Is Gareth Bale a Spurs legend?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Gareth Bale a Spurs legend?

• Yes

Votes: 68 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 46 40.4%

• Total voters
I am unsure as well, there is no reason why he shouldn't be considered a legend but for some reason it seems a little unnatural to label him that.

One person who I would put in the list of legends is Robbie Keane who always gets overlooked.

RK was on his way there until he decided that Liverpool were his 'boyhood club' and he simply had to play for them. By the time he came back he was broken. It's one thing going to one of the biggest clubs in the world with an incredible squad like Madrid and another jumping shop for a side who were pretty much on a downward trajectory.

Will always remember him fondly but that whole debacle soured his legacy in my mind

"Gazza spent less time (4 years) at Spurs playing considerably less games (92 games) than Bale (6 years, 146 games) and achieving similar honours. Waddle, also, played less games than Bale (4 years, 138 games) and won nothing in the way of honours."

The thing is Bale only gave us about a season and a half of greatness, he was mainly developing the time he was here.
I understand that he had to go but I would have liked one more season out of him- but I can see how that could be impractical.

I'm on the fence. I don't dislike him at all though.

People mention it time after time, but imo, this word truly is overused.

To keep it as simple as possible ... A legend is someone who is synonymous with the club.
Is Bale that fella? I really don't know. Right now, to me (and to most of the world), he's known more as a Madrid Galatico, than an ex-Yiddo.

Let me ask this question: Do United fans consider Ronaldo a true legend of their club?
Yes, you will see both sides of the debate. But I have more often seen views against, rather than for that statement. Ronaldo will just never be like Giggs.

I mean, I absolutely adore Bale.
Honestly speaking - me being a relatively new fan, one of the reasons why I fell in love with Spurs had to do with Bale. He indeed gave us glory-glory nights and brilliant memories that will forever stay with me, but idk ... for me, it's just too early to consider him a proper Spurs legend. He's just not like our King (yet). Maybe as times passes on - or even better yet, if Bale returns to Spurs one day - I'll (and we all will) readily and truly accept that notion. But right now, he's just a world class player that used to wear the lily-white, whom I loved watching.

No!
Now, I don't like using religious comparisons, but suffice to say, he's not a legend, he's just a naughty boy!
For all the reasons already mentioned, he may have had one brilliant season where he carried us, but we still didn't achieve anything that year, unlike Saurez/Messi/Ronaldo whose presence did make a difference. I will have felt differently if he had given us another season.
Think that this has now been done to death, and should definitely be in the Other Football section, as he made his feelings towards us pretty crystal in his manner of leaving. So, thanks for the memories and let's move on.

A 'legend' is synonymous with that club IMO. When you think of Ledley King you think of Tottenham Hotspur. When you think of Francesco Totti you think of AS Roma. Giggs = Manchester United.

Jimmy Greaves, Danny Blanchflower, Dave Mackay, Ossie Ardiles, Glenn Hoddle. All these players were supreme footballers are are best known for their time at our club. Will Bale be thought of as the same? If I'm honest, I don't consider him as a true Spurs player - he's now a Galactico. He was a fantastic player for us but I don't think he is a legend.

Not that I think it makes a blind bit of difference. He was always going to move on when they came calling, and we should just remember him for his time at Spurs and the great memories we have of him

True legends such as Greaves, Blanchflower, Hoddle, Ardilles , their days of glory were with us, not a steppingstone .
Yes if the club was run back then like today we would have had
no golden age or legends of such status as they would have all moved on,
or not been signed in the first place because of the high fees .
To be fair who blamed him for going, he saw a team playing the best football in Britain
raped of any creativity , the platform for his long term ambition was destroyed for
net accountancy . The sad thing is under a different direction he could have been.

Bale was the spark that made us the toast of the prem. His run with us was the best I've ever seen. He won the writers and players player of the year a few times. How can you not be a legend if you were voted the best out of a 1000 pros?

IMO hes the best player that has ever played for Spurs. World record fee. People mentioning Greavsie etc who are more senior in the legend ranks, but this era is different. Way harder, no passing back to the keeper and smokes at half time.

Bale did it the hard way. His early years were cursed, he was kicked out of games but he worked hard and kept at it. When other players were getting shitfaced in secret Xmas parties, if Bale was given days off, he'd visit his mother in Cardiff.

In an age of vapid entitled modern pros, he deserves every plaudit in the book.

Long term the money we got for him and the players we invested would help in large part to get us a new stadium. His fee alone accounted for almost a quarter of a new stadium!

And IMO we replaced him with players who can get us better than we were with him over time.
An EPL legend. Yes. A model professional. Yes. A decent family man & a role model. Yes. A spurs legend. No. Somehow it seems different when it comes to spurs. He won nothing with us (we can speculate why) & bailed out to the Harlem Globetrotters of world football. & they got a dicking tonight-lol. He's a great player- one of the best right now & a model pro, but he will never be a spurs legend. I am a bitter old bastard.

Great players who play for the club become legends...players who leave because they become great, do not.

For my money Bale was a season or so away from becoming a Spurs legend.

Great player, certainly one of the best to ever play for spurs. I had no problem with him wanting to leave for madrid. He is a too good a player to be playing for a 6th placed team, playing in the europa cup. What I do take issue with is the way in which he left, it showed a lack of respect for the club and us fans. There for he is not a spurs legend for me. .....the fucking welsh sheep shagging cunt!

A 'legend' is synonymous with that club IMO. When you think of Ledley King you think of Tottenham Hotspur. When you think of Francesco Totti you think of AS Roma. Giggs = Manchester United.

Jimmy Greaves, Danny Blanchflower, Dave Mackay, Ossie Ardiles, Glenn Hoddle. All these players were supreme footballers are are best known for their time at our club. Will Bale be thought of as the same? If I'm honest, I don't consider him as a true Spurs player - he's now a Galactico. He was a fantastic player for us but I don't think he is a legend.

Nail on head

Bale is already more of a Real Madrid legend than a Spurs one. And if you dont agree with that, well, wait two more years.

Ive never heard of a player being a legend at two different clubs, and if you think by time Bale retires, anyone other than us will even remember he played here, well bad news awaits you.

As some have pointed out, its a real shame, because a legend is more than being a good player. He left us just when he peaked. In what way was he legendary? I dont consider two great seasons as enough.

Bale always struck me as in it for himself. A Ronaldo style contrived passion, and celebrations perfected in the bathroom mirror....

I never saw from him what I saw from VDV when he scored that pen at The Scum.

A TRUE sense of belonging to Spurs.

There is one LEGEND that is definitely still at the club. A man who dedicates each and every day of his life to Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. And his name is...

Bongani Khumalo.

Khumalo_2714887.jpg

Back
Top Bottom