedly carried us for a season and delivered some of the best moments in our recent history. Not only was he a special player but he did it on the biggest stage too.
Goals against all of the top 4. Home and away I believe, not sure about at Anfield? Goals against West Ham home and away, goals against Man City home and away.
Hat-trick in the San Siro, slaughtered Maicon (and his reputation) at the Lane. Result makes it irrelevant but he also has a Wembley goal to his name with us.

Few players have matched what he did at Spurs, did he win a trophy? No but not many have in recent times. People mention Gazza because he did win a trophy but it wasn't his impact on us winning the final, his challenge put us 1-0 down before going off injured as a result of it.

I also think it's unfair comparing him to King's legendary status. King is certainly a legend but he was never put in the position Bale was where his 'loyalty' was questioned. Ledley may well have spent his career at Spurs regardless but a dodgy knee certainly made it an easier choice to stay put. Being realistic had he been fully fit he could have played anywhere he wanted.

Whether he was a legend or not I don't know, although I voted yes. What I do know is that he was great for us and that he will never be forgotten for all those games he did all those special things.

He is a special player, and I am so pleased that he has graced the Lilywhite shirt. I hope he will return one day!

Great player, certainly one of the best to ever play for spurs. I had no problem with him wanting to leave for madrid. He is a too good a player to be playing for a 6th placed team, playing in the europa cup. What I do take issue with is the way in which he left, it showed a lack of respect for the club and us fans. There for he is not a spurs legend for me. .....the fucking welsh sheep shagging cunt!

Back
Top Bottom