Is Gareth Bale a Spurs legend?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Gareth Bale a Spurs legend?

• Yes

Votes: 68 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 46 40.4%

• Total voters
"Gazza spent less time (4 years) at Spurs playing considerably less games (92 games) than Bale (6 years, 146 games) and achieving similar honours. Waddle, also, played less games than Bale (4 years, 138 games) and won nothing in the way of honours."

The thing is Bale only gave us about a season and a half of greatness, he was mainly developing the time he was here.
I understand that he had to go but I would have liked one more season out of him- but I can see how that could be impractical.

I'm on the fence. I don't dislike him at all though.

I am unsure as well, there is no reason why he shouldn't be considered a legend but for some reason it seems a little unnatural to label him that.

One person who I would put in the list of legends is Robbie Keane who always gets overlooked.

I am unsure as well, there is no reason why he shouldn't be considered a legend but for some reason it seems a little unnatural to label him that.

One person who I would put in the list of legends is Robbie Keane who always gets overlooked.

RK was on his way there until he decided that Liverpool were his 'boyhood club' and he simply had to play for them. By the time he came back he was broken. It's one thing going to one of the biggest clubs in the world with an incredible squad like Madrid and another jumping shop for a side who were pretty much on a downward trajectory.

Will always remember him fondly but that whole debacle soured his legacy in my mind

I don't think he can be. I think we discussed what it is that makes a legend for a club a while back, and only a handful of players in the past twenty years can realistically be considered a Tottenham Hotspur legend; King, Sheringham, Klinsmann and possibly, for utterly different reasons, Robinson (Freund, too?).

Bale has everything ahead of him to be considered one of Britain's greats, possibly even in the top three Welsh players of all time, no mean feat with the likes of Charles, Rush, Giggs, Southall and Ratcliffe in contention.

I have seldom enjoyed seeing a player of Bale's kind more but I just don't like the term legend being used for players to easily.

That said, I'm now thinking of how important he was during the CL and league campaigns from 2010-2013....and ridiculously good he became. Fuck it, stick him in...

He sold out to Perez who continues to stick it up us, by lying about the special relationship and what benefits it now does not give us as a club.!

Absolutely. Bale single-handedly tearing up Inter Milan and virtually destroying Maicon's reputation is something other supporters remember and talk about now, and something most of us will be talking about to our grandchildren. That's the kind of stuff legends are made of.

Aside from that he was a great servant to the club, worked his ass off in every match, took some unbelievable tackles and kept on running (well, sometimes diving) and coming across like a decent bloke in post match interviews and in his personal life - those are the things that mean we shouldn't feel bad about calling him a legend either. Sure, he acted up in the last week of his time at Spurs but compared to some players it was nothing.

Back
Top Bottom