Europa League 14/15 Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Booked up for Besiktas away, and I'd be surprised if there's trouble unless we go over there burning the national flag, and causing the trouble. Same as anywhere - I think Galatasaray would of been a different kettle, but I think there's a lot of mutual respect between Besiktas & Spurs.

More to the point...what a shit group, we got drawn into. Greece, Istanbul & Belgrade. Yay.

Mind you, don't think thats quite as bad as the year we drew Rubin Kazan, PAOK & Shamrock. (Although Dublin was a great trip)

Booked up for Besiktas away, and I'd be surprised if there's trouble unless we go over there burning the national flag, and causing the trouble. Same as anywhere - I think Galatasaray would of been a different kettle, but I think there's a lot of mutual respect between Besiktas & Spurs.

More to the point...what a shit group, we got drawn into. Greece, Istanbul & Belgrade. Yay.

Mind you, don't think thats quite as bad as the year we drew Rubin Kazan, PAOK & Shamrock. (Although Dublin was a great trip)
Agree with you about Besiktas. Have a great trip, I won't be making this one unfortunately having done Partizan instead.

Personally I think it was a really good group. Granted Asteras Tripoli will be shit, but Partizan and Besiktas are both great grounds (atmosphere wise) and cities to visit. I don't think the atmosphere at Besiktas will be as good as last time as they are playing at a different stadium, but it should still be good. It's true that these places are expensive to get to, but the cost of living when you get there is much cheaper than Western Europe, so it should even things out a bit.

Agree with you about Besiktas. Have a great trip, I won't be making this one unfortunately having done Partizan instead.

Personally I think it was a really good group. Granted Asteras Tripoli will be shit, but Partizan and Besiktas are both great grounds (atmosphere wise) and cities to visit. I don't think the atmosphere at Besiktas will be as good as last time as they are playing at a different stadium, but it should still be good. It's true that these places are expensive to get to, but the cost of living when you get there is much cheaper than Western Europe, so it should even things out a bit.

Agree with what you're saying - 'cause it's different. Why I prefer following us in the EL to when we was in the CL . The year we was in the CL, I went Twente / Holland, Bremen / Germany & Milan / Italy. I have Woolwich mates who do the same trips year in year out but the Europa has given us a chance to go Slovenia, Cyprus, Ukraine etc. Although Greece just doesnt appeal to me.

I am looking forward to it, and I should be doing the same as you in terms of swerving Besiktas having done Cyprus in the qualifiers - why is it so easy to get carried away when the draws made and book things you can't afford haha?

Agree with what you're saying - 'cause it's different. Why I prefer following us in the EL to when we was in the CL . The year we was in the CL, I went Twente / Holland, Bremen / Germany & Milan / Italy. I have Woolwich mates who do the same trips year in year out but the Europa has given us a chance to go Slovenia, Cyprus, Ukraine etc. Although Greece just doesnt appeal to me.

I am looking forward to it, and I should be doing the same as you in terms of swerving Besiktas having done Cyprus in the qualifiers - why is it so easy to get carried away when the draws made and book things you can't afford haha?
Yeah, I agree that it has certain advantages over the CL. Some Greek clubs would have been amazing IMO (Olympiakos, PAOK etc) but the team we are playing I had never heard of, and apparently they are a very small club without much in the way of a hardcore fanbase. I think we will struggle to get 100 people for that one.

What was the Cyprus game like? In terms of our fans/their fans/how many yids there etc?

Yeah, I agree that it has certain advantages over the CL. Some Greek clubs would have been amazing IMO (Olympiakos, PAOK etc) but the team we are playing I had never heard of, and apparently they are a very small club without much in the way of a hardcore fanbase. I think we will struggle to get 100 people for that one.

What was the Cyprus game like? In terms of our fans/their fans/how many yids there etc?

I know someone who is going Asteras - who is getting a taxi from Athens, which you only need to do a quick google map search to realise that won't be cheap.

Cyprus was a good trip - did 3 nights in Ayia Napa for it & travelled to Larnaca early doors on the day of the game, and back to Napa straight after the game. Was a good day, pub we was in was 90% Cypriot Spurs, and was pretty much the same in the ground. I'd say 100 (150 tops) travelled from England - then it was a mixture of Cypriot Spurs, Spurs on holiday in Cyprus (families) & general holidaymakers. Was people in our end in Liverpool shirts, Bolton shirts etc. Wasn't ideal. Their fans were decent considering the ground was 50km away from there home!

Was an all round decent trip but doubt I'd return to Cyprus with Spurs unless it was under better circumstances ... I.E not having 9 days from draw to match!

I know someone who is going Asteras - who is getting a taxi from Athens, which you only need to do a quick google map search to realise that won't be cheap.

Cyprus was a good trip - did 3 nights in Ayia Napa for it & travelled to Larnaca early doors on the day of the game, and back to Napa straight after the game. Was a good day, pub we was in was 90% Cypriot Spurs, and was pretty much the same in the ground. I'd say 100 (150 tops) travelled from England - then it was a mixture of Cypriot Spurs, Spurs on holiday in Cyprus (families) & general holidaymakers. Was people in our end in Liverpool shirts, Bolton shirts etc. Wasn't ideal. Their fans were decent considering the ground was 50km away from there home!

Was an all round decent trip but doubt I'd return to Cyprus with Spurs unless it was under better circumstances ... I.E not having 9 days from draw to match!
Sounds strange in the ground but a good trip overall. Must have cost you a fair amount considering the timeframe, well done for making the effort.

Asteras Tripolis tickets go on sale on Mon.
Lets get the 1882/block 35 ball rolling early.
Just buy there anyway, the club are bound to give it to us eventually - cant see them having a large following at the Lane!

Absolutely. But I'm not so sure this is any easier than getting 4th in the league (as some have argued).
Of course you're right, but having two shots at it keeps it interesting for longer - plus as Yorkie says, the prospect of some top night games, with a possible trophy at the end. If it was easy no one would give us credit if we did happen to pull it off.

Of course you're right, but having two shots at it keeps it interesting for longer - plus as Yorkie says, the prospect of some top night games, with a possible trophy at the end. If it was easy no one would give us credit if we did happen to pull it off.
Of course we need to qualify from our group first, but after that there's plenty of chances for glory. We'll be an outsider and I think that fits us well right now.

It sucks: CL drop outs should be eliminated and not given a second chance, they are just rewarding mediocrity.

Back
Top Bottom